Why become a member? ×

B&H Upright 3/4 FOR SALE.. SOLD

Adi

This item has sold. Thanks Beedster.

Hi Basschatters.
with reluctance I'm selling an upright that I bought around 10 months ago.

It's a Boosey and Hawkes made in Czechoslovakia around 1980 ish. Label inside. It's a laminate
umberish brown. New Spiro Reds. New Bridge. It came to life when those changes were made by my own fair hand.
Hope the sound file works.
I will include a proper bow, it's Brazilian wood I think. I will also include Ed Friedlands exellent DVD Tutor.
I can perhaps work in a shadow SH950 if your price is right. Unfortunately there is no bag.
There's hardly a mark on this bass and I guess it will keep it's value.
I'm in Margate. Cash pickup only.

PRICE £850

Also selling Markbass CMD 121P, SEE amp section. A special deal if you buy both since these two are an awsome combination
for gigging.
Reason for sale? I'm having a bespoke fretless made and I'm persuing the solo bass route via Public Transport. I'm green me.

Edited by Adi

Just wanted to add that the soundfile is an acoustic recording using a cheapish Behringer mike through a cheapish Xenyx mixer into Vegas Pro.
Very little EQ.
This bass really does project.

And as I mentioned before, together with the Markbass 121P you would want for nothing. Odd thing to say? Not really.
I spent much time reading posts and thinking of the alternatives, especially with the bass. It ticked the boxes and was worth the effort.
There is no cheap way to to get a good sound. You'll always need them setup and then there's the strings.
I've taken care of that saving the next owner much time and hair.
I'll be taking quite a hit for the luxury of satisfying my curiosity.
I'm flexible on price, especially for both items.

I've left it a bit late to learn this insturment. It gets to my back more than anything else.
On top of that a serious gigging situation fell through last year and in my despondance I've turned my attention to solo Bass Shoegaze loopy loop.

Adi

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Adi' post='876497' date='Jun 24 2010, 03:17 PM']Serious Interest So this item is on hold for now.
Watch this space[/quote]

This item is up for sale again.
Price drop to£800

Remember, no case and the bow has gone. Collect COD only. PUP still available.

The Markbass has been sold

Adi

[quote name='Adi' post='929270' date='Aug 19 2010, 12:48 AM']I checked the front F holes and it looks like ply to me, which is laminate, correct?

Is there a definitive thing to look for?

Adi[/quote]

You can also look along the edge of the top. It'll be pretty obvious if it's laminate as you will usually be able to see the layers.

Can you take a close up pic of that?

Nice looking bass. I like the fuller top bouts. :)

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='Mateybass' post='928266' date='Aug 18 2010, 12:54 AM']Are you absolutely sure it's a laminate? I've got one of these from around the same period and mine's definitely a solid top and back.[/quote]

I have one of these from the sixties and it's deffo fully carved, can you follow the grain on the top to the edge?

[quote name='Adi' post='934443' date='Aug 24 2010, 09:00 AM']Price Drop

Now £700 !!!

What's the verdict on the Carved/Laminate question?[/quote]

I can't see any lamination in that first pic but it could be the finish obscuring them. Still hard to tell from the pics.

I'd love check this bass out but just a bit too far from me.

[quote name='Adi' post='934646' date='Aug 24 2010, 12:13 PM']Hi TPJ
I'm going on the third pic, the cut of the f hole which is bare wood, see the ridges?

Adi[/quote]
Yep, but it also looks painted on the edge so again hard to tell.

Is there a luthier around you that you can take it to for a definite answer?

[quote name='TPJ' post='935867' date='Aug 25 2010, 12:47 PM']Yep, but it also looks painted on the edge so again hard to tell.

Is there a luthier around you that you can take it to for a definite answer?[/quote]

No transport mate.
I think someone will have to come round if they're interested.

Unless someone on this site with an experienced eye and knowledge can confirm either way.

Which is preferable though? Carved or Laminate. It seems to be an ongoing debate.

It's a quality instrument and ticks the boxes for someone buying for the first time.
Way better than any new bass at this price.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Adi' post='1022268' date='Nov 13 2010, 10:58 AM']By way of a bump this is still available and can't be beat for tone, condition and value.
No pickup, no bag, quality bow included. Easy action. Spiro Reds, new bridge.[/quote]

Hope to get over to you soon to play it Adi, waiting for as reply as to when's good for you?

Cheers

Chris

And a very happy buyer! Adi is a true gent, and the bass is not only a dream to play, but tonally very different to my current DB, almost in a kind of Jazz with rounds v Precision with flats way. So looking forwards to picking this up.

BTW, sorry Phil, looks like I beat you to it mate!

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='1027443' date='Nov 17 2010, 11:23 PM']...but tonally very different to my current DB, almost in a kind of Jazz with rounds v Precision with flats way.[/quote]

I secretly fear getting a better instrument and not being able to replicate the dark, round, thumpy tone that comes from my cheap bass. :)

[quote name='TPJ' post='1027879' date='Nov 18 2010, 01:14 PM']I secretly fear getting a better instrument and not being able to replicate the dark, round, thumpy tone that comes from my cheap bass. :)[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean mate. I guess I'm in the lucky position of having a choice. I'll probably make the big'n darker and thumpier sounding with some heavier strings just to add to the contrast. It's a great practice medium as well.

Hope all's well

C

[quote name='TPJ' post='1027879' date='Nov 18 2010, 01:14 PM']I secretly fear getting a better instrument and not being able to replicate the dark, round, thumpy tone that comes from my cheap bass. :)[/quote]

+1!!!

Some days I think about swapping the strings out for something livelier, then I worry that I might never get that sound back again. :)

I think I will probably buy a second bass rather than re-string this one.

Well I collected it this evening and have to say that this was one of those transactions that was a pleasure from start to finish. Adi's a great guy and a pleasure to deal with, the bass is stunning to play and hear, and it fits in my car without trouble.

Adi, many thanks mate, look forward to seeing you at our next gig, and let me know when you're gigging also

Chris