Why become a member? ×

GT6B...

ShaunB

Hi guys, any GT6B experts out there? I am having trouble using the very basic effects, say, just Compression, Chorus or O/D or Phaser, but for the life of me and scanning through the manual can't find how to bypass the pre-set effects which adjust different combinations of 2 or more effects, alot of the time with different pre-amp settings which I don't use/need. A simple fellow who wants a simple life... I thought getting rid of 4 pedals for one plug'nplay board would be the way to go - but I don't need my bass to sound like a chainsaw in need of a body...
Any help gratefully received.
:)

[quote name='ShaunB' post='9259' date='May 30 2007, 03:14 PM']Hi guys, any GT6B experts out there? I am having trouble using the very basic effects, say, just Compression, Chorus or O/D or Phaser, but for the life of me and scanning through the manual can't find how to bypass the pre-set effects which adjust different combinations of 2 or more effects, alot of the time with different pre-amp settings which I don't use/need. A simple fellow who wants a simple life... I thought getting rid of 4 pedals for one plug'nplay board would be the way to go - but I don't need my bass to sound like a chainsaw in need of a body...
:)[/quote]

Hi Shaun
I've got one of these on its way and it looks really complex (help!)
However I found this "TurboStart" PDF document that seems to be a kind of short cut list.
I can't vouch for how useful it is as I don't have one to try it on yet :huh:

[url="http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/GT6Bts-622157afdbe12f8e00ee36a7bf9f0242.pdf"]GT-6B TurboStart Document PDF[/url]

Let me know how you get on? PM?
We can form a self-help group :huh:

Hi OG,

...thanks for the pdf - I'll take a gander. From my readings (at least 10 times through the manual now - very un-manly!) I think I need to create my own patches which are simply just Chorus, or Phaser etc. But then if you want the auto-wah you have to click the pre-set patch pedals and hunt up and down - it really must be easier...

Self-help group? Count me in! (is there tea and biscuits?)

...it all started when the guitarists said, "so, who's gonna play bass?" doctor...

Let me know when you get the box... it is a sturdy, but rather expensive tuner...

[quote name='ShaunB' post='10932' date='Jun 2 2007, 10:05 AM']Hi OG,

...thanks for the pdf - I'll take a gander. From my readings (at least 10 times through the manual now - very un-manly!) I think I need to create my own patches which are simply just Chorus, or Phaser etc. But then if you want the auto-wah you have to click the pre-set patch pedals and hunt up and down - it really must be easier...

Self-help group? Count me in! (is there tea and biscuits?)

...it all started when the guitarists said, "so, who's gonna play bass?" doctor...

:huh:

Let me know when you get the box... it is a sturdy, but rather expensive tuner...[/quote]

ha ha yeah "I helped myself to some self help ...... I'm still diggin' on James Brown"

Hum Ok may have to ask my scientifically minded wife to help me out , or my son. he's 9, he should be able to sort it :)

More - mixed - opinions here on TB
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4247215"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4247215[/url]
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334460"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=334460[/url]

Loks liek "RTFM" is teh first bit but what's this about Roland not allowing a printable download of the book? Hum

...aha! Good thread that second one - funny how someone asked the same question... "how do ya just use the simple effects?" and there's a fairly simple answer, which I will try next time I have a free couple of hours... ;-)

I think the lack of kids is really hindering me... I should have had one simply to explain the techy side of things and the willingness (and ability) to RTFM!

But struggle on with it I will as there haven't been any bites at my attempt to sell it.

If I have a breaktrhough I will pass it on (for good or bad)

[quote name='ShaunB' post='11019' date='Jun 2 2007, 02:04 PM']...aha! Good thread that second one - funny how someone asked the same question... "how do ya just use the simple effects?" and there's a fairly simple answer, which I will try next time I have a free couple of hours... ;-)

I think the lack of kids is really hindering me... I should have had one simply to explain the techy side of things and the willingness (and ability) to RTFM!

But struggle on with it I will as there haven't been any bites at my attempt to sell it.

If I have a breaktrhough I will pass it on (for good or bad)[/quote]

They sell on Ebay for about 175

OK It arrived ..
My proposed method is this:
- Reset to factory settings
- look through the patch list in the back of the manual for stuff that sounds like the sort of thing you are looking to use.
- try all the P presets but also have a look at the ones they have loaded into the U and u banks as well cos some of them are cool.
- select the ones you will use (in my case that's two sets, one set for each band)
- copy them to the patch addresses you want them to be at eg U4/1 U4/2 U4/3 and U3/4 U3/3 U3/2
- make a table of what you are doing... so in my case I'll centre my sounds for band 1 on U4/1 so in there I'll have my basic tone - SVT 8x10 + Compressor .. I got that from modifying the standard setting at er P3/2 is it? (manual not to hand) and by changing the various settings til I git the sound I wanted then saving it to U4/1.
- then to the left (ie move to there by hitting the left patch pedal) I'll have my 4 normal settings - same as one but add flanger, and a couple of others. Then to the right of U4/1 I'll have the wilder stuff like the big wah etc.

So I end up with a gigging sound set centred on U4/1.. Left 4 and right 4 from there gives me just about all I'll need for that band.
Then I'll do the same thing for the other band centered on u4/1

The pedals at the front allow you to turn things like chorus, reverb, fuzz, on and off within that setting "live" as it were so you can take or add in fuzz or chorus as a temporary measure that doesn't stick on the setting oh and teh all important "bypass" pedal that takes teh whole big red thing out of the sound entirely

So in the end I don't have to go very far from "default" to get the stuff I need for those gigs.
Then if I think up something else to use I can add it one more click to the left or right.

That should get you started ..
Just don't ask me how to add in or remove the synth arpeggio things that shift it up a tone (weird or what?)

[quote name='ShaunB' post='9259' date='May 30 2007, 03:14 PM']Hi guys, any GT6B experts out there? I am having trouble using the very basic effects, say, just Compression, Chorus or O/D or Phaser, but for the life of me and scanning through the manual can't find how to bypass the pre-set effects which adjust different combinations of 2 or more effects, alot of the time with different pre-amp settings which I don't use/need. A simple fellow who wants a simple life... I thought getting rid of 4 pedals for one plug'nplay board would be the way to go - but I don't need my bass to sound like a chainsaw in need of a body...
:)[/quote]

OK what you do is this:

Find a basic sound you like (around P3/1 I think they are)
Then take out or add in the settings you want, say compressor.
Then save that to a user patch position, say U3/1 (it overwrites what was there so make sure you are cool with that)
Then take what you have loaded into U3/1, add or subtract what you want, say add flanger, and save it to another user patch position, say U3/2
so switching between U3/1 and U3/2 will add a flanger effect to what you had before.
Repeat as necessary.

Haven't looked at just having compression and nowt else. I am sure you can do that though, if only by removing everything else from the patch.

Edited by OldGit

I've not used the GT6B but what you say above is generally the best method for creating your own sounds on every other multi-FX thingy I've used. That being -

1. Pick an existing patch (or preset)
2. Go into "Edit" mode
3. Switch off any FX you don't want
4. Switch on any FX you do want
5. Adjust the parameters of the FX you do want
6. Save the patch

At step 6 you can either save it over the original or save it to a new location.

With a little practice it becomes easy, although if you've never created a new patch for 6 months or so and have to go back to it then it's like starting all over again.

One last tip. Try to keep the patches that you will use live "close together" so that it's easy to go from one to another with the minimum of foot tapping.

And don't worry about overwriting the original patches. They're usually crap and unusable but there will almost certainly be a "reset" procedure to restore the factory presets and patches should you ever need to do this.

Thanks for the input guys... I've been trying all weekend to get to the same stage - but even knocking out the other effects you can still hear a tiny bit of, say, Chorus in the mix...

Anyways, onwards and downwards.

Any ideas how to make the SOS work? I've been trying to access the FX Select (page 27 of the manual) which keeps taking me to page 55 which says go to page 27... *ahem*

I crave the simple life. Maybe the pedal aint for me.

[quote name='BOD2' post='12471' date='Jun 5 2007, 01:40 PM']One last tip. Try to keep the patches that you will use live "close together" so that it's easy to go from one to another with the minimum of foot tapping.[/quote]

Yup that was what I was trying to say with the "centre, left 4, right 4", thing in my post :)

[quote name='BOD2' post='12471' date='Jun 5 2007, 01:40 PM']And don't worry about overwriting the original patches. They're usually crap and unusable but there will almost certainly be a "reset" procedure to restore the factory presets and patches should you ever need to do this.[/quote]

yeah on the GT6B you can reset the whole lot to the factory settings or just choose to reset one patch position

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='ShaunB' post='12482' date='Jun 5 2007, 01:49 PM']Any ideas how to make the SOS work? I've been trying to access the FX Select (page 27 of the manual) which keeps taking me to page 55 which says go to page 27... *ahem*

I crave the simple life. Maybe the pedal aint for me.[/quote]

ha ha it's fairly simple once you gethe gist I think ..

SOS er not got there yet but I did find I was recording accidentally during the initial play about so it is possible :)

OG! You da man! ...I have reset the to the factory presets and all has become way easier... Followed your instructions and set the Bare Bass (removed all the presets), copied the patch to my UL1 and voilá! I can now add any of the pedals live as a base set.

*phew* ...adding patches up from there now.

OK - first to sort the SOS...

cheers
Shaun

[quote name='ShaunB' post='12525' date='Jun 5 2007, 02:35 PM']OG! You da man! ...I have reset the to the factory presets and all has become way easier... Followed your instructions and set the Bare Bass (removed all the presets), copied the patch to my UL1 and voilá! I can now add any of the pedals live as a base set.

*phew* ...adding patches up from there now.

OK - first to sort the SOS...

cheers
Shaun[/quote]

hey cool
let me know about that SOS

OG

MB1. :)

Shame you werent about when i had mine........................that was an expensive stage tuner.............................with chorus!.must admit........... miss the nice double chorus............. accurate tuner ..................really wicked lightshow........................................ when in tune.....................hey jimmy gimme the gimmix!.....................................what do you reckon to the amp modeling? :huh:

MB1.

[quote name='MB1' post='12768' date='Jun 5 2007, 11:44 PM']MB1. :huh:

Shame you werent about when i had mine........................that was an expensive stage tuner.............................with chorus!.must admit........... miss the nice double chorus............. accurate tuner ..................really wicked lightshow........................................ when in tune.....................hey jimmy gimme the gimmix!.....................................what do you reckon to the amp modeling? :huh:

MB1.[/quote]

Ask us in a few months, we've only just foun the on button :)

Hey MB1, how goes?

Thanks to OG there is light at the end of the tunnel - used the box last night and all is now well. Got the basic effects I need in one package (although I have to say a somewhat over-complex package for my small brain).

OG... I think the "on" button is the one on the back, but I can't get it to slide - any luck?

[quote name='ShaunB' post='12821' date='Jun 6 2007, 07:38 AM']Hey MB1, how goes?

Thanks to OG there is light at the end of the tunnel - used the box last night and all is now well. Got the basic effects I need in one package (although I have to say a somewhat over-complex package for my small brain).

OG... I think the "on" button is the one on the back, but I can't get it to slide - any luck?

:huh:[/quote]

Use a bigger hammer ... :)

Found out how to go up a bank at a time rather than a patch at a time with the up-down pedals?
Foxing me ...

OK - time for me to help out! This requires reading Chapter 9 from the end rather than the beginning... (seriously!)

If you have the same manual as me you need to read page 61, Setting the Timing Used for Switching Patches (Patch Change Mode) - this will tell you how to change the Parameter from "SYS:Patch Select" (rather than "Patch Change" they have in the damn book): "UP/DOWN" to "BANK/NUMBER" (roatry dial) - this'll allow you to select Banks and numbers rather than Patches...

The actual method is in the previous section "Switching the Bank and Number" - but doesn't tell ya how to do it!!!

*phew*

...and now to SOS...

[quote name='ShaunB' post='13098' date='Jun 6 2007, 04:06 PM']OK - time for me to help out! This requires reading Chapter 9 from the end rather than the beginning... (seriously!)

If you have the same manual as me you need to read page 61, Setting the Timing Used for Switching Patches (Patch Change Mode) - this will tell you how to change the Parameter from "SYS:Patch Select" (rather than "Patch Change" they have in the damn book): "UP/DOWN" to "BANK/NUMBER" (roatry dial) - this'll allow you to select Banks and numbers rather than Patches...

The actual method is in the previous section "Switching the Bank and Number" - but doesn't tell ya how to do it!!!

*phew*

...and now to SOS...[/quote]

Ha fun :) I love that when they don't use the same term on the machine and the manual ...

Edited by OldGit