Why become a member? ×

Damaged socket head on truss rod

Mottlefeeder

I have a Yamaha RBX 765, and I though I had a suitable allen key to adjust it. Unfortunately it was too small, and twisted round in the socket, rounding the edges of the hex hole.

Firstly, if I get the right allen key, am I likely to be able to use it, since the chewing up of the socket would have been the flat area, not the corners, and secondly, if that fails, how much of the truss rod needs to be replaced, and is that an 'unbolt it' job, or a 'take the fretboard off' job

Quite some time back I did the same to my old cheapy. I buggered it up so bad that even the proper allen key had no effect. I thought it was a gonner but I managed to tightly wedge a flat bladed screwdriver into what was left of the two best corners and off it came. I think the reason that worked when the correct sized allen key didn't was because of the taper on the screwdriver blade, I was able to truly wedge it into the corners whereas the allen key had just enough slack to slip out and onto the rounded parts.

On mine it was simply a replacement of the allen fitting rather than the entire rod. It was just a small barrel affair that pressed against the end of the neck pulling the rod which was secured at the opposite end of the neck, if you see what I mean. You should be able to get spares from Allparts or Stewmac, but ask your local luthier if he's got any spares. You might just get given one free gratis if you're lucky!

Hope this helps,
Steve.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='103473' date='Dec 12 2007, 06:13 PM']Quite some time back I did the same to my old cheapy. I buggered it up so bad that even the proper allen key had no effect. I thought it was a gonner but I managed to tightly wedge a flat bladed screwdriver into what was left of the two best corners and off it came. I think the reason that worked when the correct sized allen key didn't was because of the taper on the screwdriver blade, I was able to truly wedge it into the corners whereas the allen key had just enough slack to slip out and onto the rounded parts.

On mine it was simply a replacement of the allen fitting rather than the entire rod. It was just a small barrel affair that pressed against the end of the neck pulling the rod which was secured at the opposite end of the neck, if you see what I mean. You should be able to get spares from Allparts or Stewmac, but ask your local luthier if he's got any spares. You might just get given one free gratis if you're lucky!

Hope this helps,
Steve.[/quote]
Thanks - there is hope yet.