Why become a member? ×

P Bass With A Pick

stingrayfan

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='98730' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:16 PM']Anyone mentioned Sid Vicious yet?, nah, no wonder.
Still, i remember he had a nice White P (with red stains all over it last time i looked) and stood holding a pick.
:-)[/quote]

Fair comment - he did look the part though!

Glen Matlock, on the other hand, could play a bit. Did he play on Anarchy in the UK? That's actually quite a cool bassline!

yeah, that's Matlock on "Anarchy". Steve Jones played the rest of the bass on Never mind the Blx.

actually, remembering that Tony Wilson show where they played it live, Matlock was playing a natural maple neck P (fingerstyle- very un-punk?) and got a pretty cool tone out of it.

Edited by SJA

[quote name='bremen' post='98750' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:41 PM']Is it true that Chris Spedding played the guitar? Great sounding record.[/quote]

don't think so- it's not exactly difficult stuff, and Steve Jones is credited as playing on some on Generation X and Siouxsie & the Banshees tracks- he's a basic, but tight rhythm guitarist.

[quote name='simon1964' post='98756' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:47 PM']Good shout - and as it happens, I'm off to see Foxton with ''From the Jam'' in Nottingham tonight![/quote]

Nice one. quite fancy seeing them myself but dont have the time.

Did you check out my Sig? we have stopped pushing the band now as we have other commitments but i really enjoyed playing the Jam bass lines.
Foxton had so much energy. hope he still has it. He didnt seem to with the Gift IMO.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='98766' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:57 PM']Nice one. quite fancy seeing them myself but dont have the time.

Did you check out my Sig? we have stopped pushing the band now as we have other commitments but i really enjoyed playing the Jam bass lines.
Foxton had so much energy. hope he still has it. He didnt seem to with the Gift IMO.[/quote]

Just checked out your sig - impressive stuff. Top bass lines, as you say.

I've just got back from ''From the Jam''. Foxton was first rate - and playing a P with a pick. Lots of energy and obviously enjoying himself, and it was great to hear those songs (and basslines) live after so many years. To be honest, I hardly missed Weller at all!

[quote name='simon1964' post='99300' date='Dec 4 2007, 11:47 PM']Just checked out your sig - impressive stuff. Top bass lines, as you say.

I've just got back from ''From the Jam''. Foxton was first rate - and playing a P with a pick. Lots of energy and obviously enjoying himself, and it was great to hear those songs (and basslines) live after so many years. To be honest, I hardly missed Weller at all![/quote]

Thanks. At that time i only had a Jazz. If we do any more gigs ill really look forward to using the P.

I think Weller has had his day. I went to see him at the RAH a couple of years ago and the place was quite empty compared to every other gig i have seen there. I bet from the Jam would fill it. From gigging the Wellah band we realised even 17 year olds are in to the old Jam songs and they dont really care who is playing them as long as they sound right. I have a DVD of Weller at the roundhouse from last year (i think, it was the Electric proms) and while they are all good musicians me and a few Jam fans felt it lacked any sort of punch. Not saying FTJ are any better but i always thought Foxton was a power house on stage and he still seems to have that. listening to their tracks on myspace i agree, Weller isnt really missed but listening to Weller i think Foxton is.

All IMHO of course.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='99358' date='Dec 5 2007, 08:59 AM']I think Weller has had his day.[/quote]

I agree. his solo output has got really dull now.
and that "wild blue yonder" song of his was a complete rip-off of America's "horse with no name"!

[quote name='SJA' post='99507' date='Dec 5 2007, 12:36 PM']that "wild blue yonder" song of his was a complete rip-off of America's "horse with no name"![/quote]

yeah. we played that at our last Wellah gig and had people asking why we did it as we were supposed to be playing only Weller/jam songs :)
Hardly anyone had even heard of it.

[quote name='Tee' post='99372' date='Dec 5 2007, 09:26 AM'][/quote]

Bless 'im. Unusual to see him with out a non white P bass (OK I know he had others!).

For a rip snorting, trouser flapping demo of picked P bass, check the start of Love Song by The Damned. Algy Ward just pounds those strings. Supposedly he used metal picks. One of my all time fav big arsed bass sounds :)

M.

Edited by Marky L

• 4 weeks later...

Thin Lizzie, Whistle Test, Don't believe a Word, slow version. Phil blinding the camera on purpose, Gary Moore soloing a 5 string Les Paul ...
Perfect.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9n981iQz3w&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9n981iQz3w...feature=related[/url]

Played with thumb and finger they can just sound like anything else, really:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRaZWeaggkk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRaZWeaggkk[/url]

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='112638' date='Jan 2 2008, 11:01 PM']Thin Lizzie, Whistle Test, Don't believe a Word, slow version. Phil blinding the camera on purpose :)
Perfect.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9n981iQz3w&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9n981iQz3w...feature=related[/url]

Played with thumb and finger they can just sound like anything else, really:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRaZWeaggkk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRaZWeaggkk[/url][/quote]

Good examples.

I just did two gigs with TI flats on my P. Im not sure if i like the tone or not yet but it felt very easy playing these strings with a pick compared to the more stiffer Nick's i normally use.

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='112703' date='Jan 3 2008, 07:51 AM']I can only play comfortably at any kind of speed with a pick.

I get all clumsy using just my pigs t!ts, erm, I mean fingers.

I am working on it though :wacko:[/quote]

same here.
when i practice sitting down at home im not to bad with just my fingers but at gigs, standing up, i try but always revert back to the pick for 95% of our songs.

some others-
Dante Gizzi on Gun's Gallus album eg. Steal your fire
Dave Ellefson on Megadeth's the world needs a hero eg. Warhorse/recipe for hate
Rick Savage on early Def Leppard (before he got replaced by a Fairlight sampler....) eg. Overture, Switch 625

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='112712' date='Jan 3 2008, 08:48 AM']same here.
when i practice sitting down at home im not to bad with just my fingers but at gigs, standing up, i try but always revert back to the pick for 95% of our songs.[/quote]

New Year Resolution (number 67) is to learn any new stuff with my fingers so that feels "right", rather than try to convert things that I have always played with a pick ..

And to alternate fingers, play lots of scales and practice between lessons :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='112712' date='Jan 3 2008, 08:48 AM']same here.
when i practice sitting down at home im not to bad with just my fingers but at gigs, standing up, i try but always revert back to the pick for 95% of our songs.[/quote]

Funnily enough I'm completely the opposite. Always revert to my fingers but I will persevere.