Why become a member? ×

What would you like us to do?

Villex_Europe

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tigran, I run Villex Europe. I've posted a couple of special offers here before. Ped has been promising me my own forum for a while... but things take time and I have something interesting to discuss, so with Ped's permission I am posting in the general forum.

I would like to start a thread which is a bit unusual, yet I hope is going to be interesting.

I want to know what you all want.

Here we are, [url="http://eu.villex.com"]Villex, [/url], a company making pickups and boosters. We think day and night how to please our customers and come up with wonderful technologies. We do get feedback occasionally, but it's around what's already there. Would be very nice to get some feedback regarding what [b][i]could be[/i][/b] there.

So, let your fantasy run wild. The only 'limitation' is there is no battery. Doesn't necessarily mean we can't do what the battery is there for without one though.

An example: we are about to release a product which is all passive and represents a combination of pickups and a 3 band passive EQ, with output about 3 times the volume of a P pickup.

Please keep it focused!

Tigran

[quote name='Villex_Europe' post='96440' date='Nov 29 2007, 11:39 PM']An example: we are about to release a product which is all passive and represents a combination of pickups and a 3 band passive EQ, with output about 3 times the volume of a P pickup.[/quote]

I'm intrigued. How does a passive EQ work, or is it too early to ask about the product?

[quote name='Machines' post='96582' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:41 AM']Passive EQ = tone control on any passive bass. It in theory can only cut not boost. However Villex appear to be doing very clever things :).[/quote]

The present Villex system includes a passive mid control, which works through modifying characteristics of a feedback coil built into pickups. That's not how the new system will work though...

Imagination run wild you say... now youve done it :)

Ok heres one ive been pondering over myself recently and could have been done but i havnt seen it yet. How about a pickup that was BOTH a P and J style pickup and is possible to switch between the two?

I kind of have an idea how to put this one into action too.

Imagine this is the pickup configuration:

[][] Each square is the same size as a single PUP of P size proportions and you simply turn on the pickups you wish to
[][] use. People talk about versatility... this would definately do that!

Feasable?

[quote name='Machines' post='96582' date='Nov 30 2007, 11:41 AM']Passive EQ = tone control on any passive bass. It in theory can only cut not boost. However Villex appear to be doing very clever things :huh:.[/quote]
The Baxandall tone control system is passive but gives cut and boost, in a way - but to obey whichever of Newton's laws says you can't increase the total energy in a closed system, the signal coming out is reduced in amplitude compared to the signal coming in (-20dB) so it needs either a big signal coming in or an amplifier at the back-end.

A passive system with equivalent EQ to the original that could drop in in place of an active system could be handy. Is there much associated circuitry? If not, it might make room in the control cavity for a wireless transmitter... :)

[quote name='charic' post='96600' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:16 PM']Imagination run wild you say... now youve done it :)

Ok heres one ive been pondering over myself recently and could have been done but i havnt seen it yet. How about a pickup that was BOTH a P and J style pickup and is possible to switch between the two?

I kind of have an idea how to put this one into action too.

Imagine this is the pickup configuration:

[][] Each square is the same size as a single PUP of P size proportions and you simply turn on the pickups you wish to
[][] use. People talk about versatility... this would definately do that!

Feasable?[/quote]

If I understand you correctly, this would be 4 indivdual coils, and you could switch them to have either 2 linear J style humbuckers, or 1 P pickup (either left or right handed)?

The thing is, Villex pickups sound very similar regardless of shape, and tonal changes are controlled by a mid control which comes with all the Villex pickups rather than switching coils. And, for extra versatility, you can add PRTB Villex booster.

To illustrate this, I am giving you links to sound samples with Villex J and Villex P.

Here's the jazz bass Villex sample

[url="http://www.villex.com/downloads/jazzbass.mp3"]http://www.villex.com/downloads/jazzbass.mp3[/url]

Here's the Villex precision bass sample

[url="http://www.villex.com/downloads/villex.mp3"]http://www.villex.com/downloads/villex.mp3[/url]

I think they sound quite similar.

Sorry this sounds like a sales pitch - what I am trying to do is take your suggestion, examine the benefits and then see whether the benefits can be provided by the technology that's already there. If you can convince me that the solution you are suggesting gives something the existing technology can't give (and Villex are quite different to conventional pickups), we will happily look into the suggestion!

[quote name='metaltime' post='96614' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:39 PM']what about a pickup that runs from the end of the neck to the bridge that doubled up as a ramp with a control to select where abouts on it you want it to pick up. that would be cool[/quote]

I have a feeling someone already has done that. I'll send you a link when and if I can find it.

Tigran

I'd like to see an MM/J system developed where the output is the same, regardless of whether 1, 2 or 3 coils are selected. This is the major drawback of all the HS stingrays I've tried because it means I'd have to adjust the gain on the amp every time the pickup settings are changed.

+1 on the sustainer :) Very cool for fretless, I can set up a mild feedback effect on my Pentabuzz if the amp is loud enough and that sustains and swells wonderfully.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='96619' date='Nov 30 2007, 12:43 PM']I'd like to see an MM/J system developed where the output is the same, regardless of whether 1, 2 or 3 coils are selected. This is the major drawback of all the HS stingrays I've tried because it means I'd have to adjust the gain on the amp every time the pickup settings are changed.

+1 on the sustainer :) Very cool for fretless, I can set up a mild feedback effect on my Pentabuzz if the amp is loud enough and that sustains and swells wonderfully.[/quote]

Hi Crazykiwi,

I am getting a lot of suggestions on various coil switching options. What I can't get my head around is why have coil switching at all when you can have a passive mid control which allows to achieve similar effect in a sweepable control with no hum?

Sustainer does sound like an interesting idea.

My old Listerud had MM style Bassculture neodynium pickups with flamed maple covers - having made a couple of customs I'd have loved to have used something similar instead of the usual black plastic SD's or Barts (ebony covers on one, maple on the other). Be pricey, I guess.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='96667' date='Nov 30 2007, 01:54 PM']I don't know of any sustainers aimed at bass, let alone passive ones.[/quote]
In the past, the lower strings have too much mass to be sustained for a long time by a magnetic system.

[quote name='Shaggy' post='96691' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:27 PM']My old Listerud had MM style Bassculture neodynium pickups with flamed maple covers - having made a couple of customs I'd have loved to have used something similar instead of the usual black plastic SD's or Barts (ebony covers on one, maple on the other). Be pricey, I guess.[/quote]

We can accept a custom order with pickup covers provided by the customer. Would be hard to make covers for all tastes and it's not exactly our core area, but if you want to make your own we will happily fill it with Villex magic. If you are interested we can discuss this further.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='96694' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:28 PM']In the past, the lower strings have too much mass to be sustained for a long time by a magnetic system.[/quote]

Surely, if they can be sustained for any amount of time, they can be sustained forever? To be honest, I don't know all the physics surrounding the sustainer, but I thought you generated some sort of electro magnetic field which caused the strings to vibrate, so maybe for bass you'd need a strong field?

re. sustainer, I remember a mention in Bass Player of Fernandes building a custom bass for Pete Steele of Type O negative with a sustainer in it.
the body was styled like a Rick.

the sliding pickup under a cover has been done, can't remember if it was Gibson, Ovation, but still sounds like a good one-

eg. if you had 2 J-coil pickups under the cover and could slide them to any position between the neck and bridge, and separation between the 2.- anything from Alembic to stingray.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='96707' date='Nov 30 2007, 02:45 PM']Surely, if they can be sustained for any amount of time, they can be sustained forever? To be honest, I don't know all the physics surrounding the sustainer, but I thought you generated some sort of electro magnetic field which caused the strings to vibrate, so maybe for bass you'd need a strong field?[/quote]
Well just have a go with an Ebow and see for yourself how successful it is with the lower strings. :)

I'm no expert, that just what I've heard being said about the idea. I did wonder whether a super strong magnetic field might actually have the opposite effect beyond a certain mass of string? Magnetic choking was an issue with the neck pickups on MM Sabre basses.

I've lusted after a sliding pickup arrangement for ages. For standard pickup designs it usually requires a whacking great trench to be taken out of the middle of the bass to let the pickup move. Unless someone can build a very flat profile (ie shallow) pickup, the only other way is to put a pickup on both sides of the string which is what happened with the Ovation etc. referred to earlier.

I wonder if it could be achieved with an optical pickup though?