Why become a member? ×

Best Musical Quotes and Bass quotes

metalmaniac

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='98127' date='Dec 3 2007, 02:05 PM']Don't know who said it about bass

"Never play anything above the 5th fret"[/quote]

jill furmanovsky attempting to blag bass lessons from Aston Family Man Barrett (Bob Marley and the Wailers) got this advice !

"Adam pretended he could play and used words like 'gig' and talked about things like 'action' on the bass and we thought 'this is a guy who can play!' He was a liar. He actually couldn't play a note. Dave was just playing away on the acoustic and people just kept on coming up and saying 'there's something wrong' and we couldn't figure out what it was until suddenly we thought — It's Adam! Adam can't play. He had his own distinctive style from the start — at first it was called BLUFF, but then it began to work." - Bono on Mr. Clayton

"Actually '78 was a really exciting time for U2. We had just discovered F sharp minor. So we had the fourth chord " - Bono

Music is the only sensual pleasure without vice - Samuel Johnson

Music is the shorthand of emotion - Leo Tolstoy

Music is moonlight in the gloomy night of life - Jean Paul Richter

Music is an outburst of the soul - Frederick Delius

The English don't really like music, but they simply adore the noise it makes - Sir Thomas Beecham

Without music, life would be a mistake - Friedrich Nietzsche

Music that is born complex is not inherently better or worse than music that is born simple - Aaron Copland

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music - Aldous Huxley

What is best in music is not to be found in the notes - Gustav Mahler

The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons , strategems, and spoils; The motions of his spirit are dull as night, And his affections dark as Erebus: Let no such man be trusted. - William Shakespeare

An intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger - John Chesson

Learning music by reading about it is like making love by mail - Luciano Pavarotti

Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness and a gaiety and life to everything - Plato

Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them - Richard Strauss

Wagner did not like the saxophone. He said it sounds like the word Reckankreuzungsklankwerkzeuge - Nicolas Slonimsky

I haven't understood a bar of music in my life, but I've felt it - Igor Stravinski

Don't play the notes. Play the meaning of the notes - Pablo Casals

• 3 months later...

"Thus [i]bad Musick[/i] pleases [i]Rusticks [/i]who have never heard any better, and the [i]finest Ear[/i] is not offended with the [i]tuning [/i]of Instruments if it be not too tedious, where no [i]Harmony [/i]is expected; and yet much smaller [i]Dissonancy [/i]shall offend amidst the Performance, where [i]Harmony [/i]is expected" - Francis Hutcheson

Edited by queenofthedepths

Nigel: "These go to eleven"
Marty: "Why don't they just make the amps one louder and call that ten?"
Nigel: [i]after a pause[/i] "but these go to eleven"

And another classic...
Vim Fuego, Bad News: I could play "Stairway to Heaven" when I was twelve. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two. I think that says quite a lot.

Edited by tombboy