Why become a member? ×

GK 1001RB vs Aguilar AG500sc vs Orange Terror

Kaiu

Hey everyone,

I've posted various replies to threads on these amps but I was wondering if anyone had experience of a more direct comparison.

I'm moving down to London in September and need a replacement for my Ampeg SVT 2 Pro and my Ampeg 8x10.

I'm looking for something that is lightweight, can handle itself against a drummer in a pub gig without PA support, value for money and good for rock!

Although I love Aguilar gear, and have tried the AG500sc, the Gallien Krueger just seems so much better value for money. I saw one go on here not so long ago for £300!!!

What are peoples experiences with these amps and has anyone compared any of them directly?

Thanks,

Ed

Orange - dirty warm rock tone, but can also do big clean warm motown thump. Think of traditional bass tones.

Aguilar - Clean and articulate.

GK1001 - Great loud amp, very bright IMO.

The Aguilar is a little more boutique and probably built with more expensive components, hence the cost.

The GK and Orange BT are very very good amps for the money.

I own and regularly gig a 1001RB-II, but haven't heard or played through either the Aggie or the Orange (yet).

Yes, the G-K can do bright tones if you want, but it's by no means a one-trick pony! There's serious amounts of midrange punch and bottom end in there too should you desire- IMO it's by far the most versatile amp I've gigged with.
What I will say is that it's well worth reading the manual (available online) before trying one out for the first time, in order to understand how to get the best out of it. IME, knowing how the Volume (gain), Contour, Boost and Master controls all interact is crucial to getting a good tone. Once you're clued up though, it's fantastic! :)
The 4-band active EQ is very flexible and covers a lot of ground- I personally find I don't need to use it that much though, as the basic sound is pretty much right on the money!

Hope this helps,

Et :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll have to try out the Orange Terror.

Doesn't look like it will stack up to the GK 1001 volume wise, but surely with the right cab it could handle a decent sized pub gig!?

Thanks for the replies!

Ed

I've owned both Terror Bass and GK 700RB II

I found the TB to be a very dark sounding amp which I found difficult to get a giggable sound from. the EQ is very limited. I'm a fan of simple controls so at first I liked the fact that this amp only had a couple of tone controls but I didn;t seem to be able to get anything useful from it.

The GK on the other hand is uter bliss as far as amps go - I'm on my third one due to GAS. I'll see something that I want to try so the GK gets sold only for its replacment to be sh*te so I end up buying another.

After I sold my TB I immediately bought another GK 700 and took it to a gig without touching anything. This amp allows you a great deal of control over your sound but its inherent sound is fantastic so just a tiny bit of tweeking is required to get you exactly the sound you want.

I've used a GK with the following cabs:

Trace 1153
Trace 1153H
Trace 1524
Trace 1528
Trace 1248H
Trace 1518
Schroeder 1212L
Ashdown 115ABM
Peavey 410TX
Behringer BA410

I couldn;t even begin to list all the basses I've used it with but there's as varied a selection as you're likely to use from a Warwick Thumb NT5 and Modulus Flea to cheap/free basses and onto my current Epiphone EB-3

IMO there isn;t anything better than the GK for giving such a fantastic, versatile, useable sound. Personally the 1001 is overkill as the 700 puts out 480w into 4 ohms. I'm using mine with an 8ohm cab so I'm getting about 300w and that's for all gigs including ones without PA support and its absolutely nowhere near its limit, in fact its just ticking over.

Edited by Delberthot

I'd suggest you have a look at the Hartke LH-500 as well!
Very warm, but not dark sounding amp with a minimalistic but powerful EQ.
I am sure it would sound great in a rock setting. I sure do love mine:)

Edited by gillento