Why become a member? ×

Trying to understand the lingo? Acronyms explained!

Johnebass

[quote name='grumble' post='421995' date='Feb 28 2009, 09:31 PM']My 2c worth
Be very annoyed if an IT tech tells you its a PEBKAC issue ! Subtle way of insulting the[u][b] (l)user.[/b][/u]
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

HTH[/quote]

(L)user! Classic :)

It's like the common description of our short-scale, highly strung bandmates, the Guitard players :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Here's one for the 'lingo';
Fretsprout or fret sprout; when the sharp edges of the frets extend beyond the fingerboard. The wood shrinks over time due to environmental conditions like heat and humidity, causing the metal fret ends to stick out. The metal frets need to be filed down.

There's loads more but I can't remember them now.

[quote name='grumble' post='421995' date='Feb 28 2009, 10:31 PM']My 2c worth
Be very annoyed if an IT tech tells you its a PEBKAC issue ! Subtle way of insulting the (l)user.
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

HTH[/quote]

The alternative is PICNIC - Problem in chair, not in computer.

And the "user" spelt with a silent "L" is a classic!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassmanady' post='265823' date='Aug 20 2008, 04:35 AM']After an argument with the wife..i sometimes say "TOTUS"=TOUCH OF THE UGLY STICK...of course she is beautiful IMO..and she hasn't a clue.WTFIM.....LOL[/quote]
So,...you like living dangerously mate..? If she finds out,.... "your gone"! :)
I like it though, and I'm gonna pinch (borrow)it....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Johnebass' post='98527' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:34 AM']I am a late fourties musician who has been a member here for a while but probably due to my age find it hard to understand the abreviations.

For instanace PM'd, presumably means private mail???? What the hell does BUMP mean, I really can't work that one out! Any other abreviations that someone can explain would be really helfull and would make an old man very happy instead of a happy man very old!!

Ta

John[/quote]
hi i am new to basschat could you show me what stuff i can do
from Henry Bellingham

[quote name='tjkennelly' post='633663' date='Oct 22 2009, 07:00 PM']Been wondering for a while now, what does feeler mean in the fs sections?[/quote]
The seller hasn't necessarily decided to sell/trade but is putting out a feeler to see the interest. Might not get bumped too often if they really aren't sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ali63

It is generally regarded as Polite Proper Protocol, to create a new thread in the introduce yourself section so that you can tell us all about yourself, and be welcomed by anyone who happens to pass through there.

MODS: I know thise thread is for understanding the lingo - but I thought a friendly pointer to a new member was polite. - this can be deleted later.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FTW has been around for years, and traditionally means "F.ck The World", but has recently been appropriated by internet kiddies to mean "For Teh Win" (sic).
It was very common in France and Germany in years gone by, along with a tattoo of 3 little dots in a triangle on the bearers hand, which stands for "FTW" or "F.ck The Cops" (translated literally as "Mort Au Vaches / Death To Cows). This would get you beaten up by guards in French prisons, but would also get you respect from other inmates. The tattoo is common all over Spain and Mexico as well, but there it means "Mi Vida Loca", but I digress...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have one to add ^^

HTH = hope this helps

Be careful with W/E and WE - W/E is generally accepted as meaning weekend, where WE usually means whatever! Doesn't always follow but still :)

Then there's also the 'picture' ones;

OTL : commonly used to symbolise failure. Doesn't mean anything specifically, but it looks like someone kneeling with their head down (the 'O' being the head, 'T' the arms and 'L' the legs). I believe that this originated in Korea.

\o/ : throwing your arms up in the air, usually used as an expression of joy or surprise

=3 : is a smiley face with a kitty mouth! Alternative versions include; :3 X3 and very occasionally =^_^=

I'm sure I have more but I'm struggling to think of any atm.

• ped unpinned this topic