Why become a member? ×

compressor time

john_the_bass

John,

The SMX is a pedal, but the Line6 is built into the XT pro (and I think the XT and LIVE models). However there is a pedal they do called the 'constrictor' [url="http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINMS4"]http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINMS4[/url] but I cannot find if is based on the LA-2A like the pod one. The other compressors in the pod (based on a MXR Dynacomp and something else) are not as good in my opinion - just like the real things!

Dood - let me know if you want to try it and I can post it to you to play with.

I use a DBX MC6 which is based on the DBX 160a model, so it's pretty good quality technology. Very easy to use, has an auto-mode so it'll do it all for you and can be used on any instrument or even your recordings to great effect.

It's not something you see often but it is a great compressor for the money - better than any Boss Pedal I've tried or the Trace Elliot SMX pedal I had, though I've no idea how it would stack up against DHA or EBS etc. It's not a rack model or a pedal design, so has to be looked after carefully, but I wouldn't be without it now...

Picked mine up new off Ebay for £25.00 from the States and it cost me £12.00 to get it shipped over.

Nik

I'm using a BBE Opto Stomp which I bought on eBay from these people [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBE-Opto-Stomp-stomp-box-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ320186986079QQihZ011QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBE-Opto-Stomp-stomp...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

It's a very nice set and forget compressor which does everything I want a compressor to do and nothing I don't - it just smooths everything out nicely.

If you want something that can add some tonal colouration, worth looking out for the Tech 21 compressor that's now been discontinued (forget what it was called).

[quote name='Stewart' post='94555' date='Nov 26 2007, 02:18 PM']Regarding the DHA compressor:

Because the designer/builder is a user on this board?
Because it's orange and green
Because it's got a valve in it

:)[/quote]

"Different animal to a digital compressor" Said Dave when I finally gave in and admitted I just coudln't work out how to use it. I'm a numpty so I just wanted
a simple thing that did what the compressor in my old Peavey combo did.
Dave's valve optical compressor does something else. I didn't understand it nor could I get it to do what I wanted ...

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='98195' date='Dec 3 2007, 03:35 PM']any body got any experience of the punch factory?
I know tayste says on this thread he's used one but wondering if anybody has any detail on one as a comparison?

Can't find a pulp mill on tonefactors website[/quote]

Pulp Mill is special order just email [email protected] mention me and he'll sort you straight out

I'll leave the Punch Factory comments but if no one else chirps up I'll post my thoughts on it.

I've not heard good things about the BBE

I used to use a PF. Nice sound, colours up the bass in a nice way. I wouldn't say it's totally transparent, it's got it's own sound, but a nice sound I must add. Build quality lets it down as the switches and input jacks are doomed to fail over long haul use. (they're all PCB mounted) It's got a DI built in so that's semi useful.

The EBS is pretty darn transparent, solid,versatile in that it has several modes (tube/normal/dual) and you can also add gain to the signal beefing things up somewhat.

They're both nice sounding units IMO. For the extra cash you get the full transparency of the EBS with little to no colouration. It tightens things up in the low end nicely.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='98195' date='Dec 3 2007, 03:35 PM']any body got any experience of the punch factory?
I know tayste says on this thread he's used one but wondering if anybody has any detail on one as a comparison?

Can't find a pulp mill on tonefactors website[/quote]

Old Horse Murphy has a Punch Factory