Why become a member? ×

Can of worms

lee4

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='97770' date='Dec 2 2007, 08:22 PM']It's a good job we don't all think like you.

Jaco would never have torn the frets from his jazz bass, Larry graham might never have put thumb to string, John Entwistle would have left his treble control set flat etc.

Most people probably don't, that's personal taste, but an awful lot of people do, there wouldn't be this sort of thing going on otherwise [url="http://www.unpronounceable.com/solobassnight/"]<a href="http://www.unpronounceable.com/solobassnight/" target="_blank">http://www.unpronounceable.com/solobassnight/[/url]</a>

As for embarrasing and uncool, how can being a talented musician be embarrasing and uncool, I'd rather listen to someone talented trying something different, than a mediocre bass player playing something that's been done by thousands of other people thousands of times, now that is boring.

Just my opinion of course.[/quote]

Ox,Jaco,Graham are seminal.......I'm sure Jean,Jeff, Dave are all virtuosos in their own right....but come on!? :)

Edited by nick

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='97770' date='Dec 2 2007, 08:22 PM']Most people probably don't, that's personal taste, but an awful lot of people do, there wouldn't be this sort of thing going on otherwise [url="http://www.unpronounceable.com/solobassnight/"]http://www.unpronounceable.com/solobassnight/[/url][/quote]
Not exactly Madison Square Garden is it. Yeah its going on in very small numbers but there is a limit to how many ERB players will go to see other ERB players.

I don't really know why people bother posting threads like this, it's pointless, you just get the same stupid small minded people saying the same things.

Like the thread the other week about ERB's, what was the point in that in the end ?.

It's like I've said before, it's the punk rock ethos, they openly bragged about the fact that they couldn't play their instruments.

People on this forum when presented with something outside of the realm of 4 strings and 'standard' playing, always start behaving the same way, they have to dismiss it as circus tricks, or something that has to be ridiculed, instead of just accepting it for what it is....ie. other players expressing their desire to make music the way that they choose, be that soloing, tapping, slapping etc, on whatever instrument they desire, with however many strings.

It is like bassbloke says "I can't therefore I dismiss'.

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='97838' date='Dec 2 2007, 10:40 PM']So if I don't agree with you I'm small minded?

I think that says it all really... :)[/quote]

No, you are not small minded by not agreeing with me, everyone has the right to their opinion, and to listen to what they want, do a search on my posting on this site and you'll not find that I've said anything to the contrary.

The things that have been said on here about solo bass are small minded, solo bass exists as an art form, like it or loathe it, it's not going to go away, there are more people doing it every year, maybe not enough to fill Madison square garden, but they probably get more people watching them than you do.

If you don't like it then fair enough, but to ridicule it, and pick only on small points is stupid.

So Dave Grossman is going to play Bach sonata in G minor, what's wrong with that, you don't want to hear it then fair enough, stay home and listen to Dr feelgood, but don't make fun of the bloke, he wants to play it, and there will be people there to watch him and appreciate what he's doing.

Making fun of it just makes you look stupid, LOL indeed, I'm just laughing at you.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='97849' date='Dec 2 2007, 10:58 PM']So Dave Grossman is going to play Bach sonata in G minor, what's wrong with that, you don't want to hear it then fair enough, stay home and listen to Dr feelgood, but don't make fun of the bloke, he wants to play it, and there will be people there to watch him and appreciate what he's doing.

Making fun of it just makes you look stupid, LOL indeed, I'm just laughing at you.[/quote]

Nothings wrong with playing Bach, I just stated that I'd rather listen to something else.

If you perceive this as 'making fun of the bloke ' then that's up to you...

But it seems a bit over sensitive to me :huh:

And as to making me look stupid - well that's also up to you...

Laughing at me - why? Did I say something funny? :huh: :) :huh: :huh:

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='97825' date='Dec 2 2007, 10:05 PM']I don't really know why people bother posting threads like this, it's pointless, you just get the same stupid small minded people saying the same things.

Like the thread the other week about ERB's, what was the point in that in the end ?.

It's like I've said before, it's the punk rock ethos, they openly bragged about the fact that they couldn't play their instruments.

People on this forum when presented with something outside of the realm of 4 strings and 'standard' playing, always start behaving the same way, they have to dismiss it as circus tricks, or something that has to be ridiculed, instead of just accepting it for what it is....ie. other players expressing their desire to make music the way that they choose, be that soloing, tapping, slapping etc, on whatever instrument they desire, with however many strings.

It is like bassbloke says "I can't therefore I dismiss'.[/quote]

Ed Straker says:

"Colonel Foster and I were only saying the other day, let's just enjoy making...music and not get all so so so so serious. If you like the sound an individual or bass player in a group makes that's great and the wonderful thing about music be it from music from the time of the Crusades to Jean Michel Jarre (coool bass lines in Oxygene! We play it regularly on the way to Moonbase to see the girls) and everything in between (especially Led Zeppelin with Mr Jones)."

Caption: Lieutenant Ellis - "Mr Alien do you like Stanley Clarke?"

Edited by Bassman7

The least attractive thing to me about bass, bassists and bass forums (this one included to a certain extent, but not this one specifically) is the insecurities of the players across all genre and technique lines. Back-to-basics bassists and punk ethos bassists are always making jabs towards the techy ERB players. ERB players are always sniping at the simple play of the basic-types. ERBs and basic-types together are always taking cheap shots at guitar players (even asterisking the word or coming up with witless substitutes). We're all on the same team, guys.

Personally, I do get tired of the number of times that Jaco and Wooten and Claypool and Sheehan and Miller and King are bought up on this site (and the bass areas generally) as a stick with which to beat other players, or as a yardstick of personal progression. I also get tired of the root note reactionaries, or team Jamerson and the groove-is-all,-but-only-the-kind-of-groove-I-condone gang responding with the argument that fast tapping multi string polyrhythm stuff is a betrayal of true 'bassiness'.

'The bass is a young instrument and people should still be pushing the boundaries of what it can do' is a very valid and sensible position.

'ERB nights only really draw a crowd of other ERB players' is also truer than most of the ERB gang would like to admit. As PC as I would like to keep this post, I know that every one of my non-bass playing friends would be bored off their chairs by a clever slap interpretation of Norwegian Wood.

Why does this continue to cause such friction? I like simple bass lines. I play simple bass lines. I listen to simple bass lines. This doesn't mean I should begrudge the eight-string virtuosos. There are a lot of cool cats on this forum who play things I never could. The fact that I wouldn't want to play those pieces doesn't detract from the awesomeness of their skills.

We're on the same team, guys!

It depends on what is your perception or philosophy of what is musical.

I could argue for the essential minimalism of punk being the pinnacle style for bass but a jazz afficionado claiming wise and latent musical nuance is the key to bassy nirvana is never going to agree.

If someone can draw out beauty and expression from a piece of music then I think it's worth having. However, I can't help but think some peoples' connection with their instrument is blinding their judgment.

If someone can draw out beauty and expression from a piece of music then I think it's worth having. However, I can't help but think some peoples' connection with their instrument is blinding their judgment.
[/quote]

Ed Straker says:

"Foster, the man is right, the bass guitar is a wonderfully creative instrument but never get too close to that marriage of wood, metal and plastic that it clouds your judgement or perspective about one of he greatest gifts we have on earth...music!"

Edited by Bassman7

This problem is about YouTube's search engine. You put in 'bass', what do you know, you get 'bass'. If a video has bass in the title, it is going to be w**ky stuff like Wooten, Manring etc. Most great music is not defined anywhere by its bass part and this is more the case on YouTube and the net than anywhere!

Basschat is probably a better source for finding out about groove players than YouTube could ever be! Its just that you can't actually [i]hear[/i] them here.

Edited by bilbo230763

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='97982' date='Dec 3 2007, 10:23 AM']Most great music is not defined anywhere by its bass part...[/quote]

Interesting point...

The thing about solo bass (IMHO of course!) is that it's just less interesting than a Band...

To me one of the great things about music is the synergy and interaction between players.

Shadows & Light - Joni Mitchell, Jaco, Pat Metheny etc. is a great example of this.

Something that's completely absent in a solo performance, which just seems a little bit sterile.

This solo stuff seems more about technique over musical excitement and gut level feeling.

Just a thought:- do people ever get up and dance at an ERB recital?

Let's not forget the ever so PC BassChat caveat; one, two, three, after me:-

Everybody should be able to play and listen to whatever they like, and it's all good ;-)

Remember, there are no winners and losers, it's the fun of taking part that counts!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='98010' date='Dec 3 2007, 11:26 AM']It's not just ERBs you're talking about though, it's technical w*nkery on any instrument. There are loads more idiots playing stuff too fast to hear on guitars than there are on 4 strings, or ERBs!![/quote]

I just typed in "fastest guitarist" on youtube :)

EDIT: but unfortunately the video doesn't seem to be coming up... so go and search for it yourselves if you want to see a massive selection of videos which far exceed the w***ery of youtube's ERBs...

Edited by queenofthedepths

[quote name='cheddatom' post='98010' date='Dec 3 2007, 11:26 AM']It's not just ERBs you're talking about though, it's technical w*nkery on any instrument. There are loads more idiots playing stuff too fast to hear on guitars than there are on 4 strings, or ERBs!![/quote]

You got that right!!! Shredding on guitars is dreadful! Thinking about it I reckon it reminds me too much of classical music, which I don't really get.

A tutor was chatting the other day and told me that he sees a steady stream of young teenage boys, who say 'teach me to shred' - and that's it...

They couldn't care less about anything but impressing their friends with the speed of their playing... nothing about theory, composition, anything.

What's the old adage? Oh yeah, '3 chords and the truth' - that's the antithesis of 'tecnique over content' I guess :)

Hey, lighten up guys!
Whether it's Rhino Edwards in Status Quo, Victor Wooten or the guy who played on the Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep, Cheep session; it's all bass playing and I'm happy that as many bass players as possible are making a living at playing this instrument, at whatever level they can and in whatever genre they want.