Why become a member? ×

Problem with my new UL212. Need advice

dave_bass5

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='19155' date='Jun 17 2007, 02:46 PM']I dont know how many cabs and amps epifani make a year but its surely in the tens of thousands.[/quote]

I believe you totally overestimate the size of the market! I doubt even Ampeg sells that much gear...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='19183' date='Jun 17 2007, 04:13 PM']I believe you totally overestimate the size of the market! I doubt even Ampeg sells that much gear...

Alex[/quote]

How many Epifani dealers are there in the UK? Is it just the Gallery?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='19122' date='Jun 17 2007, 12:53 PM']Going OT here i posted this over on TB but seeing as they are all still in bed ill post this here to see if anyone can help
Last night i had the worst sound ever at a gig. Using my MB SA450 and UL115.
--Snip------
Thanks for any advice.[/quote]

Dave were you set up in the same place on the stage as usual?
It may have been a wall proximity thing

I've also noticed that the density of the air can change the sound - cold nights with atmospheric high pressure sound different to hot sweaty humid low pressure nights.

Oh and I once went back to a venue and the whole place souned different as they'd moved the PA bass bins under the stage - caused all sorts of strange effects til we got used to it.

[quote name='OldGit' post='19191' date='Jun 17 2007, 04:37 PM']Dave were you set up in the same place on the stage as usual?
It may have been a wall proximity thing

I've also noticed that the density of the air can change the sound - cold nights with atmospheric high pressure sound different to hot sweaty humid low pressure nights.

Oh and I once went back to a venue and the whole place souned different as they'd moved the PA bass bins under the stage - caused all sorts of strange effects til we got used to it.[/quote]

Yes it was more or less the same place give or take a few feet. same distance from the wall though (about 6 ft from it)
No PA as we take ours.
Lots of variables but this was really sounding different.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='19205' date='Jun 17 2007, 05:17 PM']Yes it was more or less the same place give or take a few feet. same distance from the wall though (about 6 ft from it)[/quote]

This may be worth reading:

[url="http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/boundarycancellation.cfm"]http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/so...ancellation.cfm[/url]

There are two kind of acoustic coupling - one is the opposite of boundary cancellation and is where the sound bouncing back off the floor, walls or ceiling reinforces your sound. The other is where the floor itself starts vibrating in sympathy with your bass cab like a giant loudspeaker - this tends to be very uneven and uncontrolled in response. IMO you should try to maximise the former and minimise the latter.

Since I did some reading into this acoustics stuff I've never had a gig where I can't quickly get a good sound.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='19251' date='Jun 17 2007, 07:47 PM']This may be worth reading:

[url="http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/soundsystems/boundarycancellation.cfm"]http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/so...ancellation.cfm[/url]

There are two kind of acoustic coupling - one is the opposite of boundary cancellation and is where the sound bouncing back off the floor, walls or ceiling reinforces your sound. The other is where the floor itself starts vibrating in sympathy with your bass cab like a giant loudspeaker - this tends to be very uneven and uncontrolled in response. IMO you should try to maximise the former and minimise the latter.

Since I did some reading into this acoustics stuff I've never had a gig where I can't quickly get a good sound.

Alex[/quote]

Alex
Thanks for the link, ill have a read later but my point is this has not happened before at this venus with this set up.

I got you PM but im home now so ill email you in the morning when im back at work

[quote name='alexclaber' post='19183' date='Jun 17 2007, 04:13 PM']I believe you totally overestimate the size of the market! I doubt even Ampeg sells that much gear...

Alex[/quote]

Yeah - probably - but dont under-estimate the size of the US market. The point remains though that if you are gonna sell a lot of gear direct you need lots of people for the admin and the cost has to be added to the price. The other problem with direct sellers is you cant try it first, unlike your unfriendly rip-off retailer or value adder depending on point of view.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='19257' date='Jun 17 2007, 08:03 PM']Alex
Thanks for the link, ill have a read later but my point is this has not happened before at this [b]venus[/b] with this set up.

I got you PM but im home now so ill email you in the morning when im back at work[/quote]

blimey Dave! Your band is stellar! - I don't envy the drive home!!

.. I know what ya mean, just playin!

[quote name='dood' post='19406' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:10 AM']blimey Dave! Your band is stellar! - I don't envy the drive home!!
.. I know what ya mean, just playin![/quote]

Yeah, it was a long drive home. worth it though as the audience was all female :)

Guys
just a more or less final update.
I now have a working UL212 series 1 cab, that i helped build;-).
Its a bit heavier than when it arrived but thats ok as i was a bit worried about the cab moving around on stage, one of the reasons i went for a bigger cab.
To my ears it sounds a bit clearer, the low mids are a bit less now and so i can hear the notes better. low end is still there but this is with just playng it at work with my Jazz, master on 1 on my LMII. It reminds me of my 1210 in a way but i put that down to being used to my UL115. Really looking forward to using it on 30th but also a bit nervous as well. I think it will take a few gigs to trust it and relax. we have three holiday camp gigs in early July, no PA support so these will be the biggest venues we are playing this year without PA support.

The only thing i need to do now is to solder the wires on the first driver as at the moment i have one set going through the spring loaded clips and then the connecting wire's wrapped around them. Ill just put a load of solder on them and hopefully do the cab up for the last time.

Thanks for all the support over the last couple of weeks

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='20595' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:23 AM']We have three holiday camp gigs in early July, no PA support so these will be the biggest venues we are playing this year without PA support.[/quote]

Hi Dave
Glad the cab story has a happy ending ....
Meanwhile have you tried putting a tiddly bit of bass into the vocal PA for this sport of gig (I assume you have vocals :))
I do that with my band and the smallest amount of bass in the PA seems to throw it a lot furher down the hall and means the backline sound can be less loud ..
Just a thought
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='20601' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:41 AM']Hi Dave
Glad the cab story has a happy ending ....
Meanwhile have you tried putting a tiddly bit of bass into the vocal PA for this sport of gig (I assume you have vocals :))
I do that with my band and the smallest amount of bass in the PA seems to throw it a lot furher down the hall and means the backline sound can be less loud ..
Just a thought
OG[/quote]

Cheers.
Actually we might start doing what you suggest.
with my other band i always go in to their PA. Its only a small one but they have a sub bass speaker as well and your right, just a small amount helps.
with my main band its difficult getting them to do anything but at the last gig we all put a bit of our instruments in to the PA and it does help project but at this gig we didnt get to sound check so it was a bit over the top.
We are hoping to continue to do this but by no PA support i meant large PA.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='20595' date='Jun 20 2007, 09:23 AM']The only thing i need to do now is to solder the wires on the first driver as at the moment i have one set going through the spring loaded clips and then the connecting wire's wrapped around them. Ill just put a load of solder on them and hopefully do the cab up for the last time.[/quote]

I've no idea of your level of soldering skills Dave and I don't want to be patronising but after all you've been through make sure the soldering is done properly! No real need for [b]a load of solder[/b] more solder won't make the connection any better, enough solder (with the appropriate power solder gun) to do the job is all you need.

Best of luck, you deserve it!

:)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='20689' date='Jun 20 2007, 12:04 PM']I've no idea of your level of soldering skills Dave and I don't want to be patronising but after all you've been through make sure the soldering is done properly! No real need for [b]a load of solder[/b] more solder won't make the connection any better, enough solder (with the appropriate power solder gun) to do the job is all you need.

Best of luck, you deserve it!

:)[/quote]

Cheers
my level of skill is not great but i figure as long as the join is firm its enough. Im tempted to put some on the wire sticking out of the other side of the spring clip but ill see how it goes. The connection between the wires is good already but its better to make sure nothing falls out during a gig.
I borrowed a 25watt soldering iron, that should be enough shouldn't it?

Edited by dave_bass5

I KNOW I don't need to say this, but for my own piece of mind here goes..............

Make sure when you are soldering, that all speakers are protected incase the tiniest bit of hot solder falls off the joint ( espicially if you are soldering the top of the two speakers ) I KNOW you'll do this but I'd be gutted for you if you accidentally damaged a speaker at this stage.

Sorry,
S

[quote name='bassbluestew' post='20731' date='Jun 20 2007, 01:17 PM']I KNOW I don't need to say this, but for my own piece of mind here goes..............

Make sure when you are soldering, that all speakers are protected incase the tiniest bit of hot solder falls off the joint ( espicially if you are soldering the top of the two speakers ) I KNOW you'll do this but I'd be gutted for you if you accidentally damaged a speaker at this stage.

Sorry,
S[/quote]

Thanks for pointing that out.
Now im even more nervous.
I think what ill do is to take the wires out of the spring connectors and solder away from the cones. Then i just have to push the two leads back in to the first driver

been reading this dave and your patience is amazing, glad it's nearly there.
i'll certainly stay well clear of cabs in that price range as to be honest i could get someone to build me a BFM cab for alot less (oh yeah and i can't afford em :) )

anyway in regards to soldering i would recommend no less than a 50watt iron, and use plenty of flux this way you should get a nice shiny join which is what you want. also lay a nice thick towel (an old one mind) doubled over (or a bit of old carpet) to stop any rogue solder.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='20615' date='Jun 20 2007, 10:06 AM']Cheers.
Actually we might start doing what you suggest.
with my other band i always go in to their PA. Its only a small one but they have a sub bass speaker as well and your right, just a small amount helps.
with my main band its difficult getting them to do anything but at the last gig we all put a bit of our instruments in to the PA and it does help project but at this gig we didnt get to sound check so it was a bit over the top.
We are hoping to continue to do this but by no PA support i meant large PA.[/quote]

Okie kokie
OG

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='20753' date='Jun 20 2007, 01:45 PM']been reading this dave and your patience is amazing, glad it's nearly there.
i'll certainly stay well clear of cabs in that price range as to be honest i could get someone to build me a BFM cab for alot less (oh yeah and i can't afford em :) )

anyway in regards to soldering i would recommend no less than a 50watt iron, and use plenty of flux this way you should get a nice shiny join which is what you want. also lay a nice thick towel (an old one mind) doubled over (or a bit of old carpet) to stop any rogue solder.[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. im not sure about the 50watt iron though. i cant really justify getting one just for this job. There must be another way. All i need is to attach two wires together, one hanging off the other. Im going to take out both drivers and put them somewhere safe while i do this. I then just need to re attach them once the soldering is done (i hope). I might just try and bend the ends sticking out of the spring clips. they seem solid enough already but i dont want anything to happen at a gig.

I would say that after this i really cant see me getting another costly cab again (not that i should need to).

EDIT: This is how i intend to connect them. Really sorry about the terrible shot. I didnt check the camera phone after i took it. Im ashamed
[attachment=829:DSC00390.JPG]

Edited by dave_bass5

Until you can get someone to do it properly for you why not use some electrical terminal strip. The type with screw terminals. Do them up nice and tight.

I was at a meeting near to your work place yesterday. No doubt I will be back again within the next month. If you can hang on til then I'll bring my iron with me and do it for you.

ah i see what you want to do, i feel a fool (and she feels nice :huh: )
the 25watt one you have would be fine for that as you are only joining the 2 wires together to go in the connection, just make sure the solder you have has got a flux core and that should be all you need to do as the solder should just flow into the wire. i thought you wanted to solder the wire to the connectors in which case the 50 would have been better, i'm just waffling now so i'll ssshhh!. :)

edit just to say sorry if i'm telling you to suck eggs.

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='20897' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:26 PM']ah i see what you want to do, i feel a fool (and she feels nice :huh: )
the 25watt one you have would be fine for that as you are only joining the 2 wires together to go in the connection, just make sure the solder you have has got a flux core and that should be all you need to do as the solder should just flow into the wire. i thought you wanted to solder the wire to the connectors in which case the 50 would have been better, i'm just waffling now so i'll ssshhh!. :)

edit just to say sorry if i'm telling you to suck eggs.[/quote]

Thanks
I need all the advice i can get so dont apologise.
I was going to put a bit of solder on the ends of the wires to stop them slipping through the spring connectors but i think they will be ok for now.

[quote name='obbm' post='20893' date='Jun 20 2007, 05:25 PM']Until you can get someone to do it properly for you why not use some electrical terminal strip. The type with screw terminals. Do them up nice and tight.

I was at a meeting near to your work place yesterday. No doubt I will be back again within the next month. If you can hang on til then I'll bring my iron with me and do it for you.[/quote]

Dave
Thanks, thats a very kind offer but i have to start using the cab on the 30th and it wont be coming back here unless i have a problem with it.
Im not sure about the terminal strip as basically im taking a spur off the main cable to the other driver.