Why become a member? ×

2 bass bands

bass_ferret

Every now and then on Jools they have ensembles (I dont think band is a sufficient description) that tha 2 bass players. I am sure there was one in the last series that had 2 four string players. What is the point of that? If you are going to have 2 bass instruments then one should be an ERB that can play above and below a 4 string. Just throwing this out for discussion to atone for past misdemeanours.

Rothko had three bass players, as did Spinal Tap on Big Bottom - in fact I was in a band in the eighties with three bass players.

Cop Shoot Cop, Girls Against Boys, God Speed You Black Emporor, Treponem Pal, The Dirtbombs, The Vipers (the Manchester one) and Deity Guns all had two bass players.

Bands have two guitarists, even two drummers, with no problems so why not double up in the bass department. Twice the fun!

Saw some live Santana on TV recently, and, at least some of the time, he has two bassists (although one switches to guitar on some songs). The main bassist plays various Laklands in a more traditional manner, and the other guy plays a Modulus and does lots of high chording and so on.

[quote name='E_MaN' post='97318' date='Dec 1 2007, 06:11 PM']Toupe have two bass players. And they are more than a bit good.[/quote]

Speakin of which, we haven't seen Grant around here for ages!! (the six string pedulla player) Anyone know where he got to?

In reply to the OP, I guess theres no real reason why not.. to me it seems like fun.

James brown had Clyde Stubblefield & John Jabbo Starks playin 2 drum kits.
Orchestras usually have a few double bass players.
Some bands have 3 guitarists.

I think if the playing is tight and worked out methodically then it could sound really good.

Didn't New Order play with two bassists at times? Hooky... and someone to hold down the low end? :)

Hooky is also a member of the Freebass project: himself, Andy Rourke (The Smiths) and Mani (Stone Roses & Primal Scream). According to this [url="http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=142885"]interview[/url], they're looking for a vocalist - someone who can sing over three bassists.

Edited by bnt

kinda but not...
kasabian- was working at their gig a year or so ago, a lot of their stuff was on a backing track, (you could tell cos otherwise the drummer would have to be getting out of time with himself... not easily done!)
the main bass line was coming in over the PA yet the bass player was playing something way up the neck that bared no relation to what i was hearing.
he also played half the gig with a capo on his bass which was a bit strange.

[quote name='bnt' post='97467' date='Dec 1 2007, 11:50 PM']Didn't New Order play with two bassists at times? Hooky... and someone to hold down the low end? :)

Hooky is also a member of the Freebass project: himself, Andy Rourke (The Smiths) and Mani (Stone Roses & Primal Scream). According to this [url="http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=142885"]interview[/url], they're looking for a vocalist - someone who can sing over three bassists.[/quote]

Both his other solo efforts; Revenge & Monaco also featured two bassists. Second bass player handling all low end (which is sequenced in New Order stuff) while he does the high/melodic bits over the top. I also think he has problems, singing & playing at the same time :huh:

[quote name='dood' post='97457' date='Dec 1 2007, 11:21 PM']Speakin of which, we haven't seen Grant around here for ages!! (the six string pedulla player) Anyone know where he got to?

In reply to the OP, I guess theres no real reason why not.. to me it seems like fun.

James brown had Clyde Stubblefield & John Jabbo Starks playin 2 drum kits.
Orchestras usually have a few double bass players.
Some bands have 3 guitarists.

I think if the playing is tight and worked out methodically then it could sound really good.[/quote]

He's a bit busy at the moment from what I gather, with Toupe, Comedy, writing books and screenplays and god knows what else! Havn't seem them for a while either, should go and give support!!!

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='97478' date='Dec 2 2007, 01:04 AM']kinda but not...
kasabian- was working at their gig a year or so ago, a lot of their stuff was on a backing track, (you could tell cos otherwise the drummer would have to be getting out of time with himself... not easily done!)
the main bass line was coming in over the PA yet the bass player was playing something way up the neck that bared no relation to what i was hearing.
he also played half the gig with a capo on his bass which was a bit strange.[/quote]

Oh hello Mr. Fletcher, fancy seeing you here!

Anyway, back on topic, King Crimson in the 90s when they had their "Double Trio" had Tony Levin on Bass and also Trey Gunn on Warr Guitar (which is like a Chapman Stick). And since then they've alternated between the two of them.