Why become a member? ×

Can i swop my HW1 Jazz neck with a HW-one P neck?

dave_bass5

I dont use the Jazz much but really like the neck. Can i assume i just need to unscrew them both and then i can put the Jazz neck on the P?
Any problems i might encounter?
The only thing stopping me from just trying it now is im worried that i might not get the neck seated right or tightened properly. At the moment both are fine and it would be a shame to mess with them if i cant just swap them over. No good with wood so i dont want to have to do anything to either neck to get this to work.

Cheers.

[quote name='Stewart' post='101724' date='Dec 9 2007, 02:17 PM']They *should* be interchangeable.
Only one way to find out for sure though - just mind the fragile painted curves at the edges of the neck cutout...[/quote]

I bought a jazz/pbass hybrid off a guy called Will on this forum and the mighty mite jazz neck fits perfectly in the pbass body. Unsure of what the body is but it doesn`t look like it`s had any work done to make it fit. If the holes marry up I dont see why it shouldn`t work.

I have a Precision project that i finished a month ago with a Jazz Neck, i even put a Jazz decal on the headstock. Like you said, its a talking point, and to be honest, its not that rare!
Plays fantastic and the neck was a perfect fit for the joint!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='102513' date='Dec 11 2007, 01:55 AM']I have a Precision project that i finished a month ago with a Jazz Neck, i even put a Jazz decal on the headstock. Like you said, its a talking point, and to be honest, its not that rare!
Plays fantastic and the neck was a perfect fit for the joint!

Si[/quote]

Yeah, they seemed to be made ofr each other.
I feel its cheating a bit. I felt i should have tried a bit harder to play the P as it was. It did feel nice and not as cramped as the Jazz but at the end of the day it was slowing me down a bit.

Mr Foxen, sorry, im keeping the Jazz as a back up.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='102525' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:15 AM']I feel its cheating a bit. I felt i should have tried a bit harder to play the P as it was.[/quote]

Not at all. I have a '78 Fender Precision that was factory made with a Jazz neck.

[quote name='obbm' post='102537' date='Dec 11 2007, 08:13 AM']Not at all. I have a '78 Fender Precision that was factory made with a Jazz neck.[/quote]
I know your right, it just seemed a shame to spned money on a new neck (bass) only to use an old one.
Still, its the end result that counts. i noticed a small rattle when playing an open E but its not coming through the amp as its at the nut end. Ill re set ti all up tonight.

One thing i noticed is that the P body felt a lot lighter than the Jazz. not a problem but i always thought my 55-01, being lighter than my Jazz was a light bass but i guess its the other way round and the Jazz is quite heavy.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='102525' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:15 AM']I feel its cheating a bit. I felt i should have tried a bit harder to play the P as it was.[/quote]

You should feel guilty, what you're proposing doing is sacrilege! :)