Why become a member? ×

Suffering for your art

Guest MoJo

I've watched this clip loads of times [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCajiXZCFg&feature=related"]Jaco Modern Bass[/url] but only just noticed Jaco's thumb on his right hand (first seen at about 1 minute 36 seconds in). What the hell is going on there? Obviously years of finger playing had left him with a thumb bent like a boomerang.

I can't watch the clip now without being drawn to that disfigured thumb :)

Edited by bassman2790

I saw the title of this thread and thought it was about actually suffering pain, discomfort or agony for the sake of playing bass...I have just got back from a long day of recording - now even tho it was only three hours actual playing, I'm increasingly finding my old Thumb bass very heavy - not just to stand and play but to carry in its gig - my back is really sore (yes I know that's bad) and getting around London on the tube is a f-ing nightmare - and I had to take both my SWR combo and my bass with me on the tube - so I feel like even tho today was a great session and we got some good stuff down - I've been suffering! Can't wait till the Sei bass is ready - about a month tops now - it's going to be so light by comparison... oh well.

In NO way am I likening myself to Jaco - but I have bendy thumbs too:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8VTLM1r4Ew"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8VTLM1r4Ew[/url]

They are just naturally that way - I don't think they help with any kind of 'spacial' bass techniques - they just sit nicely for a little old floating thumb action.

M

[quote name='urb' post='93989' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:06 PM']I saw the title of this thread and thought it was about actually suffering pain, discomfort or agony for the sake of playing bass...I have just got back from a long day of recording - now even tho it was only three hours actual playing, I'm increasingly finding my old Thumb bass very heavy - not just to stand and play but to carry in its gig - my back is really sore (yes I know that's bad) and getting around London on the tube is a f-ing nightmare[/quote]

Empathise with you there, did a 6 hour practice recently, was hard on my back and shoulders at the end. I think we're going for 4 hours next time, it was a bit too much even for the guitarists.

[quote name='urb' post='93989' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:06 PM']I saw the title of this thread and thought it was about actually suffering pain, discomfort or agony for the sake of playing bass..[/quote]

I thought it was about choosing to be a musician. It's a career most struggle to survive through.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='93927' date='Nov 24 2007, 08:29 PM']He was double jointed!

[/quote]

hey! I thought I was the only one that can do that... never met anyone who could drop the thumb back at 90º or more like me.

I'd be interested to know from other players with the same... uh... qualities what kind of position their thumb is in when they slap... cause I cant get my thumb straight like:

so, I cant use that hand position... I slap with my thumb facing down as someone who'd wear their bass on their knees...

Edited by Aussiephoenix

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='94466' date='Nov 26 2007, 12:03 PM']so, I cant use that hand position... I slap with my thumb facing down as someone who'd wear their bass on their knees...[/quote]

I have the same thumbs, and i'm in eactly the same situation!

(we should get t-shirts)

Actually the pain thing is a, err, pain. I get all sorts of aches and pains as I get older; shoulders aching, hands and arms sore etc. I don't get blisters but my finger tips do get sore when I play too intensely. I guess the problem relates to freelancing and doing some gigs that are a breeze and then, intermittently, doing a longer gig or one with harder, faster grooves or more solo space. Your body doesn't recover as quickly as you get older and things that hurt, hurt longer!

What I do notice, however, is that, if its a good gig, musically satisfying/exciting etc, I get less pains. I wonder if its a posture thing? If I am bored/disatisfied, I slouch and the pains kick in. I'll have a think about that!!

Carry on...

Edited by bilbo230763