Why become a member? ×

Scammer operating on the site via PM

Kiwi

Thanks to a heads up by EBS_freak, we believe there's a scammer operating on the forum who has been active on other non-bass related forums as well.

He has sent the following message:

[i]My name is Chris Corner from Madrid Spain...I am contacting you regarding your advert you place on website that you are looking for the above subject...I have it in very good condition and if still interested,Let me know and i will forward you details of the item and i will also need your shipping address and telephone number to calculate the shipping cost to your destination.My mode of payment is Via Paypal,Western union,MoneyGram..Bank wire transfer..Let me know which method you prefer and i ship the next day after payment has been receive..My phone number is +33424029617..Feel free to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back at [email protected] thanks and hope to hear from you soon.[/i]

We're only aware of one user account which has been shut down but if you receive a PM from anyone offering stuff and asking for payment via any non secure international payment methods eg. Western Union, Moneygram etc. please let a Mod know.

cheers
Steve

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='911583' date='Aug 1 2010, 12:27 AM']Thanks to a heads up by EBS_freak, we believe there's a scammer operating on the forum who has been active on other non-bass related forums as well.

[i]My name is Chris Corner from Madrid Spain...I am contacting you regarding your advert you place on website that you are looking for the above subject...I have it in very good condition and if still interested,Let me know and i will forward you details of the item and i will also need your shipping address and telephone number to calculate the shipping cost to your destination.My mode of payment is Via Paypal,Western union,MoneyGram..Bank wire transfer..Let me know which method you prefer and i ship the next day after payment has been receive..My phone number is +33424029617..Feel free to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back at [email protected] thanks and hope to hear from you soon.[/i]

We're only aware of one user account which has been shut down but if you receive a PM from anyone offering stuff and asking for payment via any non secure international payment methods eg. Western Union, Moneygram etc. please let a Mod know.

cheers
Steve[/quote]

I've had the exact same message from a cc25corner in response to a wanted thread.

However I would automatically steer clear of anything that first off didn't state what it was they were trying to sell (generic copy and paste meesage) and secondly asked you to pay by western union or similar (payment media of the scammer/terriorist scum variety)

[quote name='Yeatus Fajitus' post='911721' date='Aug 1 2010, 09:31 AM']I've had the exact same message from a cc25corner in response to a wanted thread.[/quote]
Thats the account which has been shut down.

[quote name='discreet' post='912410' date='Aug 2 2010, 12:59 AM']Plus one. Why won't anyone scam me? I'm fairly gullible.

PS: Did you know the word 'gullible' isn't in the dictionary? You did? OK, then. :)[/quote]
I never knew that.

[quote name='Marvin' post='912553' date='Aug 2 2010, 10:05 AM']I never knew that.[/quote]
I also received that message.

Did wonder why, as my ad stated I`d sorted what I wanted, so was no longer current.

Replied stating so, nothing back - no wonder, really.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='911583' date='Aug 1 2010, 12:27 AM']Thanks to a heads up by EBS_freak, we believe there's a scammer operating on the forum who has been active on other non-bass related forums as well.

[i]My name is Chris Corner from Madrid Spain...........My phone number is +33424029617..Feel free to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back at [email protected] thanks and hope to hear from you soon.[/i][/quote]

That's not even the right International Dialling Code! For Spain is +34 :)

I didn't get one of those messages, yet, but thanks for the heads up.

cheers
Steve[/quote]

Hi Steve,

He / She or whatever it is, is at it again - [b]beware[/b].

I posted a Wanted for a Stu Hamm 32" Scale Bass and look what lucky old me got:

[quote]Fender Stu Hamm Signature URGE (32” Scal
cc25corner
Fender Stu Hamm Signature URGE (32” Scal, Jul 31 2010, 09:22 PM

Group: Banned
Member No.: 11,430

Hi

My name is Chris Corner from Madrid Spain...I am contacting you regarding your advert you place on website that you are looking for the above subject...I have it in very good condition and if still interested,Let me know and i will forward you details of the item and i will also need your shipping address and telephone number to calculate the shipping cost to your destination.My mode of payment is Via Paypal,Western union,MoneyGram..Bank wire transfer..Let me know which method you prefer and i ship the next day after payment has been receive..My phone number is +33424029617..Feel free to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back at [email protected] thanks and hope to hear from you soon.[/quote]

I even got a follow up email offering the bass at £580 with some nice pictures.

Oggy :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='913208' date='Aug 2 2010, 09:24 PM']I had the same message to a wanted ad as well.

Good to see te Basschat police are on the case![/quote]

The sad thing is, somebody who hasn't seen this thread is going to bite...

Russ, do you think we're taking reasonable steps? This post is in the most prominent part of the site and features on the RSS feed. The only other thing we could do is issue a forum wide email but we still can't protect people against themselves.

Oggy, when did you get the PM? I'd like to check if they're using another account or the one that has been banned. The banned account is dead and disabled, they don't even have access to their PM system but we keep it on file so they can't register a new account with the same email.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='913387' date='Aug 2 2010, 11:50 PM']Russ, do you think we're taking reasonable steps? This post is in the most prominent part of the site and features on the RSS feed. The only other thing we could do is issue a forum wide email but we still can't protect people against themselves.

Oggy, when did you get the PM? I'd like to check if they're using another account or the one that has been banned. The banned account is dead and disabled, they don't even have access to their PM system but we keep it on file so they can't register a new account with the same email.[/quote]

I don't know what to suggest really. Maybe change the headers in the market place or put a big sticky up in caps in all the marketplace sections. The trouble is, if people don't have a RSS feed or notice the site message at the top of the screen (must admit I tend not to look) then people are going to get burnt :)

Oggy and I have spoken about this joker by PM. I got a response to my Markbass wanted add. I'd listed 3 amps I was interested in and he just said he had exactly the amp I was looking for - set alarm bells ringing straight away when he didn't mention which one it was. I deleted the PM unfortunately - think it came in yesterday (maybe day before).

Ian

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='913387' date='Aug 2 2010, 11:50 PM']Russ, do you think we're taking reasonable steps? This post is in the most prominent part of the site and features on the RSS feed. The only other thing we could do is issue a forum wide email but we still can't protect people against themselves.

Oggy, when did you get the PM? I'd like to check if they're using another account or the one that has been banned. The banned account is dead and disabled, they don't even have access to their PM system but we keep it on file so they can't register a new account with the same email.[/quote]

Ho Crazykiwi,

I got the PM 'July 32 2010 09:22pm. If you have access to my PM's your more than welcome to have a look at them, it may help.

Also if you send me your email address I'll forward you the email I got with the Bass description, asking price, preferred method of payment and some very nice pictures. I would just be so easy to let the GAS take over and send the money, especially if your not an old sceptic like myself. I don't want to see any of our members being caught by this scammer.

Oggy :)

[b]Cut and paste:[/b]-

cc25corner
View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Add to PM block list
Forward PM
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts
Fender Stu Hamm Signature URGE (32” Scal, Jul 31 2010, 09:22 PM

Group: Banned
Member No.: 11,430

Hi

My name is Chris Corner from Madrid Spain...I am contacting you regarding your advert you place on website that you are looking for the above subject...I have it in very good condition and if still interested,Let me know and i will forward you details of the item and i will also need your shipping address and telephone number to calculate the shipping cost to your destination.My mode of payment is Via Paypal,Western union,MoneyGram..Bank wire transfer..Let me know which method you prefer and i ship the next day after payment has been receive..My phone number is +33424029617..Feel free to call me anytime for further discussion or email me back at [email protected] thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

You are also welcome to view the PM I got from this scammer. Just don't look at the ones I've had from,

Keira Knightly
Yvonna Strahotski
Natalie Imbruglia
Neve Campbell
Laetitia Casta
Jennifer Love Hewit
Estelle Skornik
Alicia Silverstone
Billie Piper
Debbie Gibson
Marget Thatcher (Don't ask, its a long story, complicated and could cost me thousands)