Why become a member? ×

1x12 0r 2x10 which is best?

notable9

Im in the running for a small light powerful cab, but only have up to 400 pounds to spend.

The Bergie and Epiphani stuff looks good and just within budget. Does anyone know which set up will give the best low end, and projection.

Thks to all

Note.

Edited by notable9

The same format from different makers can give very different results, I'm afraid. I've heard 2x10's that were thin and edgy, and some that were thick and muddy....sorry!

I'd suggest a secondhand Euphonic Audio CXL112 as the best all rounder I've used, and the more recent Wizzy's are cheaper and lighter (and 4 ohm?)

BB

I'm looking for some Markbass cabs to match my head, and was able to get my hands on a 2x10 and 1x12 to try. Oriented horizontally (standard) the 1x12 just pipped the 2x10 to the post with a tighter bottom end and a better all-round character.
However (echoing Alpha-Dave's statement), once the 2x10 was turned on its side, a whole different sound appeared - tighter, more focused - a true full-range, punchier sound. Needless to say, the 1x12 was a contender no more.
And i've been using 1x15s and 1x12s for 12 years now, and never EVER thought i'd look at a 2x10 [i]that[/i] way.... (:) :huh:)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='97074' date='Dec 1 2007, 02:15 AM']Two tens vertically aligned offer wider horizontal and narrower vertical dispersion than one twelve. BTW, since the obverse is also the case drivers should never be horizontally aligned.[/quote]

Interesting. Why do so many off the shelf cabs have them horizontally aligned? Coet cutting? I certainly favour my MB Trav 2*10 vertically, so this must be why..

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='97254' date='Dec 1 2007, 03:52 PM']They look better that way. :)[/quote]

Also, they're more stable (having a lower centre of gravity). This , in turn, avoids lawsuits from crushed players who pulled their stacks over!
Not all heads (although they're getting smaller of late) will stand atop a vertically-oriented 2x10 or 2x12, as the top surface area is too small.
Whilst plonking your head on a vibrating enclosure is hardly good for it from an acoustic feedback point of view, it's still where most of us deposit our amps for practicality's sake...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='98209' date='Dec 3 2007, 04:52 PM']Also, they're more stable (having a lower centre of gravity). This , in turn, avoids lawsuits from crushed players who pulled their stacks over!
Not all heads (although they're getting smaller of late) will stand atop a vertically-oriented 2x10 or 2x12, as the top surface area is too small.
Whilst plonking your head on a vibrating enclosure is hardly good for it from an acoustic feedback point of view, it's still where most of us deposit our amps for practicality's sake...[/quote]

Very good point - unless you have a small amp it would be difficult to balance it on top of the sideways speaker. It is only convention and ease that we place our amps on top of cabs. There is no reason or benefit other than that as far as I know. There is nothing to stop you putting your amp on a stand or flightcases etc if that is easier or more practical, eg if you use a small/low speaker or space does not allow. Any one else not put their amp on top of their cab?

Mark

A few months ago I went through the very same thought process and FWIW I'm now currently using an Epifani UL112 which I accquired from this very forum - it is excellent, lighweight, solid and only last night night I was complimented on the bottom end that i was getting from it.

I think it sounds great but I've not had the opportunity to directly compare it to a 2x10.

EDIT - previously I was using an EA iAmp 200 combo with a wizzy 112 - that too served me very well for a number of years :)

Edited by jwbassman