Why become a member? ×

quiet e string

jimmybass04

hi there, i have a harley benton accoustic, which i got via thomman,and for the price it s amazing.
the problem i v got is the e string , its much quieter than the others, which i think may be due to some pickup prob, but i cant get at anything, and there s no string adgustment etc. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix the prob.
cheers, jimmy.

[quote name='jimmybass04' post='92519' date='Nov 22 2007, 07:49 AM']hi there, i have a harley benton accoustic, which i got via thomman,and for the price it s amazing.
the problem i v got is the e string , its much quieter than the others, which i think may be due to some pickup prob, but i cant get at anything, and there s no string adgustment etc. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix the prob.
cheers, jimmy.[/quote]

Don't know much about how to deal with acoustic pickups. It sounds like you acquired it recently and if so then it's under warranty - so I'd give Thomann a shout and explain your problems to them rather than trying to do anything with it yourself. I think they're pretty good at dealing with problems.

If it uses a piezo pickup, the fault could be a slighty uneven bridge saddle - that is, if the base of the saddle doesn't make proper contact with the piezo element, then you get the effect of a quieter string. It would be quite easy for your local shop or a repairman to fix this. Just needs to be flat and smooth.
To be fair, its a common problem in cheaper-end instruments.
Mind, have seen it in a few high-end insruments, too :)

I'd be inclined to try a decent set of strings on first, I've had sets of strings from quality manufacturers with one or more duff strings, so the odds of a budget instrument having a dodgy string is bound to be higher. It might solve your problem but if it doesn't, you're always gonna need strings!

I had a similar problem on an Aria acoustic bass. The stock piezo transducer, which was really cheap and nasty, wasn't actually long enough to cover the entire length of the bridge piece and ensure sufficient coverage for all of the strings.

I bought a replacement from ebay; it may even have been from this [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FISHMAN-Sonicore-Acoustic-Guitar-Under-Saddle-Pickup_W0QQitemZ180181706806QQihZ008QQcategoryZ22670QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]seller[/url]

£10 and a cinch to fit. It will make a difference. Unfortunately, you'll then probably turn your attention to the preamp.

Edited by bassbloke