Why become a member? ×

4x10 + 1x15 vs 8x10

Ou7shined

As you may know I'm looking for a s/h cab to get extra juice from my 500evo 410 combo. Ashdown (and others) have recommended me a ABM 115. I don't want a mini, I'd like to have a matched stack. Been searching for a couple of weeks now but a full sized one isn't forthcoming. However 410's are popping up all over the shop. Would I be shooting myself in the foot by going 8x10. Obviously I'd get more power from the amp (the extra weight is a consideration too) but would I noticeably lose out on a wider frequency range by not getting a 115?

Edited by Ou7shined

4x10 and the 1x15 all the way:
- it will be more portable
- you will have better (more even) frequency response
- it will be much easier and cheaper to source a rig second hand

Also I think I'm right in saying that becuse you would be using two of the amps outputs rather than just one you should get more juice from your amp, I don't know that it would be significantly louder per se (your using three less cones after all)

IMO the 8x10 looks a little tacky unless you're playing huge venues, but then you wanna attach it to a 2x15...

EDIT: Just re-read your post, you're already using a 4x10 combo. I'm a little confused as to wheter you want an additional 4x10 or an additional 8x10 (12 tens does seem excessive). Still I'd go for the 1x15 anyway, get those low notes pumping, you;ve got the midrange covered :)

Edited by gilmour

MB1. :)

An 8X10 is a very spinal thing i find!.....you either want one or you dont!
portability,physical agility( and your own van? )should be a decisive factor,when even whispering the Roadies misfortune that is the 8x10!
A ...4x10 and a 1x15 ....if you have to!

Edited by MB1

Thanks guys. I knew I needed talking out of it. :huh:

Gilmour : To clarify - when I was saying 8x10 I meant my 4x10 combo on top of a 4x10 cab.
Machines : Thanks for the linkage but 300 squids is too much hence the s/h'ness of my requirements. :huh:
MB1 : I can do spinal Tap. I spend half the time with one foot on a monitor pulling sex faces. :)
David : That's exactly the idea. Although my cabs would be arse about. Your pic is sweet.

May seem like something of little consequence, but if you choose a 1x15 to go with your 4x10, see if you can find out if the sensitivities of the cabs are similar.

I used to own a 4x10 and a 1x15, but the 4x10 was such a louder cab in comparison that adding the 1x15 was completely pointless. The 4x10 sounded deeper, louder, clearer and more punchy. However, adding a 4x10 exactly the same turned the rig into an absolute monster!

I sold the 1x15 very quickly.

I'd therefore vote for a matching 4x10. Ultimately, I reckon it'll sound better than the addition of a 1x15. fours10's move more air than 1x15 ;o)

[quote name='David Nimrod' date='Nov 22 2007, 03:21 PM' post='92794']
You can see what I use ;-)

The 1 x 15" combo was livened up no end by the addition of a 4 x 10"

You *will* get the full 575w out of the combo, it *will* be louder too!

So the the combination of 15" and 10" drivers covers all the bases ;-)

I personally prefer my 15 on the floor and my 10s on top (just noticed your avatar pic).
Is that the 575 Evo 2 1x15 combo?.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='92880' date='Nov 22 2007, 05:14 PM'][b]Darn it! It sold on the Bay. [/b]:huh:

MB1 : That's something I've wondered about. Is there a scientific reason to have the 1x15 on the floor?

Obviously if Mr. Nimrod does that he'd have his amp in the middle which would look kinda odd.[/quote]

Scientifically proven to be the best way to achieve the 'trouser flapping effect' :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' date='Nov 22 2007, 05:32 PM' post='92891']
I can achieve that with my grannies turnip broth. :huh:

Ive heard about your grannies turnip broth and im in Manchester!...........
a fine trouser flapper but nothing whatsoever to do with bass guitars or amplification! :huh:

[quote name='Ou7shined' date='Nov 22 2007, 05:14 PM' post='92880']
[b]Darn it! It sold on the Bay. [/b]:huh:

MB1 : That's something I've wondered about. Is there a scientific reason to have the 1x15 on the floor?

Obviously if Mr. Nimrod does that he'd have his amp in the middle which would look kinda odd.

He'd have to take the wheels off the 4x10 but he could start a totally new trend?.......They have mid engined cars!
David....I have the 2x10H version of your combo.....Great combo.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='92968' date='Nov 22 2007, 08:02 PM']I would say go with another 4x10. Mixing different sized cabs causes something called comb filtering. Do not assume that a 1x15 will go lower than a 4x10.[/quote]

+1