Why become a member? ×

compressor time

john_the_bass

i'm going to ask me dad for a compressor this year - i've got about 27 christmases worth of cufflinks now.

any recommendations? What I would like is something that gives my bass the punch of a kick drum (if that's possible) - or near as dammit anyway.

nothing that costs a lot - so that rules out a keeley one.
Probably somewhere under 100 quid and preferably 70 quid and under (it's me birthday too, so i'm allowed good presents!)

I highly recommend a Tone Factor Pulp Mill w/Bass Mod if you email them they will sort you out and that will be under £100 other than that you'll be spending over £100 on a new unit as the only others I'd look at is a EBS Multicomp or a Demeter.

So shoot [email protected] an email and tell him Steven Taylor sent you his way and he'll sort you out with what I feel is the best pedal compressors.

Hope this helps

I've not tried any boutique etc stuff as mentioned above^ just Boss, digitech, Zoom, cheap ones, y'know, but:

I know it's weird and "cheap" but the Ibanez cp5 has the most punch ever! I have tried a lot of compressors, and this little bad boy is the best! It's a little noisy, but the attack knob makes up for that. I'd love it if one other BC member got a cp5 and agreed with me. Just one!

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='94451' date='Nov 26 2007, 11:33 AM']I highly recommend a Tone Factor Pulp Mill w/Bass Mod if you email them they will sort you out and that will be under £100 other than that you'll be spending over £100 on a new unit as the only others I'd look at is a EBS Multicomp or a Demeter.

So shoot [email protected] an email and tell him Steven Taylor sent you his way and he'll sort you out with what I feel is the best pedal compressors.

Hope this helps[/quote]

why and what benefit do the mods bring?

[quote name='Stewart' post='94510' date='Nov 26 2007, 01:16 PM']DHA !

[url="http://www.davehallamps.co.uk/Products,%20VT1-BassCompressor.htm"]DHA Compressor[/url][/quote]

why?

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='94511' date='Nov 26 2007, 01:16 PM']I recommend the EBS MultiComp.

[url="http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html#ebs"]<a href="http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html#ebs" target="_blank">http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html#ebs[/url]</a>[/quote]

and why?

just wondering what's good about each one.
cheers to cheddatom for his reasons.

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='94530' date='Nov 26 2007, 01:40 PM']BBE OptoStomp.

Economical.
Very simple to set up and operate.
Very effective in live and recording situations.
Bombproof.

QED. :huh:[/quote]

cool cheers

[quote name='Stewart' post='94555' date='Nov 26 2007, 02:18 PM']Regarding the DHA compressor:

Because the designer/builder is a user on this board?
Because it's orange and green
Because it's got a valve in it

:)[/quote]

how does it sound/how effective is it?
I like ashdown stuff and that's got a valve in it - a fair few people on here think it's a load of crap

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='94516' date='Nov 26 2007, 01:21 PM']why and what benefit do the mods bring?[/quote]

Just gives it better low end response it is reviewed on Bongo's compressor review page as he did the mods to mine but Tone Factor can now offer these as well.

I've owned an EBS Multi Comp, Rane DC24, Boss LMB-3 and tried the Demeter and the Aphex Punch Factory and the Tone Factor really does do it for me.

[quote]how does it sound/how effective is it?
I like ashdown stuff and that's got a valve in it - a fair few people on here think it's a load of crap[/quote]

Why not ask Dave (DHA) if he would let you try one?

Otherwise, I'd be surprised if anything Tone Factor (Mojo Hand?) wasn't pretty good...

[quote name='Stewart' post='94588' date='Nov 26 2007, 03:26 PM']Why not ask Dave (DHA) if he would let you try one?

Otherwise, I'd be surprised if anything Tone Factor (Mojo Hand?) wasn't pretty good...[/quote]

not a bad idea

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='94600' date='Nov 26 2007, 03:53 PM']Fine with everything I can throw at it[/quote]

and
cheers

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='94573' date='Nov 26 2007, 02:53 PM']cool cheers

how does it sound/how effective is it?
I like ashdown stuff and that's got a valve in it - a fair few people on here think it's a load of crap[/quote]

CrazyKiwi did a pretty comprehensive review of a DHA Compressor in the Reviews forum here on BC - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6002"]here[/url]

[quote name='ped' post='94660' date='Nov 26 2007, 05:37 PM']I have a Trace SMX dual band compressor I might be selling soon so if interested send moi a PM!

Cheers
ped

P.s my fave compressor ever is the Line6 LA-2A model, just amazing![/quote]

Ped, I'd love an opportunity to A/B the trace against my EBS Multicomp, as essentially they are similar pedals.. both dual band compressors etc....

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='94650' date='Nov 26 2007, 05:16 PM']CrazyKiwi did a pretty comprehensive review of a DHA Compressor in the Reviews forum here on BC - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6002"]here[/url][/quote]

yes that was very useful, thank you for pointing me in the direction

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='94658' date='Nov 26 2007, 05:31 PM']EBS Multicomp. I sold mine and have regretted it every day since. I'm using a T-Rex CompNova now, which is very good. It's also a sickly shade of avocado green - the advantage of that being that thieves will look at it and walk away.[/quote]

Al - can I assume you prefer the EBS?

[quote name='ped' post='94660' date='Nov 26 2007, 05:37 PM']I have a Trace SMX dual band compressor I might be selling soon so if interested send moi a PM!

Cheers
ped

P.s my fave compressor ever is the Line6 LA-2A model, just amazing![/quote]

Ped are they both pedals?