Why become a member? ×

Double Bass - Info Needed!

Jebo1

Hi everyone, a friend of a friend is selling this bass (http://bristol.gumtree.com/bristol/94/13397294.html)

I've been offerred it for the seemingly reasonable £750. To support this, I'm going to take lessons to get used to the darn thing, but what should I ask the seller etc?

Give me a hand people!

Cheers, L

Oh, and I'm 6'2" so a full size shouldn't present too many problems for me.

Hello L,

I suggest you go an check it out and take someone who knows about double basses and what to look for.
If you don't know what you're looking for, make sure you take someone who does. £750 may seem reasonable but without knowing what it is or how much it cost new it's impossible to say if it's a good deal.

Anyway, good luck.

Wil

That's cool, I mean the guy is really open, so let me know what sort of questions you think I should be asking.

Might seem like a wierd question, but does anyone on here know about Double Basses and are based around the South West who might want to come around and give me a hand? There would be a few beers in it for them :-)

Hi,
You should firstly check the bass for any repairs & if so, how secure they are.
Check the body for cracks too, especially anywhere near the bridge area.

Check for buzzing noises when you play the bass.
Make sure all the tuning keys turn properly.

Theres lots more, but use common sense really & if in doubt, don't buy & keep looking!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='101802' date='Dec 9 2007, 05:29 PM']Hi everyone, a friend of a friend is selling this bass (http://bristol.gumtree.com/bristol/94/13397294.html)

I've been offerred it for the seemingly reasonable £750. To support this, I'm going to take lessons to get used to the darn thing, but what should I ask the seller etc?

Give me a hand people!

Cheers, L

Oh, and I'm 6'2" so a full size shouldn't present too many problems for me.[/quote]

Is that the "Frampton Cotterill" one asking @£900?
I guess £750 these days is a pretty good price for a beginners double bass.
Check out the fingerboard anyway. It would be better to have an ebony one on a double bass. Some cheaper basses had a softer wood f/board fitted and stained black, so heavy use will wear it down much easier than an ebony.
Any major work on a double bass is expensive as the repairer often has to dis-assemble the bass to repair correctly.
If you are already getting it for £150 less, that saving could be put towards a f/board replacement.
I remember there was a string instrument shop ( above and in the vicinity of the Colston Hall theatre in Bristol), ask for a quote from them maybe for a replacement f/board or even to inspect it for you.
Many basses have cracks. This shouldn't affect the bass IF they have been repaired correctly, often by the repairer gluing thin "inserts" along the line of the crack. Also, look inside the body to see if there are any internal "patches" where the crack(s) were. These are also used by repairers to help by strengthening the new repair.
Hope this helps.