Mods to Ibanez GSR-180, WM Clone & Gear List

Bottle

Taking down the bass - bit by bit:

Tasks:

(1) Remove strings, neck and bridge
(2) Remove Pickups
(3) Remove controls + knobs + jack socket

Then it gets interesting:

(4) Mark out and drill pilot hole for S1-style toggle switch (DPDT)
(5) Drill out hole and check alignment of switch
(6) Redo control cavity shielding + pickup routes grounded back to CC. Redo bridge ground.
(7) Re-fit pots + jack
(8) Re-fit Pickups and complete/tidy up CC wiring. Give the bass body a once over to clean etc.
(9) Stick the neck back on, re-string etc.

Photo's of build progress & wiring diagram attached

Hope this is interesting to anyone

Ian

Edited by Bottle

Good stuff!!

Today I have been mostly: shielding the control cavity - lined it with copper tape. Done the pickup routes as well. Wiring will go in last. Drilled the pilot hole - am happy with the location so will drill out to diameter once the switch arrives. Might be changing the knobs for knurled aluminium - the cheap plastic ones on there at the moment are a bit flimsy.

All-in-all a productive afternoon :)

Photo's of progress to follow

Ian

Done!!!! Phew, that was an interesting time - made a few minor mistakes, but it's all gone together OK.

Here's the rest of the process

Enjoy!!!

Now to tune up and test it out. I'll record some clips once it's all tidied up

Ian

Hi all!

@ TankJon - TBH it's only the jack socket wiring that's a little longer than the rest, and it's all within the cavity. The pickup wiring is all screened anyway, so shouldn't be a problem - I've certainly not noticed any issues yet - got gigged Friday night in anger (first time I've played it since getter the Squier)

@ 7String - the plastic cover already has a foil lining - I've just redone inside the cavity up to the point where the lid makes contact.

Well, thanks for taking the time to have a look at the process - I'm happy with the results, both aesthetically and musically: there is a definite boost to the mids when switched in series, as well as an overall bump in output, so I'm well chuffed with the result. Maybe I'll get some sound-clips posted up once I've pushed it a little through the full stack......

HTH, Ian

• 4 months later...

OK, This is now evolving into a general gear and build thread - I've had several requests for info on the Woolly Mammoth build

HTH, Ian

Gear List (Copied from old signature)

Basses - Squier Precision Special - Walnut (Tuned ADGC!!) | Ibanez GSR180 - Black/Tobacco grainburst (Tuned EADG) (Modified S1)
Amplification (Gigs) - Gallien-Krueger MB[sup]2[/sup]-500 > EBS Proline 410 (4x10), EBS Proline 300 (1x15)
Amplification (Rack) - ProSound PS1000 Amp, ProSound PS12 (1x12) PA Cab x2, Behringer Ultra-Comp 2ch compressor, Ultra-X 2-way crossover (with sub out)
Amplification (Practice) - Line6 Lowdown 110 > DI > M-Audio FastTrackPro > Toshiba A20 Satellite laptop
Pedal Stuff - Boss TU-2 > SansAmp Para Driver DI

Old Pedal Stuff - Boss ODB-3 > Woolly Mammoth clone > Digitech Bass Synth Wah envelope filter

Edited by Bottle

• 3 weeks later...

Li'l update time :) EHX Big Muff, JOYO OD's, CEB-3, Bad Monkey, Flashback and Micro POG came in. Some mods proposed, like having a series/parallel switch for the humbucker. Also defretting the P-Special - no need for [i]two[/i] fretted rosewood boards :D Now have a PT Nano+ and a Classic JR pedalbaord

Basses - Squier Precision Special (defretted) - Walnut, Tuned D-Major7th (D,F#,A,C#) | Ibanez GSR180 - Black/Tobacco grainburst (Tuned EADG) (Modified S1)
Squier has a random set on to get the Major/Minor Pentatonic tuning, 0.105" for the D, 0.100" for the F# (yes I know, its pretty tight!), then an 'A' and a 'D' from another set.
Ibanez has DR Hibeams (Medium) 0.045" - 0.105".
Squier and Ibanez both have rosewood fretboards and thinner Jazz-style necks.

Amplification (Rack) - ProSound PS1000 Amp Mk II, ProSound PS12 (1x12) PA Cab x2, Behringer Ultra-Comp 2ch compressor, ProSound 2-way stereo crossover (with low-sum output)
Amplification (Practice) - Line6 Lowdown 110 & 4W DIY Valve Amp
Pedal Board A (Utility on Nano+) - Boss TU-2 > EHX MicroPOG > SansAmp Para-Driver DI & Digitech Bad Monkey OD into stereo X-over > Amp
Pedal Board B (F/X on Classic JR) - Palmer D'Accapo reamp box > Joyo Ultimate Drive > EHX Bass Big Muff Pi > Boss CEB-3 > TC Electronics Flashback Delay > Amp(s)

GAS - room for Mr Black Eterna Gold and Earthquaker Devices Organizer

Old Pedal Stuff - Woolly Mammoth clone (DIY Build)

Edited by Bottle

• 11 months later...

Moving house soon, plus need to free up some cash, so the following items are up for sale:

[s]EBS 4x10 Cab[/s]
[s]EBS 1x15 Cab[/s]
[s]GK MB500 Head[/s]
[s]Rode NT4 Microphone[/s]
[s]Behringer CX2310 x-over[/s]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160480-for-sale-miscellaneous-speakon-cables-for-pabass-use/"]Speakon Cables[/url]

I'll add and remove links as and when they go up for sale (and when they're sold) - best to check back here regularly :)

Ta muchly

Edited by Bottle