Why become a member? ×

Bands at Uni in London?

dr.funk

I am hopefully going to UCL next year and was wondering what gear you need to bring to gig at uni? The university does have practice rooms and I am going to try and enquire as to whether you can hire backline, but particularly for gigs what do you all rely on? Ovbiously by HA3500 and 2x2x10s aren't going to fit in my room. Do most small venues in the capital have a PA capable of handling the bass? I'm tempted by a hartke kickback combo but a DI box would be perfect if I could get away with it.

I would just be interested to hear what you guys take and do for gigs/practices.

Thanks
Chris

[quote name='dr.funk' post='98036' date='Dec 3 2007, 11:55 AM']I am hopefully going to UCL next year and was wondering what gear you need to bring to gig at uni? The university does have practice rooms and I am going to try and enquire as to whether you can hire backline, but particularly for gigs what do you all rely on? Ovbiously by HA3500 and 2x2x10s aren't going to fit in my room. Do most small venues in the capital have a PA capable of handling the bass? I'm tempted by a hartke kickback combo but a DI box would be perfect if I could get away with it.

I would just be interested to hear what you guys take and do for gigs/practices.

Thanks
Chris[/quote]

I believe there's rehearsal rooms in the student union. But I think it is more purpose built for the classical groups in the uni.

Most venues have PAs. The purpose built ones usually can cope with a DI into PA. Venues which are effectively pubs with a 150W PA obviously can't. A bit of backline would be advisable though... the monitoring in a lot of venues is poor (even in one or two in the better venues I've played). A few of the more established venues and promotors supply backline and sometimes kit.

I usually take just my EBS MicroBass II DI. But if I need to bring backline coz I know the monitoring is particularly bad, my Mark Bass LMII into my Epifani UL-110 cn be brought on the tube (tricky during rush hour though).

Some of my favourite venues include the Bull and Gate in Kentish Town (great PA, and awesome monitoring), The Comedy Pub in Piccadilly Circus (great intimate atmosphere, and great PA for its size) and The Watershed in Wimbledon (Great PA and a very pretty venue as opposed to some of the crapholes I've played).

What you studying at UCL btw?

Edited by s_u_y_*

Cheers s_u_y* that was very helpful. Monitoring was one of the reasons I thought about buying the kickback combo, LMII and small cabinet seems a better solution but more expensive. Ive heard good things about the Bull and Gate so thats definitely worth knowing about, thanks :) You have some lovely gear by the way, can I assume your not a student? Ive got an offer to study medicine which I am very pleased about :huh:

[quote name='dr.funk' post='98096' date='Dec 3 2007, 01:22 PM']Cheers s_u_y* that was very helpful. Monitoring was one of the reasons I thought about buying the kickback combo, LMII and small cabinet seems a better solution but more expensive. Ive heard good things about the Bull and Gate so thats definitely worth knowing about, thanks :) You have some lovely gear by the way, can I assume your not a student? Ive got an offer to study medicine which I am very pleased about :huh:[/quote]

Medicine... nice! I do Biomedical Sciences with Physiology at UCL. 'Tis my last year, so I won't be seeing you around I'm afraid. My nice equipment comes from the many hours work I pull off by working during the holidays. Paid well. :huh:

If you want some more advice, I'd be more than happy to give what I know.