Why become a member? ×

Best Musical Quotes and Bass quotes

metalmaniac

Many **** quotes.

I like to sleep. There is no set time of day for sleep. You sleep when you’re tired, that’s all there is to it.

- Thelonious Monk

I’ll play it first and tell you what it is later.

- Miles Davis

It’s taken me all my life to learn what not to play.

- Dizzie Gillespie

Wrong is right.

- Thelonious Monk

The most important thing I look for in a musician is whether he knows how to listen

- Duke Ellington

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn’t want your daughter to associate with

- Duke Ellington

Don’t threaten me with love, baby; let’s just go walking in the rain

- Billie Holiday

At this time the fashion is to bring something to jazz that I reject. They speak of freedom. But one has no right, under pretext of freeing yourself, to be illogical and incoherent by getting rid of structure and simply piling a lot of notes one on top of the other. There’s no beat anymore. You can’t keep time with your foot. I believe that what is happening to jazz with people like Ornette Coleman, for instance, is bad. There’s a new idea that consists in destroying everything and find what’s shocking and unexpected; whereas jazz must first of all tell a story that anyone can understand

- Thelonious Monk

Finally Beiderbecke took out a silver cornet. He put it to his lips and blew a phrase. The sound came out like a girl saying ‘yes’

- Eddie Condon

What I came back to is that jazz is a music to be played and not to be intellectualised on

- Gerry Mulligan

A jazz musician is not a jazz musician when he or she is eating dinner or when he or she is with his parents or spouse or neighbors. He’s above all a human being . . . the true artform is being a human being

- Herbie Hancock

Forgive me if I don’t have the words. Maybe I can sing it and you’ll understand

- Ella Fitzgerald

My life is music, and in some vague, mysterious and subconscious way, I have always been driven by a taut inner spring which has propelled me to almost compulsively reach for perfection in music, often — in fact, mostly — at the expense of everything else in my life.

- Stan Getz

At a time when individualism is becoming an endangered species, jazz represents a celebration of the individual

- Ellis Marsalis

Life is not about finding our limitations, it’s about finding our infinity

- Herbie Hancock

Sometimes I wish I could walk up to my music for the first time, as if I had never heard it before. Being so inescapably a part of it, I’ll never know what the listener gets, what the listener feels, and thats too bad.

- John Coltrane

Sustained intensity equals ecstacy

- Wynton Marsalis

Overall, I think the main thing a musician would like to do is give a picture to the listener of the many wonderful things that he knows of and senses in the universe. . . That’s what I would like to do. I think that’s one of the greatest things you can do in life and we all try to do it in some way. The musician’s is through his music

- John Coltrane

We’re not like pop musicians who have to perform the same top ten tunes every night of a tour.

- Oscar Peterson

All a musician can do is to get closer to the sources of nature, and so feel that he is in communion with the natural laws.

- John Coltrane

I don’t need words — it’s all in the phrasing

- Louis Armstrong

Don’t bullshit… just play

- Wynton Marsalis

Jazz is music made by and for people who have chosen to feel good in spite of conditions

- Johnny Griffin

If someone has been escaping reality, I don’t expect him to dig my music.

- Charles Mingus

I’d like to play for you one of my compositions, my only composition

- Dizzie Gillespie

Master your instrument, master the music, and then forget all that bullshit and just play

- Charlie Parker

I cannot say what I think is right about music. I only know the rightness of it

- Keith Jarrett

[url="http://www.jameslomax.com/words/877/jazz-quotes"]http://www.jameslomax.com/words/877/jazz-quotes[/url]

Cream was a jazz band but nobody told Eric - Jack Bruce

When turning down the Beatles, Dick Rowe, Decca's A&R man, told Brian Epstein "Guitar groups are on the way out... You should really stick to selling records in Liverpool"

Edited by obbm

Somethin' Wooten said - about traveling, loosing your "way", going through "other ways" and looking for the main, and, OF COURSE, finding it! ( It was about developing your music and technique things). Problem is, he forgot to mention, that sometimes you won't "find" the way.

The old chestnut:

"It's no good practising until you can play it right; Practise until you can't play it wrong."

I heard it attributed to Yehudi Menuin (Yehudi who?), but I'm sure that it, or a version of it, has also been said by and/or attributed to many others as well.

Clive

Also:

"Practise, practise, practise, and when you'e sick of practising practise some more."

I heard it attributed to Dave Mallision ( a melodeon player) but again I'm sure it's been used by many people.

Clive

[quote name='metalmaniac' post='97622' date='Dec 2 2007, 01:56 PM']Wondered if anyone knew any good quotes about bass or music.

Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

Ash[/quote]

I'm only interested in heavy metal when it's me playing it, I suppose it's a bit like smelling your own farts.

J. Entwistle

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='98127' date='Dec 3 2007, 02:05 PM']Don't know who said it about bass

"Never play anything above the 5th fret"[/quote]

I think that was Aston 'family man' Barrett of the Wailers.

'It doesn't matter if it sounds particularly good on its own, as long as it sounds like a bass'

- Poni Pallidino

[quote name='Mikey D' post='98078' date='Dec 3 2007, 01:02 PM']Thelonious Monk!?[/quote]

"Talking about music is fishing about architecture". the original quote is by Frank Zappa

he also wrote: "Rock journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read".

What a hero!

Edited by lonestar

I have a special place for [b]Wagner[/b] in my musical quotes file:

I like Wagner's music better than anybody's. It is so loud that one can talk the whole time.
-- Oscar Wilde

Even the bad things are better than they used to be. Bad music, for instance, has gotten much briefer. Wagner's [i]Ring Cycle[/i] takes four days to perform while [i]Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm[/i] by the Crash Test Dummies lasts little more than three minutes.
-- P.J O'Rourke (All the Trouble in the World)

One cannot judge [i]Lohengrin[/i] from a first hearing, and I certainly do not intend to hear it a second time.
Mr. Wagner has beautiful moments but bad quarters of an hour.
-- Gioacchino Rossini (1792-1868)

Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end.
-- Igor Stravinsky

Learn to feel sorry for music because, although it is the international language, it has no swearwords. (If you don't count Wagner, which in my opinion is one long one and should be avoided at all costs.)
-- Billy Connolly

Richard Wagner was a musician who wrote music which is better than it sounds.
-- Mark Twain

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.

Mrs. Tarantino: Are you the police?
Elwood: No, ma'am. We're musicians.

Jake: Uh, Bob, about the money for tonight.
Bob: Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer.

Willie 'Too Big' Hall: I say we give the blues brothers one more chance
Donald 'Duck' Dunn: Why not? If the s**t fits, wear it.

Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Bluesmobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Bluesmobile for this?
Elwood: No, for a microphone.
Jake: A microphone?
[pause]
Jake: Okay I can see that. What the hell is this?

Elwood Blues: Duck, give me a mountain tempo in A minor.

Elwood Blues: Is there anything in particular you would like to hear this evening your highness?
Queen Mousette: Yes. Do something Caribbean.
Elwood Blues: Uh, ma'am, we're the Blues Brothers. We do blues, rhythm & blues, jazz, funk, soul. We can handle rock, pop, country, heavy metal, fusion, hip hop, rap, Motown, operetta, show tunes. In fact, we've even been called upon, on occasion, to do a polka! However Caribbean is a type of music, I regret to say, which has not been, is simply not, nor will ever be a part of this band's repertoire.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='98069' date='Dec 3 2007, 02:48 PM']'Writing about music is like dancing about architecture' - Elvis Costello paraphrasing someone else[/quote]

That would be Zappa.
"Talking about music is like fishing for architecture"

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='98344' date='Dec 3 2007, 07:18 PM']Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.

Mrs. Tarantino: Are you the police?
Elwood: No, ma'am. We're musicians.

Jake: Uh, Bob, about the money for tonight.
Bob: Oh, yeah, $200, and you boys drank $300 worth of beer.

Willie 'Too Big' Hall: I say we give the blues brothers one more chance
Donald 'Duck' Dunn: Why not? If the s**t fits, wear it.

Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Bluesmobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Bluesmobile for this?
Elwood: No, for a microphone.
Jake: A microphone?
[pause]
Jake: Okay I can see that. What the hell is this?

Elwood Blues: Duck, give me a mountain tempo in A minor.

[size=4]Elwood Blues: Is there anything in particular you would like to hear this evening your highness?
Queen Mousette: Yes. Do something Caribbean.
Elwood Blues: Uh, ma'am, we're the Blues Brothers. We do blues, rhythm & blues, jazz, funk, soul. We can handle rock, pop, country, heavy metal, fusion, hip hop, rap, Motown, operetta, show tunes. In fact, we've even been called upon, on occasion, to do a polka! However Caribbean is a type of music, I regret to say, which has not been, is simply not, nor will ever be a part of this band's repertoire.[/size][/quote]

I can't remember that part of the film!!!! Is it on a sequel or something?!?