Why become a member? ×

fleas bass in 1984-1988

pimpmyjam@hotmail.com

[quote name='kevbass' post='93920' date='Nov 24 2007, 08:15 PM']Its always been a stingray as far as I know, until blood sugar sex magic when it was a wal on some tracks, then he moved to a modulus before moving to a vintage jazz and now he's back on the modulus, so Im pretty sure its a stingray[/quote]
Thanks, thts wot every1 else says nd u jst confirmed it :) cheers

I always thought it was mostly a Stingray on the first three albums (although I heard somewhere that he used a Sabre (not sure I believe that)) albeit with a bit of Spector thrown in here and there on Uplift Mofo. Mother's Milk I think is Spector and Stingray, Blood Sugar is almost all Wal (apart from 5 string tracks then Stingray). I heard somewhere that on One Hot Minute he used an Alembic (Epic??), but it sounds like a few different basses to me. After that album I kind of lost interest, as I personally find each one progressively more disappointing than the (in my opinion) unsurpassed BSSM. But I think it's generally accepted he used his Modulus and Jazz more recently.

FWIW I love Flea's tone on Freaky Styley, but his recorded Wal tones on Blood Sugar are something else - to my ears at least!

[quote name='Mokl' post='93935' date='Nov 24 2007, 08:55 PM']I always thought it was mostly a Stingray on the first three albums (although I heard somewhere that he used a Sabre (not sure I believe that)) albeit with a bit of Spector thrown in here and there on Uplift Mofo. Mother's Milk I think is Spector and Stingray, Blood Sugar is almost all Wal (apart from 5 string tracks then Stingray). I heard somewhere that on One Hot Minute he used an Alembic (Epic??), but it sounds like a few different basses to me. After that album I kind of lost interest, as I personally find each one progressively more disappointing than the (in my opinion) unsurpassed BSSM. But I think it's generally accepted he used his Modulus and Jazz more recently.

FWIW I love Flea's tone on Freaky Styley, but his recorded Wal tones on Blood Sugar are something else - to my ears at least![/quote]
i think blood sugar and freaky styley to me r the best albums

do u kno anyother comparible bassists to flea?

[quote name='[email protected]' post='93943' date='Nov 24 2007, 09:32 PM']but only 4 his style cus its a immense bass but jst not suited 4 him as the stingray or the modulas[/quote]
Knock it on the head with the text speak please. Most of us here are over the age of 12 and don't think it's "gr8". :)

Edited by stingrayfan

Freaky Styley is the album that first made me want to take up bass. I didn't even really know what a bass guitar was up until the point my mate told me to "listen to it". I personally like Freaky Styley and Blood Sugar the best as well. Freaky Styley for the intense rythmns and incredible energy of the playing (from the whole band), and Blood Sugar because, it seems to me, like all of the best aspects of the Chili's in one album. Anthony's voice hadn't got annoying yet - it still had a bit of bite to it, John's guitar is like a catalogue of fabulous tones and playing, Flea has the most amazing tone and plays perfectly in support of every track. Chad does a pretty decent job too!

[quote name='Mokl' post='93957' date='Nov 24 2007, 09:54 PM']Freaky Styley is the album that first made me want to take up bass. I didn't even really know what a bass guitar was up until the point my mate told me to "listen to it". I personally like Freaky Styley and Blood Sugar the best as well. Freaky Styley for the intense rythms and incredible energy of the playing (from the whole band), and Blood Sugar because, it seems to me, like all of the best aspects of the Chili's in one album. Anthony's voice hadn't got annoying yet - it still had a bit of bite to it, John's guitar is like a catalogue of fabulous tones and playing, Flea has the most amazing tone and plays perfectly in support of every track. Chad does a pretty decent job too![/quote]

[quote name='Mokl' post='93959' date='Nov 24 2007, 09:55 PM']ooh, how did that happen ??! :)[/quote]
yeh well on the freaky styley subject, the uplift mofo made me take up the bass but i dont like it when people say that it would be better if hillel was still in it because he was realy good but john got the properly famous anyway

Hey Pimp...

We are sorry if you think we are having a pop at you,but we just dont 'do' txtspk here.

Sorry,if it frustrates you to use vowels in words.

its just kinda how things are done here...

Glad you play Bass,its a world of knowledge and ignorance,with a good slice of information,on here,but you can have fun and make friends.

we are all here to help. :) :huh: :huh: