Why become a member? ×

Fretless, Strings and Beats - new solo bass tune

urb

Hi Peeps

Spent a couple of hours on a very wet Bank Holiday Monday with Garage Band and knocked up this little tune. I used a couple of string section samples and wrote the melody and chords to fit them then found a couple of nice drum loops - I really love 4Hero and really dig the beats with strings vibe, Zero 7 have done it great too - anyway this is the bass fusion version - let me know what you think:

[url="http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=64359"]'Flunky'[/url] - MP3

Cheers

Mike

Hi fellas - thanks for the positive feedback - I'd love to hire a real string section one day...mmmm, money!

Jamie - I actually ran my bass straight into the old Tascam US-122 USB interface out the back of my SWR Baby Baby Blue combo - it has a lush sound - though the bass sounds very similar recorded direct. I did EQ the sound afterwards but just boosted various mids and tweaked the top and bottom end a little and added some reverb to separate things out a little - I'm pleased with the tone overall. And it's all bridge pickup.

Nate - this is kind of how this bass sounds so it is thinner sounding than your classic Jaco tone, but I'm trying to avoid that a bit as well, there are some nice low notes on the latter half of the tune but I if it's not your preference no worries, glad you ennjoyed it.

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='jwbassman' post='8921' date='May 30 2007, 12:20 AM']Hi Mike

Bass solo has a real cool vibe to it, but you need to get a better drummer :)

John[/quote]

Yeah man I agree! Thanks for checking it out

Mike

• 6 years later...

Hi, I like the idea, the sound, nice melody and I really appreciate your effort. Well done. I just would like to suggest some improvements of tune editing/mixing etc.
First part of the tune is very strong and there is a lot of passion. When start beats at time 1:04, you are playing more deep notes and some fast licks above. Bass needs more volume here, because low notes sounds always quietly. Try to focus on dynamic of your right hand as well. Long notes are strong, but fast notes are so drowned sometimes. (the same apply when you repeat at 2:40). Slap backing line with drums at 1:36 is cool, sounds surprising at the right moment. Maybe the starting solo melody is a bit loud for a few seconds. Don´t be afraid of making the support slap bass more distinct. The good way as to do it, is simple. Just turn the slap bass panorama slightly to the side. This will make two bass lines a bit separated from one direction. Especially end of tune from 3:20 needs this panorama separation.
Keep up the interesting work, I´m fan of the way, how you thinking about bass lines. I used to make it similar way.... :D
Zdenek

Edited by Two Basses

[quote name='Two Basses' timestamp='1370330650' post='2099087']
Hi, I like the idea, the sound, nice melody and I really appreciate your effort. Well done. I just would like to suggest some improvements of tune editing/mixing etc.
First part of the tune is very strong and there is a lot of passion. When start beats at time 1:04, you are playing more deep notes and some fast licks above. Bass needs more volume here, because low notes sounds always quietly. Try to focus on dynamic of your right hand as well. Long notes are strong, but fast notes are so drowned sometimes. (the same apply when you repeat at 2:40). Slap backing line with drums at 1:36 is cool, sounds surprising at the right moment. Maybe the starting solo melody is a bit loud for a few seconds. Don´t be afraid of making the support slap bass more distinct. The good way as to do it, is simple. Just turn the slap bass panorama slightly to the side. This will make two bass lines a bit separated from one direction. Especially end of tune from 3:20 needs this panorama separation.
Keep up the interesting work, I´m fan of the way, how you thinking about bass lines. I used to make it similar way.... :D
Zdenek
[/quote]

Er - hi... I made this track 6 years ago - I didn't even realise it was still online!

I appreciate your comments but hopefully I've moved on a little (i.e. a lot) since I made this - I was still using Garageband and listening to it now it's not that band - the samples are a bit naff I agree :)

I guess a better place to hear where I'm at (or at least have been) now is on my Bandcamp page here:

[url="http://mikeflynnsurb.bandcamp.com/"]http://mikeflynnsurb.bandcamp.com/[/url]

my solo album thing is still alright too:

http://mikeflynnsurb.bandcamp.com/album/homespun

Thanks for reminding me I had a page on the iComp website - I'd totally forgotten about it!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by urb