Why become a member? ×

What Wireless ??

tonybassplayer

Hi

Just looking to start playing with a wireless system ( no sound engineer so want to listen from the front ) but need a little advice to avoid the pitfalls ( otherwise known as bargains !! )

I have a Yamaha TRB4 and the jack socket is a little temperamental in that the lead needs to be very firm ( currently use a monster cable ) so it needs to be a tight fit.

I also like the look of the type without the "pack" that clips on the strap.

Any advice as to what you would recommend and more importantly what you would stay away from would be gratefully accepted.

Regards

Tony

Spend the extra, get a Sennheiser EW172 G2 and a connector cable from [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78"]OBBM[/url] on this forum
There's a bargain one here £250 rather than £320
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SENNHEISER-EW172-G2-EW-172-G2-INSTRUMENT-SET-BNIB-MINT_W0QQitemZ250194403362QQihZ015QQcategoryZ29949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Ebay bargain EW172 G2[/url] eBay Item number: 250194403362

Sounds like a lot of dosh but this is one area where you get what you pay for.

Edited by OldGit

I used to have a Samson Airline 'bug' type, which was ok, but I think I'd go for a more expensive one if I bought another wireless.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='98974' date='Dec 4 2007, 04:57 PM']I have a Yamaha TRB4 and the jack socket is a little temperamental in that the lead needs to be very firm ( currently use a monster cable ) so it needs to be a tight fit.[/quote]

Monster cables have oversized jacks, and therefore it will have bent the internal contacts in the bass, which is what would be causing other cables to now have intermittent contact. No wireless that I know of has over-sized jacks, therefore you may have a problem. However its an easy fix in that you'll just have to re-bend the contacts in the jack socket (sorry, no idea how difficult this is on a Yamaha). You will have to do that if you're want to be sure of a good fit with any other cable after using the monster.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='100018' date='Dec 6 2007, 09:55 AM']I used to have a Samson Airline 'bug' type, which was ok, but I think I'd go for a more expensive one if I bought another wireless.[/quote]

Me too... Great idea but several problems with them (for me)
The worst aspect was the huge "thunk!" I got through my rig and PA when turning off the sender bug bit, say between sets. You could turn your rig off and unplug from the DI first but that doesn't fit how I use my gear.

[quote name='bassboy115' post='99222' date='Dec 4 2007, 09:34 PM']Iv got an AKG wireless bug...its great and ive never had a problem with it... If you want it to sit tight just put a little bit of tape over the antena and it stays where it is all night![/quote]

I have one and also have had no issue with it other than its only one freq.
Ive done big gis with it and the sound has been fine. of course there is a slight difference to using a cable but you adjust to it.
I tend to poke the small ariel under the G string bridge saddle. Seems to keep to in place.

Edited by dave_bass5