Why become a member? ×

Low down on the really low stuff

7string

I read a topic this afternoon asking about 'big, fat strings' and that got me thinking a lot of 'why?' questions. I didn't want to divert that thread, so i thought I'd start another.

Before I go on, I have tried the 'search' function !!

OK, so here's the deal... low F#..... Why is it worth all the hassle getting a string heavy enough to play the note and then finding the amplification needed to hear it ??

Being of the ERB persuasion, this is not meant to antagonise fellow ERB'ers, but I just want to know the reason for adding that low F# instead of going B-F. I'll say now that I have never heard a low F# and never played a .175 gauge string....

OK, over to you...

We need to meet up mate 'o)

My personal choice was that I am really into progressive metal, where as you are probably aware, the guitar tunings are getting lower and lower, thus the bass is going doooooooown too!

I just really like the sound of it! - My mate, Rueban, a very talented keyboard player used to show off his 'sub' patches on his Triton with our big PA.. I always panged to get that low on my bass .. so it was only a matter of time before I joined a band that pens in those low notes especially for me!!

I also found that whilst I had the high F string on my Bill Dickens Sig bass, it really wasnt geting used as much as I expected.

yup, thats it.. just a bit more to the tonal pallete!

See that's the thing, I haven't heard it !! Undoubtedly it's something that needs to be experienced...

How much use does the low string get and how defined are the notes..

(I used to bug the keyboard player by playing with the dogfighting plane sounds on his old Korg M1...).

[quote name='dood' post='92218' date='Nov 21 2007, 04:32 PM']My personal choice was that I am really into progressive metal, where as you are probably aware, the guitar tunings are getting lower and lower, thus the bass is going doooooooown too![/quote]

Me too, but even if you're not playing with 8-string guitarists, it helps to have a string more than an octave below the 7-string guitar's low B... same principle as with 5-string compared to a 6-string guitar :)

[quote name='7string' post='92225' date='Nov 21 2007, 04:42 PM']How much use does the low string get[/quote]

How long is a piece of string? I use it when I need it I guess.. much the same as the B, the E etc etc

[quote name='7string' post='92225' date='Nov 21 2007, 04:42 PM']and how defined are the notes..[/quote]

That would depend on a whole load of factors! If you are playing a cardboard bass with guitar pickups into a practice amp, I suspect you wont get much at all from the string.. even worse if it is a dead string.

I think my gear is adequate to reproduce a low F# at a strong enough volume to be heard ;o)

You kinda need to start changing your amplification at around the CSharp or contrasub B string area,then we are talking supersubsonics!!

I checked my rig,and bought a 15" matching cab,because I knew I would need a bit more than a 4x10 to really 'feel' that low end,and it did the trick,I tested it out by dropping my 5s B down,it wasnt perfect but it was useable as a test...I found the sound ok,but If Tech21 made an 18" I would probably buy it,but Im quite happy.

A low Fsharp gets a bit of use as its nice to drop under a guitars E(in fact with the Hipshot I can do that,but its a bit uneven,I guess that'll clear up with and when I get my sh*t together regarding technique) ok its been a week or 2 but its being used,and is useable,but I think I might go to the Power Sits .165
when I get confident (I broke my 1st string on the Bass the other day..the D)...Im not hunting for the .175 yet....yet......

I have a harder job finding the higher strings though.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='92235' date='Nov 21 2007, 05:22 PM']What is progressive about playing metal an octave down? I said as much about the Death Metal that ARGH posted - metal riffs just down an octave.[/quote]

Metals metal mate..... You dont get it,or understand it.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='92235' date='Nov 21 2007, 05:22 PM']What is progressive about playing metal an octave down? I said as much about the Death Metal that ARGH posted - metal riffs just down an octave.[/quote]

Personally I love the sound of a low F# on a guitar, so I have a bass to match it... I tune down a step and a half as well :)

Why tune up,why tune down,why bother at all? Its just childish noise innit?

Its done because it needs to be done,its not intellectual,or really anything quanitifiably measured,some desicions are made conscientiously,but its a primal thing,just go faster,slower,sing higher,grunt lower...

If you 'get' Venom..... who by their admission just took EVERYTHING they could think of and put it to a stupidly mental level (Thats a many sided word mental) and what they were, then it kind of writes itself why it happens.

Why does it happen?,it just does.....

Nooo John.No.

I like to play Progressive Metal/Rock that just happens to use lower tunings. I didn't say that progressive = down tuned.

Its a distinct possibility that as most progressive music writers like to explore beyond the pigeon hole boundaries, that alternative tunings are more prevalent in this genre than others.

Dood,I think we just found a generation gap...

This is kind of where 'Heavy Rock' went some years later...

This guy use's an 8 string by Bee Basses
[url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jAi-JBkebiE"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jAi-JBkebiE[/url]

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='ARGH' post='92292' date='Nov 21 2007, 07:04 PM']Do you know anyone in the UK making an .018 or higher in the UK?[/quote]

\Well, the afore mentioned Warwick do .015 up. but not smaller. Have a chat with the top guys at NewTone strings, I reckon they maybe able to russle something up for you. Tell 'em I sent ya ;o)

Twas me started all the gibering in the other thread.

Call me a Gibbering idiot but why Not???

Try Listening to this Bloke [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=62225202"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=62225202[/url] (you might have to cut n paste as I am crap till I know what I am doing...)Mega and he did not start palying till he was 7 way to old to be any good ha ha

Do we want the same Probably, I still play in a Punk band its the bands 30th Birthday this year I have been doing it for about 14 loads of fun. I still do loads of deps, Jazz, Blues, Function even some pop stuff. I just fancy a change. I write my own dribble and enjoy doing that and even better than that, other people like it too.

And remeber what old hooky said Bass how low can you go well it wasnt him but you know what I mean..

Edited by hogman

[u][b]Do any of you use those low F#s etc for more dance oriented music like hip-hop or even industrial rock (like NIN etc)?[/b][/u]

I will be doing all of the above....... when I got my first 6 string in 1990 everyone wanted a bit no idea why..... Live gigs suppose I looked flash.

you want me to do some low stuff for ya...

Edited by hogman

[quote name='Doc B' post='92300' date='Nov 21 2007, 07:16 PM']Do any of you use those low F#s etc for more dance oriented music like hip-hop or even industrial rock (like NIN etc)?[/quote]

I cant talk for Dood,Hes far far far more advanced upon the instrument than me

A D 'n' B guy in Surreys been hassleing a mate of mine for me to do something with him ever since he heard I was going to have such a low register instrument,as has a friend that is a one man Industrial project,and wants me to contribute something,but Ive got to get around the instrument really 1st...its coming.

I use to do loads of DnB now only bits. There is some bits on me webisite I think.

I played with a band very much like Bond did at bass day. I used an ev 21 thats a (21 inch speaker) and a studio preamp no idea what (Think it was called a basman?) but di ed into the pa. to get crazyness I used loads of old analogue gear electoharmincs stuff the old microsynth n the like. mid you i was only down to low A which is child play these days (Good country Key)

Quite enjoyed it really not much cash in it though.