Why become a member? ×

Never done it before

stewblack

I've been asked to dep at a mates wedding on the old double bass. Thing is, it's this Saturday, we'll be playing in the actual church during the ceremony, I've no free evenings to rehearse with the other musicians, oh and I've never touched a double bass in my life before.
What do you guys think - I should politely decline? Or it's a piece of cake!!!

Guest subaudio

[quote name='stewblack' post='8550' date='May 29 2007, 12:17 PM']I've been asked to dep at a mates wedding on the old double bass. Thing is, it's this Saturday, we'll be playing in the actual church during the ceremony, I've no free evenings to rehearse with the other musicians, oh and I've never touched a double bass in my life before.
What do you guys think - I should politely decline? Or it's a piece of cake!!![/quote]

I would politley decline, double bass is completley different to electric bass, and if you havent played one before you'll get a bit of a shock as they count off the first song, cool that your getting offerd work though, maybe you should buy one, get some lessons and start doubling?

I've been studying double bass for 5 month's, (I have played and gigged/sessioned on electric bass for nearly 20 years) and wouldn't take a paid gig on DB just yet, in another 6 months time though.....

[quote name='subaudio' post='8554' date='May 29 2007, 12:33 PM']I would politley decline, double bass is completley different to electric bass, and if you havent played one before you'll get a bit of a shock as they count off the first song, cool that your getting offerd work though, maybe you should buy one, get some lessons and start doubling?

I've been studying double bass for 5 month's, (I have played and gigged/sessioned on electric bass for nearly 20 years) and wouldn't take a paid gig on DB just yet, in another 6 months time though.....[/quote]

I've made it clear it's pretty unlikely that I'd risk ruining any part of someone's wedding ceremony just for the fun of having a stab at something I don't know. It is however something I wouldn't mind trying, but it is I assume an expensive thing to get into?

Guest subaudio

[quote name='stewblack' post='8681' date='May 29 2007, 05:02 PM']I've made it clear it's pretty unlikely that I'd risk ruining any part of someone's wedding ceremony just for the fun of having a stab at something I don't know. It is however something I wouldn't mind trying, but it is I assume an expensive thing to get into?[/quote]

It can be but then again you can spend crazy money on an electric bass too, you can find a decent used basses for under a grand or a decent new bass will cost about a grand as a starting point but the sky's the limit, (I am not an expert at all by the way) the only real advice I can give is find a teacher, they will show you the techniques and tell you what to avoid when buying a bass, and as posted elsewhere, the teacher will often let you use their bass in the lesson.

Where are you based?

Guest subaudio

[quote name='stewblack' post='8708' date='May 29 2007, 05:47 PM']In the west country between Wells and Bath.[/quote]

Ah ok, sorry, if you were London based I could suggest someone, I think once you start to hanker after DB it's already too late, it'll get you in the end :) there really is nothing like it for sound and feel, I still love playing electric bass, and it seems physically less of a strain when I go back, but I rarely pick it up these days comparatively.

I am beginning to think about selling my first bass, which is totally fine to learn on and with an ebony fingerboard, new strings and a pickup it would be a great gigging bass, which was my plan but then my Zeller came up as a straight swap for a fretless I wasn’t using so I shelved the idea, the bass is worth about £350 as is and would probably cost about £500 to get up to gig spec. just to give you an idea (as i understand it) of what's out there and what the options are without spending huge amount's of money.

[quote name='subaudio' post='8718' date='May 29 2007, 06:04 PM']Ah ok, sorry, if you were London based I could suggest someone, I think once you start to hanker after DB it's already too late, it'll get you in the end :) there really is nothing like it for sound and feel, I still love playing electric bass, and it seems physically less of a strain when I go back, but I rarely pick it up these days comparatively.

I am beginning to think about selling my first bass, which is totally fine to learn on and with an ebony fingerboard, new strings and a pickup it would be a great gigging bass, which was my plan but then my Zeller came up as a straight swap for a fretless I wasn’t using so I shelved the idea, the bass is worth about £350 as is and would probably cost about £500 to get up to gig spec. just to give you an idea (as i understand it) of what's out there and what the options are without spending huge amount's of money.[/quote]

Thanks mate. Not started serious GAS yet for the double bass but I have an outline plan for a project which, should it ever come to fruition will mean me playing the 'real thing' so one day ...

Hi stewblack,

Looks like you don't live far from me - I've got a ply "knock about" upright and the Clifton EUB, so if you want to try one out....I can certainly explain the difference/process of moving from BG to upright. It is addictive though. And expensive.

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='9769' date='May 31 2007, 11:09 AM']Hi stewblack,

Looks like you don't live far from me - I've got a ply "knock about" upright and the Clifton EUB, so if you want to try one out....I can certainly explain the difference/process of moving from BG to upright. It is addictive though. And expensive.

BB[/quote]

What a kind offer - thank you!
Although ... addictive and expensive~? Hmmm, can I afford to even taste it?
Where are you BTW?

• 2 weeks later...

The other thing with going to the double bass cold is that unless you play it very softly, your fingers will probably blister up a treat.

I did exactly the same thing about 10 years ago. Was merrily twanging away when suddenly the strings felt wet. I looked down to see blood all over the bass! Couldn't play electric for a week after that.

Now I play double bass every week and I can stick pins into the calluses on my fingers!

[quote name='phagor' post='17809' date='Jun 14 2007, 07:39 PM']Now I play double bass every week and I can stick pins into the calluses on my fingers![/quote]
:)

(the thread was 2 weeks old though :huh:)

so, stewblack, did you end up playing?

[quote name='setekh' post='17944' date='Jun 15 2007, 12:02 AM']:)

(the thread was 2 weeks old though :huh:)

so, stewblack, did you end up playing?[/quote]
Nope. Ended up watching. the guy did fine, he was just being lazy!