Why become a member? ×

What would you like us to do?

Villex_Europe

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='96851' date='Nov 30 2007, 05:52 PM']I've lusted after a sliding pickup arrangement for ages. For standard pickup designs it usually requires a whacking great trench to be taken out of the middle of the bass to let the pickup move. Unless someone can build a very flat profile (ie shallow) pickup, the only other way is to put a pickup on both sides of the string which is what happened with the Ovation etc. referred to earlier.

I wonder if it could be achieved with an optical pickup though?[/quote]

Sliding Pickup? No problem.
[url="http://www.westone.info/railbass.html"]Westone Rail[/url]
Sliding pickup in a good looking bass? er...

[quote name='Villex_Europe' post='96925' date='Nov 30 2007, 07:46 PM']Standard pickups? Mmm... How would one go about all the different wood finishes then?

Tigran[/quote]

Get the customer/luthier to supply the wood they want to use,Wal have had that option/idea when it comes to tops and veneers

[quote name='SJA' post='96965' date='Nov 30 2007, 08:40 PM']Alembic made a bass for Jack Casady with 2 sliding pickups back in the 70's, but it looked horrible.

putting a cover like one big pickup over them would improve the looks.[/quote]

Yeah I've seen that, I really liked it! :) Westone Rail requires the whole bass to be designed around the sliding pickup idea which doesn't always arrive at the most ergonomic solution. Mr Spalt also tried a more literal sliding pickup on a prototype bass first, but then opted for the radial option - it still takes a hunk out of the bass though.

MB1. :)

Not enough room between the neck and pickup for my liking,that pickups much too close to the end of the neck!. Theres a right place for leo too, and i dont think its here?.........Too many switches.........not enough time!.Dont care for the body shape and lower batwing!Awful dot markers,circular tailpiece?,colours a bit grim.......... Short of that it seems alright! :huh:

Built-in distortion/overdrive. Already been done on a few but if there was a nice onboard distortion with a couple of different sounds, and maybe with the low-end filtered out and clean (or lows coming from another pickup), that'd be ace.

Also, I think a flanger type comb-filter would be nice. So you'd have a knob for controlling the delay between signals, then you could choose which part of the sweep you wanted it on a leave it there. Loads of tonal options there. Also you could play with hammer-ons and make time-synched flanger sounds by moving the knob! It's a winner.

[quote name='kneal6' post='99644' date='Dec 5 2007, 03:15 PM']Built-in distortion/overdrive. Already been done on a few but if there was a nice onboard distortion with a couple of different sounds, and maybe with the low-end filtered out and clean (or lows coming from another pickup), that'd be ace.

Also, I think a flanger type comb-filter would be nice. So you'd have a knob for controlling the delay between signals, then you could choose which part of the sweep you wanted it on a leave it there. Loads of tonal options there. Also you could play with hammer-ons and make time-synched flanger sounds by moving the knob! It's a winner.[/quote]

Very interesting point on distortion! We can produce one very easily (a passive one for onboard installation), and we discussed this a while ago internally. We came to a conclusion that most players wouldn't like to put one in their guitar/bass! So I am really anxious to know whether more people would be inerested.

Will have to come back to you on a flanger type comb-filter - are there any active ones I could read on?

Tigran