Why become a member? ×

Getting a bit cheesed

Vasquez Rich

Am getting a bit frustrated... my last band (a great band in my opinion and def the best band I have ever been in) ground slowly to a halt for many varied reasons... have been trying to get something going ever since, have hooked up with a coupla guys but it's been frustrating so far, I have even resorted to recording stuff myself even though my guitaring and drumming is rough as a dogs proverbials.

Richard

Edited by Vasquez Rich

I know what you mean, I'm in the same boat.
I was in a band for one and a half years, and was told after a normal gig that we were splitting up. A month down the line and this is on our myspace site:

[i]"Looking for a BASS player for new project!!
Heya, Joe and Matt here from the hit and runs are starting up a new band and we are looking for a bass player to join.

We have drums, lead guitar, guitar+vocal set up and we need a bassist to complete the 4-piece lineup.

If you know anyone that might be interested, that is between the ages of 20-28 and male then please pass on this message. All members have been in bands with heavy gigging experience and we would prefer that the new bassist to have a similar experience, although it is not essential.[/i]

Cheers guys; thanks for the memories. I've known the drummer (Matt) since I was 5!

Anyway, I'm looking at sorting a new band out, but sometimes it does feel like I'm back to square 1.
I've been talking to a guitarist who's a similar age & local, but has never been in a band before. Could be interesting.

I suppose it's like the glass being half full or half empty, or a blank canvas; it's how you look at it.
Starting again can be a pain, but I will have learned, and should be better prepared this time around.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='95379' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:48 PM']I know what you mean, I'm in the same boat.
I was in a band for one and a half years, and was told after a normal gig that we were splitting up. A month down the line and this is on our myspace site:

[i]"Looking for a BASS player for new project!!
Heya, Joe and Matt here from the hit and runs are starting up a new band and we are looking for a bass player to join.

We have drums, lead guitar, guitar+vocal set up and we need a bassist to complete the 4-piece lineup.

If you know anyone that might be interested, that is between the ages of 20-28 and male then please pass on this message. All members have been in bands with heavy gigging experience and we would prefer that the new bassist to have a similar experience, although it is not essential.[/i]

Cheers guys; thanks for the memories. I've known the drummer (Matt) since I was 5![/quote]

That`s really poor mate!! Have you tried Right Guard? Keeps you dry and fresh for most gigging situations! :)

In my experience these guys NEVER prosper as the underhanded tactics will put off others.

Dave

I left my band in September as it went stale (drummer left too). Been looking for something else since and I think only just have I found something decent. There's plenty of time wasting bands and no hopers thinking they'll be the next big thing. Not interested in any of that...

[quote name='King Tut' post='95867' date='Nov 28 2007, 10:52 PM']If you're a good organiser - you're MUCH better off running your own band - if you want it - go out and get it. Pick who you want and get gigging baby!![/quote]

Yes, I always end up being the daddy in the bands I'm in anyway, that's pretty much what I'm trying to do, but, and I'll be honest, it ain't easy to get people to even think about joining when your not in your 20s, or even older!

Richard

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='96285' date='Nov 29 2007, 06:48 PM']Yes, I always end up being the daddy in the bands I'm in anyway, that's pretty much what I'm trying to do, but, and I'll be honest, it ain't easy to get people to even think about joining when your not in your 20s, or even older!

Richard[/quote]

MB1. :)

Theres lots of older bands, still doing there stuff ,if you can play youll find a way!. Dont be disheartened by such uncouth youth!....There Loss! :huh:

i quit my own band and kept the name and songs. I am starting to question the point in even playing music myself. Let alone never buy anything else apart from lunch and music stuff for several years in order to make a home recording studio with over £18k worth of stuff in it. :huh: maybe i should just be like most 14 year old girls and skip lunch altogether. Probably wouldn't be worth it tho even with my impatience.

By the way working on your skills for all 3 instruments (guitar, bass, drums) can really help you out with songwriting. You might even enjoy it! :)

Edited by EdwardHimself

I'm struggling at the moment, after just buying my first house and adjusting to working away from home half the week, I've really let my playing slip and I'm now really struggling to get the motivation to just play...but I've lost all ability and need to get something back before looking for anyone to jam with :)

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='95334' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:02 PM']Am getting a bit frustrated... my last band (a great band in my opinion and def the best band I have ever been in) ground slowly to a halt for many varied reasons... have been trying to get something going ever since, have hooked up with a coupla guys but it's been frustrating so far, I have even resorted to recording stuff myself even though my guitaring and drumming is rough as a dogs proverbials.
Richard[/quote]
Get a new band going and get back out there! Recommend a three-piece. So much more fun.

Yeah, am trying, want to do some psychedelic slanted indie, all wobbly synths and driving bass/drums with some spoken word.. just sort of getting it together with guitar/singer and drummer but finding another guitarist and a keys/synth player has been tough.

My last band was excellent (IMHO), but I supposed I'm a bit biased, but there were too many things against us carrying on, mainly half of the band not living in the same city! I'd drop back in with them in an instant tho.

Richard

[quote name='Vasquez Rich' post='96285' date='Nov 29 2007, 06:48 PM']Yes, I always end up being the daddy in the bands I'm in anyway, that's pretty much what I'm trying to do, but, and I'll be honest, it ain't easy to get people to even think about joining when your not in your 20s, or even older!

Richard[/quote]

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country - I guess I must be lucky - living in Milton Keynes there is a diverse and thriving music scene with loads of musos of all ages and abilities, from indie to classic rock to folk, swing, blues and tributes. Lots of jam/open mic nights and a fair few venues also.

Col