Why become a member? ×

Interesting - Russian green Big Muff schematics

1976fenderhead

I found this website:

[url="http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm"]http://www.pisotones.com/BigMuffPi/psst/BMP_versions.htm[/url]

You can see the schematics of pretty much all the versions of the Big Muff to date. It's interesting that aparently, you can buy a black one and get the highly coveted tone of the green model (used by the guy in Muse or Mike Watt among others) by simply changing 3 elements... Here's what it says there:

"Current russian reissue (black)
Differences with the green russian are insignificant, just three resistor values. The one that sets the minimum sustain passes from 1k in the green russian to 10k in the black reissue. The 20k resistor in the tonestack is now 22k, and the resistor to ground in the last trannie was 2k and now is 2k7."

Anyone there with the knowledge could make some money with this mod, if it's all there is to it... Or even maybe build it from scratch with Maplin box, parts, etc... I'd buy it if it worked!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='steve' post='17269' date='Jun 13 2007, 11:02 PM']so what else does it need?[/quote]

Audio grade components have their own sounds. To make a "vintage" circuit sound like a pedal made in "vintage" times, you really need NOS components.

[quote name='Toasted' post='17360' date='Jun 14 2007, 08:45 AM']Audio grade components have their own sounds. To make a "vintage" circuit sound like a pedal made in "vintage" times, you really need NOS components.[/quote]

+1 from me Toasted. I have quite a bit of valve hifi gear, and NOS components and ideally valves are a key part of what makes the sound.
I almost hesitate to ask, but can someone explain what a Russion Big Muff - or indeed a Big Black Muff - do to the sound??

- Never thought I'd write that...

[quote name='Toasted' post='17360' date='Jun 14 2007, 08:45 AM']Audio grade components have their own sounds. To make a "vintage" circuit sound like a pedal made in "vintage" times, you really need NOS components.[/quote]

are we just talking about the semi-conductors, or does it extend to caps and resisitors as well?

[quote name='twentyhertz' post='17446' date='Jun 14 2007, 11:05 AM']It tempts me a lot, but I'm a little emotionally attached to this particular muff![/quote]

I think we've all been there at some point in our lives :)

[quote name='Chop' post='17365' date='Jun 14 2007, 08:52 AM']+1 from me Toasted. I have quite a bit of valve hifi gear, and NOS components and ideally valves are a key part of what makes the sound.
I almost hesitate to ask, but can someone explain what a Russion Big Muff - or indeed a Big Black Muff - do to the sound??

- Never thought I'd write that...[/quote]

Bump.. I'm genuinely curious...