Why become a member? ×

Ashdown EVO-II RC 500 head / Ampeg SVT's

bassjamm

Hi guys,

I'm kind of maybe thinking about swapping my Thunderfunk out for something else.

I've never been an ashdown fan, in fact i'd purposefully avoid the things, but i tried out a bass through an EVO-II RC 500 head, powering an Ampeg 6x10...and i was quite simply...well impressed, it had plenty of ummmpphhhh about it!

Now, my question is what do you guys reckon to them? But also, how does there sound compare to the likes of Ampeg valve heads, like the SVT-3 pro etc.???

I'm predominatly playing funk and jazz, with function work mixed in there too...so how do you guys reckon they'll fair in that kind of setting?

Thanks
Jamie

Ooh, interested to hear comments on this one...

I've got an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II RC or whatever it's called, and love the sound from it. Through a Schroeder 410 it's the best bass tone that I've heard or used. Maybe not everyone's taste but for pop/rock IMHO you can't beat it. However, I have been toying with getting myself an SVT-3 PRO (just to try it, and I like the idea of the EQ section) but comments on TB have always said it's underpowered and the Ashdown's sound like Ampeg only better.

People say about reliability issues but the Ashdown's (why am I tempting fate) always been reliable for me.

Why have you purposefully avoided Ashdown until now ?

S

As far as i'm aware, the SVT-3 Pro uses Mosfet technology in the Power amp stage!

The Ashdown beast does sound wicked, but i've got a feeling that the Ampeg is going to suit me a bit better...not sure though!

Largo - How do you find your amp in a gigging situation?

Thanks
Jamie

Hi Jamie

In terms of gigging I find my amp and cab combination to be A1.
I play in a wedding and function 5-piece band with room sizes ranging from 80-500 people including marquees and the likes, and the amp is hardly pushed at all. Usually 1 'o clock on the pre and 10 ' o clock on the master, some valve drive added and that's it. We play everything from front pickup dubby bass to back pickup 70's disco funk and everything in between and it handles everything well.

What I like about the sound is the punch, you know what I mean, feeling the bass as well as hearing it :0) The cab really helps there too.

Haven't played Ampeg yet so can't compare but no complaints on the Ahdown tone.

*Comes to the defense of the SVT-3 lol* :ph34r:

I'll be honest I sold my Ashdown rig for an Ampeg rig, so I'm going to be slightly biased here. I went from an ABM 500 EVO II + ABM115 +ABM410 to an SVT-3 Pro + SVT15E + SVT410HLE, and personally I'd take the ampeg tone over the ashdown any day of the week. The growl! Argh, love it! :)

However, to be fair to Ashdown I never had any reliability issues, and I preferred the higher power rating on the Ashdown cabs. When it comes to the SVT-3 I don't think for a second it is underpowered, it's served me well at many gigs.

Anyhoo back on the topic of tone, I feel the ampeg suits me better, especially for rock/metally stuff. However, it has performed admirably in jazz settings. The two brand's cabs have a biiiiig affect on the tone (to my ears) so maybe that was the reason I didn't like Ashdown...hmm, do you have the option of trying both out?