Why become a member? ×

Bass cab constant buzzing?

Bananaman

I've read the buzzing sticky but didn't really cover this:

I've just got a second hand ampeg 4x10 (500 watts) to go with my ampeg V4BH (100 watts all tube) head. When connecting the two I'm getting a constant buzzing sound from it, even with my bass about 10 meters away- the sound is constant irrespective of distance to it. I've tried connecting the bass to the head with different cables and this makes no differencen so i've ruled that out.
In fact the buzzing still happens without the bass plugged in if turn the volume right up. And with the bass plugged in, it is a consistent noise regardless of whether i touch the bass or metal (had this earthing kind of problem with different amps in the past and it doesn't seem like that)

I've never had problems with the head and i used it only a few days ago with another cab at a gig. I've got the amp set to 8 OHM to match the cab spec. I'm not using any effects. Have tried a couple of different sockets for power but still having the same problem.

One thing that may be causing it is that i'm using the speakon input rather than jack for the first time ever with this amp head. The speakon lead is brand new too. i've no other speaker leads (jack or speakon) to try it with right now so can't check if its the lead or something with the spekon input.

I'm really not very technical but is it possible there's dust in either the cab or amp speakon input, or that the cable is faulty?

Any ideas anyone?
:)

Probably just the new cab letting you hear noise more clearly - patently if there is a fault, it must be with the head or the environment...

Have you tried moving the rig to another room/socket?

Turn off any fluorescent lights (or worse, dimmers)
Check the fridge too :)

[quote name='Stewart' post='93814' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:17 PM']Probably just the new cab letting you hear noise more clearly - patently if there is a fault, it must be with the head or the environment...

Have you tried moving the rig to another room/socket?

Turn off any fluorescent lights (or worse, dimmers)
Check the fridge too :huh:[/quote]

Cheers for the tips Stewart- I've just tried the rig in a couple of different rooms, turning off the fridge, all lights, but still seems to happen. It does seem to be slightly less buzzy when i'm not touching the fret board, but it still doesn't stop completely when i am. there's also a crackly sound when moving up and down the fret board. the buzzing can still be heard when i'm playing at low volumes.

i'd used my old cabs with the head in the same places in my flat but didn't get problems, so i'm thinking its more to do with something that's gone wrong with the head, the speaker cable or cab. :)

[quote name='obbm' post='93868' date='Nov 24 2007, 06:17 PM']Would it help if I sent you a Speakon to Jack so you can try all the different combinations?

- Amp jack output to new cab Speakon

- Amp Speakon output to old cab jack[/quote]

that would be really useful, thanks Obbm :-) to save you the trouble i may be able to borrow a jack to jack speaker lead from a friend and then at least i can establish whether the amp works with the cab with jack to jack. if it did then it'd obviously be some issue with the speakon input or cable.

[quote name='MB1' post='93907' date='Nov 24 2007, 07:41 PM']is the earthing on the bass ok, as you mention the buzzin ceases when you touch the strings.[/quote]

i had earthing problems with my old bass so know what that's like and am certain its nothing to do with the bass. it happens even without the bass plugged in if i turn the amp up loud, or if i just touch the other end of the instrument cable without the bass plugged in.

it's a pretty consistent buzz, doesn't really change a great deal while playing, moving further from amp etc. It obviously amplifies a bit more when i turn the volume up.

I had this trouble with one of my speakers, is the rear of the cab open (can u c the back of the speakers) cus if somethings been knocked, theres a wire connecting the speakon terminals to the speaker itself, the wire connected to the speaker with most likely have bare ends. the cables can fray (like hi-fi cables) and touch. This causes short circiting. Now if that was a load of crap and didnt mean anything to u. sorry :) but hopefuly it did lol

[quote name='[email protected]' post='93923' date='Nov 24 2007, 08:22 PM']I had this trouble with one of my speakers, is the rear of the cab open (can u c the back of the speakers) cus if somethings been knocked, theres a wire connecting the speakon terminals to the speaker itself, the wire connected to the speaker with most likely have bare ends. the cables can fray (like hi-fi cables) and touch. This causes short circiting. Now if that was a load of crap and didnt mean anything to u. sorry :) but hopefuly it did lol[/quote]

the cab is an ampeg 4x10 (svt 410he) so the back isn't open, but could still be that problem could it?

Buzz or rattle? It can sometimes be difficult of differentiate the two, but buzz indicates electrical fault - could be preamp tube(s), transistors, output transformer or an earthing problem on your bass.

This is one of those occasions where thwe easiest way to work out which bit is at fault is to meet up with a mate and swap over kit. Whereabouts are you.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='94043' date='Nov 25 2007, 09:27 AM']Buzz or rattle? It can sometimes be difficult of differentiate the two, but buzz indicates electrical fault - could be preamp tube(s), transistors, output transformer or an earthing problem on your bass.

This is one of those occasions where thwe easiest way to work out which bit is at fault is to meet up with a mate and swap over kit. Whereabouts are you.[/quote]

i'm pretty sure its not an earthing issue with the bass as it does it regardless of playing or having the bass plugged in. that's also why i think its buzz.

i guess it is possible it's an electrical issue with the head, not had any problems with it thus far but then i got it second hand head so not sure how much action its seen.

yes, you're right, the easiest way is to try all different possibilities and work out what's wrong- i'm in leamington spa, west midlands.