Why become a member? ×

Strange wiring in bass

BigRedX

I recently bought a Kramer 450B which is extremely good condition for a 30 year old bass. However the volume and tone controls were very crackly and the jack socket intermitent, so I opened up the control cavity and found this:

Not exactly original equipment!

The circuit appears to be the same for each pickup/volume/tone control set:

The bit I've labelled output goes to the pickup selector switch and then to the output jack.

Any idea what the pickup coils in the control cavity are supposed to do?

I don't have any values for the pots as they're hidden under all the solder...

At the moment as well as being very noisy when turned the controls only do something between 7 and 10.

Edited by BigRedX

To cancel out the noise they have to work as pickups which IIRC means they need magnets. I checked and the 'pole pieces' are not magnetic at all. They look like the coils from a Dimarzio humbucker (they've got the allen key slots). I think they're supposed to work as either bass filters or bypass...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='93108' date='Nov 23 2007, 12:28 AM']To cancel out the noise they have to work as pickups which IIRC means they need magnets. I checked and the 'pole pieces' are not magnetic at all. They look like the coils from a Dimarzio humbucker (they've got the allen key slots). I think they're supposed to work as either bass filters or bypass...[/quote]

I'm not sure they do need to be magnets, hum is induced by a fluctuating magnetic field, whereas string sound is from the metal string moving in the magnetic field. You can pick up hum in leads and stuff if they aren't shielded, so magnets aren't needed.

Looks like a version of the Alembic system - using a "dummy" pickup as a noise canceller? Can't imagine that was ever standard on a Kramer?

I've never owned a Series I or II Alembic, but I recall they have trim pots (active gain adjustment) to fine tune the effect of the noise canceller in relation to the main pickup outputs. My guess is that to work well they should ideally be physically close to the real pickups so they "hear" the same noise?

Worth some investigating...

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='93205' date='Nov 23 2007, 10:10 AM']Looks like a version of the Alembic system - using a "dummy" pickup as a noise canceller? Can't imagine that was ever standard on a Kramer?[/quote]
That's what I was thinking of - it's just that the placement is weird. Alembic at least put them in front, in the same plane as the strings. It's the middle "pickup" in this picture:

mmmm... Alembic... (drool)

Edited by bnt