Why become a member? ×

Shuker Courses

Tait

I've just emailed Jon Shuker about [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/course.htm"]these[/url] courses that he runs. its the first time I've ever had anything to do with him, but I've heard great things about him.

Have any of you ever been on one of these courses?

What are they like? I realise that you make your own bass (or guitar) but I don't know anything else about them.

I've asked him about them in my email, of course, but I just thought I'd check out your opinions on here.

EDIT: sorry, forgot to add that I'm 15, so if anyone knows whether or not I'm even allowed to do it, please let me know

Edited by lwtait

I believe, if my memory serves me correctly, Johngh on this forum was planning to do the course.He maybe able to help.

Jon offers the course to build an instrument from scratch, in which he helps in the process from start to finish, but it really is your hardwork that goes into making the instrument 'happen'.

I can imagine the sense of achievement afterward is very satsifying!

I'd say go for it! Really haven't got a bad word to say about Jon.

I did the course a couple of years ago and I can thoroughly recommend it. That's me on John's page with the jazz bass and clerks T-shirt.

The course is really rewarding and you come back with a really good quality instrument. That went for all four of us on the course...

The guy in the picture above me was younger than 15 but his Dad did the course as well. Best to ask John.

John is an excellent teacher. He has just the right balance between letting the student do almost all of the work but helping where necessary. Some people might think the course is quite expensive at £600 odd but considering the level of tuition and quality of materials and instrument produced I think it was bloody good value. You of course get to take the bass home with you.

I would like to do the second course but it may have to wait until my 9 week old daughter is a bit older...

Jon