Why become a member? ×

Anyone here using Warwick Profet amps?

AussieBassman

I'm using a profet3.2 with 2 hartke cabs, clean and punchy, altho I am waiting for am ampeg so it might be on the market in a bit. I've nothing bad to say about the profet tho, it has a nice, simple eq and sounds great.

The only con I've heard is that the on/off switch is round the back, but that's only an issue if you have it in a deep rack case

I have a pro-fet III (slightly older German made version). I think it really sounds great, doesn't colour the sound much but gives you massive tonal options. I may actually be trying to get rid of it soon (see a couple posts below). I don't really like warwick basses but I've really liked all their amps that I've used.

Hi, just got myself a new profet 3.2 last week, done it's 1st gig on saturday. I run it through a Hartke 2.5XL. My thoughts are that it's a very "flat" or uncoloured amp when eq is bypassed. This is comparing it to my very limited experience of bass amp heads (Ampeg svt, hartke 3500/5500, New TE heads, a couple of peaveys and ashdown mags & abm ranges.) The EQ is well implemented though, and the compressor seems subtle & transparent. The head doesn't seem very "loud" but I'm running it at 8 ohms, and the voicing is very clean and "un-hyped"
As has been said it probably is the best "low cost" (sub £200) head on the market. IMO.

I have a Profet 3.2 that has been relegated to practice and Kids amp.
Sounds nice and has lots of tone controls. Not enough power though. Need sensitive (Efficient + Large) cabs as well as quiet drummer and guitar to hold its own in a band.

Only cost me £180 New though. It would be unreasonable to expect a huge performance from a £180 quid amp.

My current Quadruplet pre + 750w Digital power rig was £450 Second hand, would have cost £1200 to buy new. - No competition in performance.

I've been gigging a Profet 5.1 and Warwick 410 cab for the last 12 months.

The amp is transparent, with good eq and DEEP and BRIGHT switches. The compressor is not very strong but is oh so simple and works ok, and the contour control can make a BIG difference.

Front mounted MUTE switch is superb.

The amp seems a little under powered, and I HATE the way it clips so easily, I have to be very careful with the setting of the input gain. Press the DEEP button or boost the bass and on comes the clip light.

It has been said elsewhere that you should set the gain so the clipping light flashes when playing hard, but I'm never happy with this as when that light comes on I can HEAR it clip, which is not a sound I like.

As already mentioned for the 3.2, the on switch is at the back, which is a pain to reach through the 2u case it travels in.......

I know it must sound like I don't like it - this isn't true and it is serving me well, but if you're spending some hard earned cash then you need to know both good and bad. I can't remember what I paid for it new, but I remember it was the same price as the 3.2 in the UK - I chose the 5.1 after reading how underpowered the 3.2 was, and I am glad I did.

I guess the real problem is that I've fallen in love with an Ampeg i played at a gig a few weeks ago. Incoming GAS attack ........

Edited by barneythedog

[quote name='barneythedog' post='97104' date='Dec 1 2007, 09:37 AM']The amp seems a little under powered, and I HATE the way it clips so easily, I have to be very careful with the setting of the input gain. Press the DEEP button or boost the bass and on comes the clip light.

It has been said that you should set the gain so the clipping light flashes when playing hard, but I'm never happy with this as when that light comes on I can HEAR it clip, which is not a sound I like.[/quote]
I really like my Profet 5.1 but I too find it can clip too early. The output is very sensistive to the gain, i.e. adjust that slightly and it makes a big difference between quiet and loud, which is a pain if you have to back it off during a gig. Agree that it's not the loudest amp but it's a good workhorse that does me proud for covers gigs. Worth pointing out that they're also pretty heavy.

On the plus side, it's a lot of amp for the money, and has a much nicer sound (to my ears) than Ashdown and Hartke. The contour gives a nice scooped Trace Elliot sound too. I use the mute switch all the time and the treble boost button is really handy at gigs when it gets too muddy. Also the dials are metal and don't feel like they'll drop off tomorrow, which I couldn't say about my old Hartke 2500.

All in all, it's a good working amp for not much money but don't expect the earth!