Why become a member? ×

(just bought a FAL) - Has anyone tried PA amp for bass?

nick

Hello all,

Just bought a FAL Super 100 PA amp off Ebay - £7!
Couldn't resist bargain, especially as it's a valve amp.
Though, I'm not sure if it will sound any good - guess I'll find out...

Has anybody ever tried using a PA for bass with any success, & does anybody know anything about FAL?

Cheers

aaarrrggghhh - you got it!

I saw it, went for it, missed it

I love FAL stuff so if you find yourself not using it then I'll take it off your hands :huh:

My FAL gear:

Merlin 50 combo
C-40 T combo
PA150 head

I've been using the PA150 as a bass head for a while - sound sweet using a tube pre-amp (art tube mp / behringer mic200). The Merlin is the guitar combo I always use (in favour of a Marshall and other combo I have) even though the 12" driver is very near death.

Never had the joy of using the FAL valve stuff though :)

[quote name='nick' post='97708' date='Dec 2 2007, 06:22 PM']Has anybody ever tried using a PA for bass with any success, & does anybody know anything about FAL?[/quote]

Some people have had varying degrees of success with Simms-Watts PA amps.

FAL were made in Cornwall, 70's / 80's I think. I have an old FAL 50W 4-channel transistor PA amp somewhere. Never tried putting bass through it. It's not great, tbh.

Haha - amazing, I had a couple of FALs (Futuristic Aids Limited...I think) in the mid/late 70s. They were general purpose transistor amps. I think I had a couple of 50s - I didn't slave but mic'd one 15" cab and sent it through the second amp into a 15" reflex bin. I honestly can't remember what it sounded like (but the rig was huge). I actually sold my Marshall Bass 50 Head (1976 valve) to move to the FALs following a minor problem with the former!

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='colda' post='97938' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:14 AM']aaarrrggghhh - you got it!

I love FAL stuff so if you find yourself not using it then I'll take it off your hands :)[/quote]

Here's another!
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAL-super-100-PA-amplifier-100-watts_W0QQitemZ220179015739QQihZ012QQcategoryZ47094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAL-super-100-PA-amp...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='colda' post='97938' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:14 AM']aaarrrggghhh - you got it!

I love FAL stuff so if you find yourself not using it then I'll take it off your hands :huh:

My FAL gear:

Merlin 50 combo
C-40 T combo
PA150 head

I've been using the PA150 as a bass head for a while - sound sweet using a tube pre-amp (art tube mp / behringer mic200). The Merlin is the guitar combo I always use (in favour of a Marshall and other combo I have) even though the 12" driver is very near death.

Never had the joy of using the FAL valve stuff though :)[/quote]

I'm sure I saw another Super 100 at £0.99, but it was up in Newcastle (I think) - too far for a pickup for me.

Guitarist in our band has a lovely old valve FAL 2x12 combo too. So now we're matching! :huh:

Not much on the net about FAL. The only thing I know is that they were made in Leeds by Fusturistic Aids Ltd!

• 6 years later...
  • 8 years later...

Nearly all my bass amps have been PA amps, usually two channel solid state for bi-amping. I've only owned one dedicated bass amp in 45 years of gigging (and only used that for about 5-6 years). 

I've now stopped using any dedicated amps at all and go straight into the PA via a Line6 Helix.

Years (and years) ago, we used an enormous valve Carlsboro PA mixer amp as we were too poor to afford back line. Everything went through that amp, guitars bass vocals, into a pair of H&H 4x12 columns. No back line, we were so ahead of the curve 😂 I remember my Bass as sounding full and fat.