Why become a member? ×

Should I kill him?

Tait

my bass teacher's just got this new stingray 5 in black, the model with the piezo. What he told me the other day made my jaw drop, I can't believe it. He planning on refinishing it (by hand, hes not even getting it done professionally) as follows:

1) Spray over black in red

2) Spray over red in blue

3) Spray over blue in white

4) Spray over white in [b]flourescent yellow[/b]

5) Attack with sander, bringing all of the different colours through in splodges

Now, do I kill him before he gets the chance?

*i just want to add, i don't really plan on killing him. i dont want the cops coming round.

Edited by lwtait

IIWY I'd just let him get on with it.... unless he does someting outrageously sutpid, he wont do it much damage. He may get bored of it and sell it to you for next to nowt... You can get it re finned....

However a certain Mr Clapton got two freaky Dutch acid heads to paint a nice Gibson LP, so it looked like a year 4 painting class had had it for a day.... That LP is now worth a small house in the country, and has it own signature model copying it to every detail.....

Strange world we live in....!

[quote name='Sibob' post='100474' date='Dec 6 2007, 07:48 PM']I do hope he's joking just to rub it in your face!

if he's not, just clench your teeth, and tell yourself its his money he's wasted :)
Si[/quote]

Yeah, but like, you're subsidising his proposed insanity by paying him your money in return for his teaching services.
Kill him. Now.

Tell the authorities that;

"BASSCHAT made me do it."

Really.

They'll believe you...

[quote name='The Burpster' post='100491' date='Dec 6 2007, 08:10 PM']However a certain Mr Clapton got two freaky Dutch acid heads to paint a nice Gibson LP, so it looked like a year 4 painting class had had it for a day.... That LP is now worth a small house in the country, and has it own signature model copying it to every detail.....

Strange world we live in....![/quote]

Do you mean the Fool SG? That was painted by dutch artists The Fool.

Let him. It's a new, production-line bass, finished in black - it's not like it's anything rare, old or unique. If he hates it/sells it, it would be a simple refin to get it back to how it was. Besides, it might look interesting - I've never heard of a custom finish done like that before, & it might work.

That said, if it was me, I'd get a cheapo body to try it out on first - if he's considering using an electric sander to remove the layers, odds are he'll make a bloody mess of it that's nothing like what he wants.

Jon.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='100497' date='Dec 6 2007, 08:22 PM']Its not as if he could make it any uglier with the stupid big pickguard on those things.[/quote]

+1. The SR4 is a beautiful instrument. How the hell it evolved into those hideous things God only knows. Let him butcher it. It can only be an improvement.

• 2 weeks later...