Why become a member? ×

A buyers market at the moment

GreeneKing

Is it just me?

It seems like there's an awful lot of really nices basses around at the moment at good, and ever reducing prices, and no-one seems interseted :huh:

I'm not sure what things are like on eBay at the moment, is it the same there?

I have several basses that I'd like to put up for sale and I'm waiting for the market to be a little more buoyant. It seems like I've been waiting ages :huh:

There really are some stunning bargains around though :)

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='95395' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:10 PM']It seems like there's an awful lot of really nices basses around at the moment at good, and ever reducing prices, and no-one seems interseted :)[/quote]

I'm interested all right - I'd like to take them all home and be their friend, but unfortunately when someone wants a four-figure sum for a bass, the decimal point is missing and as yet no-one has been tempted by my counter-offer of 50p and an almost untouched packet of fruit gums. Hmmm, wonder if anyone would be tempted by one of my motorbikes...

I'm sure that lack of xmas dosh may be a reason for things not selling, but everybody said there was a lack of dosh because of holidays in the summer.
Fact is I've sold 3 basses on here and bought 2 since August, because I've been realistic in prices I've wanted for what I've sold. Also as a buyer, if you have wad in pocket you can sit back and wait until what you are after pops up.
I also think that before sites like this popped up, you were hard pushed to get your mits on exotic stuff unless you bought new or paid silly dealer 2nd hand prices.
There always seems to be a healthy supply of most basses on here at any one time, so a buyer can barter between the seller to get the best deal.
The big hit is when you buy a new Sei for example at 2000 plus and then try to sell, you will always suffer a huge loss when selling on from something you bought new, the same with cars, its just the way it is.
If something pops up that I want, I always manage to find the dosh from somewhere !

[quote name='bassbloke' post='95400' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:17 PM']I think that the current financial climate, proximity to Christmas, increased fuel prices and he fact that the market is full of kit is resulting in very low prices.[/quote]

That sums it up just about right. Plus of course, there is so much great gear around it actually makes it possible to be a bit choosy..

Surely its because the £ is so strong against the US dollar at the moment. Since all things guitar related have always been lower over there historically, this only serves to reduce prices further. So a secondhand bass must be reduced in price to remain in line with the lower import price of a new bass.

[quote name='tauzero' post='95583' date='Nov 28 2007, 12:50 PM']I'm interested all right - I'd like to take them all home and be their friend, but unfortunately when someone wants a four-figure sum for a bass, the decimal point is missing and as yet no-one has been tempted by my counter-offer of 50p and an almost untouched packet of fruit gums. Hmmm, wonder if anyone would be tempted by one of my motorbikes...[/quote]

If you have a spare Z1000 in orange we could come to some agreement :)

Its a difficult time esp round my way,if it isnt fuel or the interest rate increase,then its property.
Example being Kingston upon Hull,our shop in the town is a grand+ down week upon week,and the bosses are going nuts,then it was pointed out 40% of the city was underwater a few months ago and %20 are STILL in a caravan park of some description.

Im thinking of getting rid of a few instruments in the new year,maybe sooner? What do you think?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='96003' date='Nov 29 2007, 10:18 AM']I agree - unless you've got something that the collectors will be all over whatever time of year, I think you'll have a better chance of getting a good price in the spring.[/quote]
But that's when I'll be selling the bikes... must rationalise down from 14 to some slightly more manageable number. So how will people be able to afford basses when they're buying my bikes, eh?

[size=1]Triumph Trident 900
Triumph Trident 900 with Sprint fairing and oil leak
Triumph Daytona 900
Triumph T595 Daytona
Triumph Tiger 900

Triumph T140V Bonneville
Triumph T150V Trident
Triumph T20 Tiger Cub
Triumph T15 Terrier
Triumph Tigress

Suzuki GS500

Honda CB250N
Honda CB400T
Honda VF750SC[/size]

[quote name='tauzero' post='96187' date='Nov 29 2007, 03:53 PM']But that's when I'll be selling the bikes... must rationalise down from 14 to some slightly more manageable number. So how will people be able to afford basses when they're buying my bikes, eh?

[size=1]Triumph Trident 900
Triumph Trident 900 with Sprint fairing and oil leak
Triumph Daytona 900
Triumph T595 Daytona
Triumph Tiger 900

Triumph T140V Bonneville
Triumph T150V Trident
Triumph T20 Tiger Cub
Triumph T15 Terrier
Triumph Tigress

Suzuki GS500

Honda CB250N
Honda CB400T
Honda VF750SC[/size][/quote]

I know the same can be said for basses, but why do you need so many bikes?
At least i can keep all my guitars/basses in a cupboard upstairs!

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='96189' date='Nov 29 2007, 04:01 PM']I know the same can be said for basses, but why do you need so many bikes?
At least i can keep all my guitars/basses in a cupboard upstairs![/quote]
Well, I've just sort of accumulated them...

None of them are currently on the road - mainly because for the last two years I've been living with the girlfriend while sorting out my divorce, and they're at my house (where my future-ex-wife is) and I've avoided going over there to work on them. Trivial stuff for some of them (sorting out a horn on the Tiger, mirror for the Daytona 900), less trivial for others (like complete assembly being needed for four of the older ones).

As for oil leaks, the older ones don't have any oil in them... :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='96192' date='Nov 29 2007, 04:07 PM']Coincidence, I've got 14 basses.

Sold my R1200GS this year and gave up after 37 yrs of biking.

Peter[/quote]
Thought you had a big bass clearout recently Peter? Or has the GAS come back even stronger this time?

I sort of thought about having another clearout sale, but didn't actually get around to it.

I will try to sell my Les Evans, Zoot Custom fretless 5, Bass collection SB320 and Bongo 5 H/S next year I promise :)

The pile of cases and gigbags in my spare room is ever so impressive. Not on the ceiling yet though.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='96375' date='Nov 29 2007, 09:59 PM']I sort of thought about having another clearout sale, but didn't actually get around to it.

I will try to sell my Les Evans, Zoot Custom fretless 5, Bass collection SB320 and Bongo 5 H/S next year I promise :)

The pile of cases and gigbags in my spare room is ever so impressive. Not on the ceiling yet though.

Peter[/quote]
No need to rush... you'll only regret selling them in the end, I always do :huh: