Why become a member? ×

Late 19th Century Swellback NOW SOLD

Hi,

I'm selling a German swellback double bass from around 1890.It's a 3/4 scale length, the width of the neck at the nut is 38mm and the neck is 36mm deep at the nut making it a very comfortable instrument for a musician with smaller hands. It would make an ideal first professional instrument.
I bought the instrument from Malcolm Healy Violins in 1994 (then in London as part of Coppen & Healy). It's been professionally set up by Colin Cross from Buxton Violins and I'm looking for £5950. I wish I'd had Colin look at it years ago when I was still gigging with it. I went over to try it out last week after he'd done the work on it (fitting and repositioning of a new sound post, fingerboard skim). The bass sounds better than it ever has. Unfortunately I don't have the space for a second bass.

I'm based in Manchester. Please get in touch if you want to come and have a look at it or have any questions.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting the photos on here. i tried putting them on Flickr and then using the insert image button but I keep getting an invalid format message. So here's a link to the pictures on Flickr

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/52484061@N03/"]http://www.flickr.co...s/52484061@N03/[/url]

I'm reducing the price on this as the dealer who's also trying to sell it for me will take a cut so I'll only see around 5k.

>>>>[b]NEW PRICE[/b] [s]£5000[/s] £3950<<<<

I've just had it revalued and found the last valuation was a little generous.

[font=Arial][size=3][b]Full measurements include[/b][/size][/font]
[color=#6B0901][font=Arial][size=3][b]LOB (length of back) - 110cm (43in)[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#6B0901][font=Arial][size=3][b]Width across upper bouts - 50cm (19.5in)[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#6B0901][font=Arial][size=3][b]Width across middle bouts - 34cm (13.5in)[/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#6B0901][font=Arial][size=3][b]Width across lower bouts - 65cm (25.5in) [/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#6B0901][font=Arial][size=3][b]Depth of lower ribs inc both plates - 19.8cm (7.8in) [/b][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#6B0901][font=Arial][size=3][b]String length - 104cm (41in)[/b][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by Apeneck Sweeney

[quote name='Machines' post='910345' date='Jul 30 2010, 03:23 PM']I'm going to move this to the Double Bass forum where you might get more interest :).[/quote]

Thanks for the move (and for the photo insert velvet)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump for price reduction. Also new photos added to link in original post. (If anyone knows how to get the photos on here from Flickr I'd appreciate being told how to. I've tried various ways but get an error message each time i use the image url link.)...edit: I've finally worked it out..see below

[quote name='bobmartin' timestamp='1350328923' post='1837452']
Could you supply link to Double Bass Forum please.

Bob M.
[/quote]

I think he meant it was moved to this sub-forum from where I originally posted it, rather than to something like doublebasschat (unless I misunderstand your post) . I can't remember which it was, I just assumed it was the wrong one (possibly accidentally into the bass guitar marketplace) and that it had been moved to the marketplace double bass forum. At least that's how my fuzzy memory recalls it. It was 2 years ago. I hadn't looked at the post for a long time. Evidently I'm not winning any awards for the most proactive or observant salesman in history.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, it's a shame Colin moved away. I was at a bit of a loss as to who to go to when my Hawk's Professor starting making some very unwanted buzzing noises. After asking around for recommendations I went down to Tim Toft Violins in Stone and had Helen Pegram look at it and was very happy with her work.

[quote name='Fenderphil' timestamp='1365631496' post='2042238']
Is this still for sale?
[/quote]
Yes it is. Sorry for late reply. I'll have to check my settings. I thought I had this set to receive email notifications.....though my email may have put it in spam again like it did with the last PM I got.

• 3 months later...

I've added a few more pictures on my Flckr page but have forgotten how I posted the images here so here's a link to the page with the pictures above plus a few more

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/52484061@N03/sets/72157624614972916/[/media]

EDIT : Oh, I guess I did something right after all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...