Why become a member? ×

P Bass With A Pick

stingrayfan

There's no getting away from it, for punky pop, you can't beat the sound of a P bass with a pick. I don't really like P basses or picks too much but having heard [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTEN359V8pI"]this[/url] by new band The Wombats, I'm becoming a fan.

Edited by stingrayfan

I saw the Wombats last year at Islington Bar academy, and the bassist used an Antigua P, IIRC maple board.

I went to see the support band, Blah blah blah, who have an excellent bassist (but he uses a Jazz), a bit like Norman Watt Roy.

yep, a precision, rounds and a pick is the "can't go wrong" rock bass sound.

some others- Derek Forbes with early Simple Minds eg. Theme for great cities, Tim Butler with the Psychedelic Furs eg. pretty in pink (original version) & mr Jones, Tony Butler with Big country eg. look away.

not forgetting The Ox on Live at leeds, of course- he probably was the first to get that sound.

[quote name='SJA' post='97436' date='Dec 1 2007, 10:14 PM']not forgetting The Ox on Live at leeds, of course- he probably was the first to get that sound.[/quote]

It's long been my ambition to get a sound somewhere between that and JJ Burnell's but without using a pick. Dream on, eh!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='97539' date='Dec 2 2007, 11:09 AM']The only thing I don't really like about a pick is that it robs you of a lot of control. Great for chugging 8ths, but not so good for anything that requires damping or ghosting. Or maybe it's the way I play...[/quote]

you mean controlling the note length with your plucking fingers?
it's a bit harder doing it with a pick, but possible, or you use your fretting hand to cut the note length, or damp the note with your palm at the bridge.

eg. playing a staccato rhythm with 16th notes.

I stayed away from using a pick for years, but finally gave in and put pick holders on my basses so i can quickly grab one when that tone's needed.

the limitation of a pick for me is I can't get artificial harmonics when using one (maybe it's easier with distortion like a guitarist does).

Edited by SJA

when I saw them I thought they were pretty good, but the bassist's "oo-waa-ooo" falsetto on every song got a bit repetitive.

yeah, they fit in a bit too conveniently with the likes of the Pigeon detectives, Holloways, Fratellis etc., but I suppose that's what you have to do to get on playlists and thus in the charts.

the flipside of that is when the scene changes, the record label might tire of them rather quickly....

i play a p bass with a pick - by default really as i like p basses and having switched from guitar, i'm still playing with a pick and probably won't stop as i don't see any need to.

the attached is P bass, half flats and a pick.

can't say i'm dead keen on the wombats, but i don't mind the pigeon detectives and the holloways. the fratellis write alright songs and their album isn't bad, but they were sh*te live.

[quote name='JD1' post='97738' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:29 PM']Lemonheads - Mrs Robinson - was that a P with a pick?[/quote]

sounded like it.

re. that track, i found it funny that the guy who produced it, Julian Standen, uses it as his main credit- but it's such a trashy, raw production- anyone could do it!

[url="http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/68183-jules-bass-mrs-robinson.html"]http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gea...s-robinson.html[/url]

"It was a Fender bass I am almost certain."

hmm, you'd have thought a world-famous producer would be able to tell whether it was a P or J just from the tone, if not remember it?

Pick and P player here as well.
Been trying to loose the pick for years but i just cant get on with fast runs and fingers.
Now i have a P though i really like the sound of the pick and guess ill stick with it.

Nice recording John. lots of energy.

Edited by dave_bass5