Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Combo Conversion - Please HELP!!!!!!

CPBass

Hi Folks,

Ive been lugging my trusty Ashdown EVO 500 4 x 10 combo around the UK for nearly 7 years. Its a beast of thing let me tell you. Sooooo in my infinite wisdom I decided to convert the combo to separates. To my utter astonishment all is well!!! I have the head all snug in a new sleeve and got the 4 x 10 cab all sanded down ready for its new "Ashdown" hide covering.

There are 2 niggling issues I need help with:

1) Ive got an ashdown cab connector plate but am clueless as to how to wire it up. As it was a combo Im left with a little 3" of cable and a jack plug out the top of the cab, obviously I need to move this to the back of the cab for easy connection. Im OK with the structural surgery but am flumoxed by the connector as it has Jack and Speakon connectors. HELP!!! Any ideas???

2) Ive got a load of this "hide" covering and strong spray adhesive but am savvy enough to know that these things work best if stuck on a certain way. Anyone done this before?

Any help would be soooo much appreciated.

The good news is that the combo is now a lot more manageable as regards its weight so if I can get these issues sorted Ill a happy fatstring plucker all over again :)

Cheers in anticipation of advice.

Col

Edited by Voodoosnake

• 2 weeks later...

I don't come to the repairs and tech page too often unless I have questions so didn't see your post 'til now.

I have the same rig as you and would be interested in seeing some pics of your chop job project. :)

I made a rough diagram of mines innards using the same colour coding when I 1st got it if you'd like to compare. Mine are Sica drivers.

I also have a newer ABM 410T with Celestions. It has 2 parallel 1/4" jack holes but no speakon. It's up against a wall just now with the Evo500 on top so I'd rather not shift it unless I need to (know what I mean) but if you want I could whip off the back plate and post a pic for you to check yours with.

• 1 month later...

I know this is a bit of thread necromancy but could you explain how you went about separating the head and cab of your combo? I really want to just have a head and my extension cab instead of combo + cab for gigs but I'm not too hot on DIY so it'd be cool to see how you went about it.

Did you source a head enclosure or make one, also where did you get your covering and stuff from?

Cheers,
Pete

[quote name='SwordRaven' post='122594' date='Jan 18 2008, 04:24 AM']I know this is a bit of thread necromancy but could you explain how you went about separating the head and cab of your combo? I really want to just have a head and my extension cab instead of combo + cab for gigs but I'm not too hot on DIY so it'd be cool to see how you went about it.

Did you source a head enclosure or make one, also where did you get your covering and stuff from?

Cheers,
Pete[/quote]

Hi Pete,

I sourced a new sleeve for the head from Ashdown. I explained my project to Guy there and he sold me covering and corner pieces etc.

The carpentry work I did myself but Im sure if your not confident any chippy worth his salt will do a grand job for you. The covering is a tricky job tho, very messy with spray glue. Im not happy with my DIY job so may get the whole cab re covered by a pro. Depends on costs though as it looks fine from a distance :)

Hope this helps

Col

[quote name='Voodoosnake' post='122885' date='Jan 18 2008, 02:32 PM']Hi Pete,

I sourced a new sleeve for the head from Ashdown. I explained my project to Guy there and he sold me covering and corner pieces etc.

The carpentry work I did myself but Im sure if your not confident any chippy worth his salt will do a grand job for you. The covering is a tricky job tho, very messy with spray glue. Im not happy with my DIY job so may get the whole cab re covered by a pro. Depends on costs though as it looks fine from a distance :)

Hope this helps

Col[/quote]

Cheers, that's great :huh: