Why become a member? ×

Peavey T-40 Basses

FlatEric

[quote name='razze06' post='899806' date='Jul 20 2010, 10:56 AM']Fellow T-40 players, what roundwound strings would you reccommend? I have had rotosounds on for a while, but i'm not too impressed. Anything else I should try?[/quote]

I've got Stadium Elites 40-100 on two, they're not bad - I have Picato 735 LHY on one Toaster
and two blades, around £8.00 a set, cracking job.
I've got some La Bella, Hard Rockin' Steel on my RD, sound very good - I am going to try them
on a T-40 - they may be worth a go.
For my money (oops, it's not. . . . it's yours! :rolleyes: ) I would try the Picato - I've got them on several
other basses - all sound good.

[url="http://www.stringmail.co.uk/bass.htm"]Picato strings @ £7.95!!![/url]

Cheers. :)

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='908055' date='Jul 28 2010, 12:05 PM']What's the going rate for a Peavey T-40 over here in the UK?

I've found one on the internet and may purchase it after I get rid of my bike if it's in good nick[/quote]

Hi.

Anything from around £250 up to just over £400.

Cheaper ones may have switch or wiring issues or other minor problems.

The last few I have seen for sale have been around £350.

Lot of bass for not much money. :)

£400 + would get you something like the ones below - I have just posted this in "Twins"
These are not for sale! :lol:

Cheers. :rolleyes:

£549 is a ripoff. I got my '79 in fairly good nick for £230 from here a year or so ago. They do generall go for higher but no much more than £280 on eBay. There was once a white one on my watch list with a 99p start price and no reserve, nobody bid on it and I forgot to!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='908520' date='Jul 28 2010, 06:29 PM']There was once a white one on my watch list with a 99p start price and no reserve, nobody bid on it and I forgot to![/quote]

Missed eBay nausea...

Anybody sees one they don't want let me know! I've been looking for 6 months...

[quote name='cocco' post='909031' date='Jul 29 2010, 11:26 AM']mines on Rotos too. I love them on my fenders but they just dont work on the T-40. I might try those picatos too[/quote]

They are, in my opinion, the best for a T-40.
Took my Sunburst to rehearsal last night, changed to Picato's at the weekend
and this is the honest truth. . . . .
Our guitarist, who has got a VERY good ear for sound, walked in, paused and said
"what have you done to that"??
I played it last week with Stadium Elites on it, which a bit like your Roto's, work fine
on some basses but the fact remains, he could tell the difference.
Brighter, without being "Clangy" and a full balanced sound over all the strings.

Go on, get some!!
I put a link in a previous post somewhere.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='846836' date='May 24 2010, 08:37 PM']Not in the mainstream, no. You can also see one in action (rosewood fretboard) with Big Black [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKsw6xaw9n0"]here...[/url][/quote]

Doesn't get much better than this........

Can't think where but must check if they recorded with the T40 - 'Atomizer' and 'Songs...' for example sound so different, could be all sorts of gear changes happening, or just Albini changing things up.

[quote name='nollaig' post='909226' date='Jul 29 2010, 01:44 PM']Doesn't get much better than this........

Can't think where but must check if they recorded with the T40 - 'Atomizer' and 'Songs...' for example sound so different, could be all sorts of gear changes happening, or just Albini changing things up.[/quote]

and I quote "Dave Riley used it in Big Black on both "Atomizer" and "Songs About f***ing," and Lorna Doom used it with the Germs."

I love the Germs and I didn't know this. I must pay atten tion.

Here's the thread on the Electrical forum (aka Albini stroking soapbox but with some good information)

[url="http://www.electrical.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19379&start=0&sid=c6b0d8a449ba1e04563a98f537cef87c"]http://www.electrical.com/phpBB/viewtopic....63a98f537cef87c[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Calling all T40 experts!

My T40 has a fairly major electrical issue. I got two new (correct) switches, and tried to wire them in myself, and failed awfully, so took it to my band's guitarist who has some soldering skills! he soldered them in but it was just not right. Turns out the wiring had already been redone from original, so the decision was made to replace it all with new wiring (the existing wiring was in a right state). So, the guitarist got a copy of wiring diagram from the internet (i think it's the only one available on the net), and wired it from scratch.

However! Now, the bridge pickup is the only one that works, and only when the pickup selector is in the bottom position, the phase switch does nothing and neither does the tone pots and the whole thing buzzes horribly until the pickguard is installed into the bass.

Guitarist has looked at it and loked at it again, tried to insulate the wiring from the shielding and everything, but to no avail. So, what can I do? i have next to no wiring skills so i guess i need to send it to someone, but have no idea.

Please help! I miss my awesome T40 sound!!!

Bad News! :)

If your guy has followed everything that he can see - I have a wiring diagram
which is somewhere on this PC - still trying to find it!!
That may help him.

I do have the back off one of my Blade T-40's - giving the bass a full service,
pot clean etc.
I could take some good clear shots of that, if you think it would help.

Let me know.

A T-40 lover without his T-40 is a sad thing! :rolleyes:

Cheers. :lol:

[quote name='FlatEric' post='919249' date='Aug 9 2010, 07:52 AM']Bad News! :)

If your guy has followed everything that he can see - I have a wiring diagram
which is somewhere on this PC - still trying to find it!!
That may help him.

I do have the back off one of my Blade T-40's - giving the bass a full service,
pot clean etc.
I could take some good clear shots of that, if you think it would help.

Let me know.

A T-40 lover without his T-40 is a sad thing! :rolleyes:

Cheers. :lol:[/quote]

If only my T40 had a back cover! In order to do any wiring I have to take the strings off and the scratchplate off as well as the pickups. My pickup surrounds, as Brian Blessed would say, are TOAST!

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='919264' date='Aug 9 2010, 08:29 AM']If only my T40 had a back cover! In order to do any wiring I have to take the strings off and the scratchplate off as well as the pickups. My pickup surrounds, as Brian Blessed would say, are TOAST![/quote]

Oooops, Sorry - What I meant to say was. . . . . front/top/scratchplate, there is no access from the back! :rolleyes:

If you want a pic, let me know.

• 5 weeks later...

I've just got back some old CDs of mine from a friend, and noticed that the bassist from the Wipers can be seen playing a T40 in the picture on the actual CD! I'll take a pic and put it up as soon as I can.
He can also be seen brief on [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ykQhxMssg"]this video[/url], around 2.20/2.30 minutes in, and again at 3.40 or so, more clearly now.

I love the band BTW, well worth checking out if you like this kind of punk

Edited by razze06

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='razze06' post='950498' date='Sep 9 2010, 12:32 PM']I've just got back some old CDs of mine from a friend, and noticed that the bassist from the Wipers can be seen playing a T40 in the picture on the actual CD! I'll take a pic and put it up as soon as I can.
He can also be seen brief on [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ykQhxMssg"]this video[/url], around 2.20/2.30 minutes in, and again at 3.40 or so, more clearly now.

I love the band BTW, well worth checking out if you like this kind of punk[/quote]

Sweet

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='978707' date='Oct 5 2010, 07:48 PM']There's a very nice sunbust lined fretless T-40 for sale [url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses/t40fretless.htm"]here...[/url]

Has Eric got one of these...?[/quote]

Yep, bit battered, nothing like the one for sale and to my shame. . . . . . .
I have recently robbed the front pup and the pup select switch from it, to help
a fellow owner out.
I hope to put it all right at a later date.

Nice to see you are still enjoying your "T", Jerry - keep on rockin'! :)

Well, it's not all a bed of roses - mine needs a refret. At least, a partial one. The first 4 frets are pretty ground down and buzz a tad too much. On a bass with less grunt to their pickups it probably would be a problem, of course :) The only thing is, I'm guessing a refret would affect it's value? Or is a refret better than clapped out frets in the long run?

Mind you, apart from that the T-40 is still the perfect bass for me :lol:

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='978843' date='Oct 5 2010, 09:22 PM']Well, it's not all a bed of roses - mine needs a refret. At least, a partial one. The first 4 frets are pretty ground down and buzz a tad too much. On a bass with less grunt to their pickups it probably would be a problem, of course :) The only thing is, I'm guessing a refret would affect it's value? Or is a refret better than clapped out frets in the long run?

Mind you, apart from that the T-40 is still the perfect bass for me :)[/quote]

Jerry, Hi.

I have a "Road Warrior" T-45, with the first 7 frets almost down to the board - it still played, sort of, before I took the neck off.
When I get a few hours spare . . . . . :) I shall refret the first 7.

I did the first 5 on my EBO, years ago and you can't tell it's been done.

Find a good luthier down your way - recommendation is the best way to choose - anyone know of somone in the South East?
Selcting the correct wire is very important - get him to do the first 5.
IMHO it will hardly put a scratch on the value, if it is done correctly.

Jon, Hi.

The earlier Toaster models like yours are not quite as bright or as powerful as the blade pups.
In almost all occasions, I gig with two of the same era - amp adjustments to suit.
Yours will definately be warmer and more mellow than a later blade.
They are String Sensitive - brighter strings will bring out a lot more varied tones.
What is your ideal/favourite sound?

Mine, a 1980 vintage with toaster pickups strung with rotosound steel swing, gets played almost exclusively with both pickups in full humbucking mode, both fingers and pick, and the sound gets changed mainly by flicking the switches. I have a very heavy touch, and it sounds very aggressive and a little dirty, a bit like an old fashioned V6 engine, especially when played through the peavey head and the marshall and ashdown cabs.

When played through the more refined tecamp small rig it sounds a lot more polite, more like a sporty saloon than a out and out sports car. That is my usual gigging setup.

I'm interested in what you are saying about the strings. I find that sometimes I am a little too aggressive and dark, any strings you would recommend (roundwounds)? I've got an unopened pack of EB slinkies in the house, I was thinking of putting them on.