Why become a member? ×

Petition for Digitech to re-issue Bass Whammy pedal

s_u_y_*

[url="http://www.petitiononline.com/dbw2008/petition.html"]http://www.petitiononline.com/dbw2008/petition.html[/url]

I'd thought that BassChat might want to represent this most important of bass related matters. Every 5 seconds, a bass player buys a normal Digitech Whammy. Do the right thing... make a difference today.

[quote]To Digitech,

We, the bass playing communities of Ultimate-Guitar and Talkbass, are requesting for the re-issue of the Digitech Bass Whammy effects pedal.

Due to the discontinuation of the Digitech Bass Whammy, it can only rarely be found on eBay for ridiculous prices - sometimes up to $700 bidding price! No one should have to pay such an exorbitant amount of money for the effects pedal.

Clearly, with such high prices on websites such as eBay, the Digitech Bass Whammy is quite a coveted item, and would generate a decent amount of revenue for your company.

Many bassists would benefit from the re-issue, as the current Digitech Whammy IV has a slight low-end cut, which is detrimental to the bass' tone. Also, the Bass Whammy has distinct effect features that are more suited for bass than those on the Whammy IV. The Digitech BP and BNX multi-effects stations do have Whammy settings, but we feel they do no justice to the original Bass Whammy.

All in all, we bassists would like to have a greater diversity of bass-specific pedals from your company, specifically the Digitech Bass Whammy pedal.

Thank you for taking this petition into consideration.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned[/quote]

Edited by s_u_y_*

No - Got a Whammy 4 too. There's no way that anyone went to see Doug Wimbish in Manchester early this year and not buy a Whammy the very next day! (and btw it's great!)

Never tried a Bass Whammy - Doug didn't like them ........ but even so, we must stand up for all things bass - bugger Digitech's commercial interests!

[quote name='tauzero' post='92593' date='Nov 22 2007, 10:54 AM']What does the Digitech Bass Whammy do that the whammy in the BP-200 doesn't?[/quote]

Well, the BP-200 whammy is only one component in a relatively cheap multi-effects modeller. I would imagine the tone produced would be inferior to the Bass Whammy.

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='92619' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:25 PM']Well, the BP-200 whammy is only one component in a relatively cheap multi-effects modeller. I would imagine the tone produced would be inferior to the Bass Whammy.[/quote]

cool i signed it..and spreading the word in the italian bassist forum.

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='92619' date='Nov 22 2007, 11:25 AM']Well, the BP-200 whammy is only one component in a relatively cheap multi-effects modeller. I would imagine the tone produced would be inferior to the Bass Whammy.[/quote]

Not wanting to start an argument [1] - that's one way of looking at it. Another way would be to say that the bass whammy is five years older than the BP-200, so possibly the electronics from the one-trick-pony pedal have been put into the multieffects. Five years is an awfully long time in electronics - how much would a 32" LCD telly cost five years ago, for example?

[1] No, really. If I wanted to start an argument, I'd go to alt.guitar.bass and ask why people still play those crappy old Fender things when there's so much better stuff out there, and then walk away whistling.

[quote name='tauzero' post='92793' date='Nov 22 2007, 03:20 PM']Not wanting to start an argument [1] - that's one way of looking at it. Another way would be to say that the bass whammy is five years older than the BP-200, so possibly the electronics from the one-trick-pony pedal have been put into the multieffects. Five years is an awfully long time in electronics - how much would a 32" LCD telly cost five years ago, for example?

[1] No, really. If I wanted to start an argument, I'd go to alt.guitar.bass and ask why people still play those crappy old Fender things when there's so much better stuff out there, and then walk away whistling.[/quote]

I personally look at it this way. The normal Digitech Whammy 4 costs £127.09 on Thomann, so let's just assume the Bass Whammy costs the same (although there more features on the Bass version). The Digitech BP-200 costs just £94.43. Admittely I haven't tried the BP-200, but I find it hard to believe that the whammy on it would be comparable.

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='92861' date='Nov 22 2007, 04:50 PM']I personally look at it this way. The normal Digitech Whammy 4 costs £127.09 on Thomann, so let's just assume the Bass Whammy costs the same (although there more features on the Bass version). The Digitech BP-200 costs just £94.43. Admittely I haven't tried the BP-200, but I find it hard to believe that the whammy on it would be comparable.[/quote]
Well, the reason I was asking was because I was genuinely inquisitive. It's quite easy to come up with two totally opposing opinions, each of which is as valid as the other, without actually knowing the facts. So yes, the Bass Whammy might be better and it costing more could be an indicator of this, but OTOH there's the Barnum world view - to make a nice little earner, you just take the guts out of a BP-200, bypass all the other effects, stick in a switch to control parameter selection and a MIDI input port to convert MIDI bend signals to pedal-wiggle signals and then flog it for a nice little mark-up. :)

While that may be a rather extreme way of describing it, I'd expect Digitech to use the same DSP over a wide range of products - that way they don't have to reinvent the wheel. It would be nice to actually compare the two products (not that I use the whammy to any significant degree anyway) and see if there was a perceptible difference.

[quote name='tauzero' post='93263' date='Nov 23 2007, 12:14 PM']Well, the reason I was asking was because I was genuinely inquisitive. It's quite easy to come up with two totally opposing opinions, each of which is as valid as the other, without actually knowing the facts.[/quote]

I perfectly agree :)

Edited by s_u_y_*