Why become a member? ×

One of my tuners rattles :0(

largo

This is driving me mad ...

When I play my bass acoustically one of my tuners, the E string rattles.
It seems to be the stalk if that makes sense, as if I hit the "elephant ear" I can hear it. Is there an easy way to fix this, or tighten it.
Or is it get a new one.

The bass is less than a year old and wisnae cheap.

S

Haven't got a clue and nothing written on them I'm afraid. The bass is a Sei Jazz with elephant style tuners.
Looks like there's a small allen key screw on the base of the stalk which may do something.

A hunch tells me they are Hipshot Ultralites and a quick check of the HS website, they definitely look exactly the same.

Edited by largo

I had a similar problem on a Fender copy a few years back.
The 'key' part of the machine was loose in the shaft, where it's slotted and pinned in. I took the tuner off, pulled the shaft, and clamped it in a vice to squeeze the shaft back into a tight fit.
Wicking a drop of superglue along the joint between the key and the shaft would probably work OK too.
The Allen screw holds the shaft into the body of the tuning machine - don't undo it while the string is tensioned, as it'll launch half the mechanism across the room!

Andy