Why become a member? ×

Opinions on some 5str Basses please

Aussiephoenix

Guys, I'm currently thinking of getting myself another 5 String bass,
Though I'm kinda at a loss of what to get, so I'd like to hear some of your opinions.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a good allround bass, something that isnt so specifically voiced as an MM for example...
I play rock, hardrock, metal and Funk.
And something that is still affordable, so no Sadowskies or Jerzy's (I WISH)...

Locally, I've been looking through Forums and there isn't all that much that attracts my attention, but these have me mildly interested.

[b]Warwick Thumb 5 Bolt on[/b]. Classic Warwick tone. 2 x MEC Jazz style pickups, jammed so close to the bridge that this thing cant help but honk. Active passive switching, bass and treble control. Ovankol body and neck, wendge fretboard. Made in Germany.

[b]Cort B5 Natural Mahogany[/b]. One of our most popular 5 strings. Wendge neck, rosewood board Bartolini pickups, active preamp. Excellent sounding bass for an amazing price.

[b]Yamaha TRB5-II[/b] Gold Hardware,rosewood Fretboard,Maple neck,Solid Brass Bridge, 5-control system:master volume, pan, bass cut/boost,mid-range cut/boost, treble cut/boost, pickups 2 active single coils with dummy coils, Ash Body

[b]Status Shark Pro Active[/b]
[u]
I know NOTHING about this bass... care to enlighten me?[/u]

So,this is the Kind of money range I'm aiming at (2nd hand of course)... so, what do you guys think about these?

Also, do you have any options that I may have overlooked?

Cheers in advance for all input.
:)

I have to say there's nothing there that floats my boat mate. Speaking personally I don't like Warwicks without Wenge necks at all (actually that's not true - the maple necked ones are ok, but I HATE HATE HATE ovangkol), detested every one of the Yamaha TRB2 basses I've ever played and wasn't horrified by the status, but wouldn't have bought it myself. Not sure about the Cort... In that sort of pricerange you could hold out for a nice Lakland though. Would beat all the above into a cocked hat without batting an eye and versatile too! Just IMHO and YMMV and all that...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='8727' date='May 29 2007, 06:47 PM']In that sort of pricerange you could hold out for a nice Lakland though. Would beat all the above into a cocked hat without batting an eye and versatile too! Just IMHO and YMMV and all that...[/quote]

I'll go along with that. A good Lakland can do almost anything you'd ever want to do. I'd check out the difference between the Bartolini pickups and the Laklands that are being supplied on some basses. I don't like the Lakland pickups. Good luck.

My 4 string Thumb is good for rock, metal, and slap. Not as versatile as some basses. Wouldn't say it's so good for 'honk' (if you mean the sort of 70's funk/disco thang that seems more set up for Jazzes).
Regarding the Wenge/Ovangkol thing I would suggest you audition yourself, I don't find that much difference myself, if anything I prefer the feel of Ovangkol.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='8767' date='May 29 2007, 07:37 PM']I'd always recommend a Stingray, as I think they're a great 5 stringer. Unfortunately, I think I know what your answer to that is, as I don't think you like Stingrays much, right?[/quote]

Nah, as you know, the stingray, to me sounds everything but versatile...

I'd really like to get my hands on a Lakland to try it out, but they're incredibly rare around here...

pssst.: Bassaussie, not selling the Jazz. I set it up last night, took it to band practice and I just wasnt ready for that sound... I think I'm going to put a "NO SALE" sticker on that one to remind me that if it doesnt sound as good as it used to, it needs a setup. :)

Hi

I had the fretless version of the Yamaha - the TRB5F - it was my main bass for a number of years (certain amount of sentimental value to as it was my 21st birthday present from my Dad) Until I moved up to my Overwater :huh:

I was well built as with all Yamaha products - it maybe doesn't have the appeal of some of the other bass brands but it was a solid performer and I've still got it as a back up. Yes, It's mass produced but to a very high standard, maybe lacks some of the refinement of other basses in it's price range but very reliable and versatile... :)

John

I'd say go with the Yamaha out of those you've given, if its the only bass you're going to use. Its a solid, well-built workhorse that won't let you down in a variety of gigging situations. Also consider the Status Groove 5 if you are considering a Stingray, they're outstanding value for money secondhand.

That there pic is of a TRB5 mark 1 (you can tell cos of the scalloping under the neck pickup). If you see one of those absolutely snap it up!! (or tell me where it is).
I have a TRB5-II and it is a very versatile bass. Excellent value for money. The mark 1's rock though.

You can do a hell of a lot worse for the money with an Ibanez SRX505 they are fantastic rock and metal basses with those 2 huge MM style pups.

I'd happily have one over all the basses you've listed above and wouldn't mind one in my personal collection which is made up of those high end and custom bass you asked us not to mention in this thread.