Why become a member? ×

Peavey T-40 Basses

FlatEric

Further to Magnolia T40.... Weighs about 9.5 lbs, so is pretty heavy, also cos no scratchplate, is not routed at front. Probably weighs same as standard T 40. just had emails from Hartley and Chip giving some of the history; I was very very lucky to acquire it!
Steve

One of the things I enjoy the most about my T40 is the dynamic response it has. The amount by which sound and attack change depending on where you pick/pluck and how hard you do it is exceptional. The amount of smoothness and growl available on the same settings is the best of all the basses I have ever played.

The nasal growl of the double humbucker fully closed, played really hard close to the neck is like a roaring tiger at the bottom of a large cave :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1409134155' post='2536597']
One of the things I enjoy the most about my T40 is the dynamic response it has. The amount by which sound and attack change depending on where you pick/pluck and how hard you do it is exceptional. The amount of smoothness and growl available on the same settings is the best of all the basses I have ever played.

The nasal growl of the double humbucker fully closed, played really hard close to the neck is like a roaring tiger at the bottom of a large cave :)
[/quote]

I notice this too. I can go from mellow reggae tones to aggressive tones without touching any settings, just a change of position and sometimes a pick.

• 1 month later...

I can't believe how hot the pickups are for such an "old" instrument! I don't know if it's because I've got the blade style ones or not but I can't wait to whack it up to gig volume.

One other thing that really made me squeal with excitement was playing it unplugged. Even playing up the dusty end of the neck on the D and G strings you can REALLY feel the notes resonate through the wood. My entire body could feel every note really clearly. Amazing!

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1419636445' post='2641573']
Chris...
[/quote]

My missus found me an amazing example of one from the states and I was finally allowed to get my hands on it yesterday :) it's bloody wonderful! I told her I'd be scared of wrecking it, but she insists that I give it the use it deserves as it would be a waste otherwise :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1419637266' post='2641579']

My missus found me an amazing example of one from the states and I was finally allowed to get my hands on it yesterday :) it's bloody wonderful! I told her I'd be scared of wrecking it, but she insists that I give it the use it deserves as it would be a waste otherwise :lol:

[/quote]

Wow! The lesser spotted rosewood board too. Well done that man :) also if you manage to wreck a 40 nothing else stands half a chance :P.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1419637266' post='2641579']

[/quote]

Welcome to the fold, Oh fellow Forty owner!! :D :D :D

Very nice. :gas:

As I said before, last of the line - Bat switches and Nylon nut.

The one on the right is just before yours - still has the die cast nut.

Chip Todd said it was odd they change to a Nylon nut - the die cast item came out of
a family tool, making several other parts.
So, everytime the tool was operated, it made a nut anyway.
They toook it out and threw it it back into the melting pot???? :blink:

I chose these two for the magazine feature, as the one on the left is the most mellow,
warm and old school I have - the other one is the most loud and angry!!!! B)

Anything you want to know, drop me a line.
If you want to learn more about the Forty's, go to my blog - lots of info there.

Cheers. :)

• 7 months later...

Fame, at last. . . . . . well just a little tiny bit!! :D

Way back in January, a guy call Willie Mosely - (writes for Vintage Guitar) - contacted me,
as he had seen how much Peavey content there was in my blog.
He had read the T-60/T-40 articles and found them interesting and informative, especially
the part about the cases.

He was in the process of writing a book on Peavey Guitars and their history.

Various emails went back and forth over the next few months and in time,
he said "thank you, I'll be in touch".

Not heard anything for ages and then I had an email confirming that the book had been
published and was on sale.

I have been credited with some images! Top Job! :P

"Turns to camera". . . . "Nice!" :lol:

The book has been duly ordered and it's on it's way.

I will have a read and report back.

Book arrived! B)

Amazon - Speedy!

Yep, I'm in there! :D

I have had a quick flick through and it looks very interesting.
This may be a cover to cover read - loads of pics.

These are mine.

I'm sure anyone remotely interested in Peavey or in a story of how the new kids in town,
made a go of it, would really enjoy this.

With regard to lusting after a Forty. . . . . I will be starting to break down my large collection of
T-40's, sometime next year and just keep four or five. :gas: :gas: :gas:

I was going to start this year but just didn't get around to it.
If you are genuinely interested and are OK with a long wait, drop me a line and I'll put your name down as
a possible - there are a couple already but there are plenty to go around! :lol:

Anyone who gets the book - stick up a reply, I would like to know what you think.