Why become a member? ×

lady bassist

The first that appealed to me about Debra Killings is her playing, soulful and funky, and yeah the fact the TRB is almost the size of her but Luke's right it's nice when a female bassist does come along, but we've debated this before on Bassworld haven't we?

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Davemarks' post='10111' date='May 31 2007, 07:25 PM']Chaps - any of you who wanna get a fill of awesome ladies playing awesome bass, check out:

Rhonda Smith (prince)

Gail ann dorsey (David Bowie)

Me'shell Ndegeocello

All AWESOME players -some of my favourites and not too harsh on the eyes either...[/quote]

Gail Ann Dorsey is deffinatley one of my influences, totally love her playing

[quote name='Josh' post='10518' date='Jun 1 2007, 01:34 PM']The first that appealed to me about Debra Killings is her playing, soulful and funky, and yeah the fact the TRB is almost the size of her but Luke's right it's nice when a female bassist does come along, but we've debated this before on Bassworld haven't we?[/quote]

MB1. :)

Get over it josh!if your male and you like women bass players,and comment on the fact, your a sexist.
if you like male bass players,and mention the fact,your george michael??????obviously!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='9359' date='May 30 2007, 05:52 PM']Love the way her chest hangs over the top of the bass. As for Debra, ladies with big hands dont do it for me.[/quote]

My problem is not with her style of playing, OR the way she looks.

The above comment is what I have issues with as I said in the post. Us girls don't comment about Men and what is in their trousers.

If you have an issue of my freedom of speech then that is your problem.
I can see that it was a HUGE mistake to join this forum.

[quote name='MB1' post='10527' date='Jun 1 2007, 01:48 PM']MB1. :)

Get over it josh!if your male and you like women bass players,and comment on the fact, your a sexist.
if you like male bass players,and mention the fact,your george michael??????obviously![/quote]

There's a difference man, theres commenting on their playing and then theres commenting on them as an object, which is what has come across in some posts.

[quote name='MB1' post='10554' date='Jun 1 2007, 02:13 PM']MB1. :)

Woah tanc, i honestly hadnt seen that,theres no reason for you to go anywhere, this is the best bass forum ,strangely like the art of bass playing it is predominantly male and has been for many years.however,if you can put up with guys being guys, girls can be girls on here too!youll find this site to be a most informative 100% all bass bassers type bass thang! sort of! not a huge mistake ,as for free speech! feel free!......................my apologies!
all the best
MB1.[/quote]

ah well, seems like you cant please all the people all the time!did try!

[quote name='Tanc' post='10531' date='Jun 1 2007, 01:51 PM']I can see that it was a HUGE mistake to join this forum.[/quote]

Well, one of the nice things about this forum are all the new features, specifically the 'Ignore posters' feature.

[quote name='MB1' post='10515' date='Jun 1 2007, 01:30 PM']MB1. :)

The only person with a problem seems to be you,men like women(unless you happen to be gay)and the fact shes a good bass player is a plus point.
im not saying"id walk over a mile of broken glass on all fours, backwards just to gargle in her dirty bathwater" i dont think shes that good![/quote]

Maybe that's because Tanc's a woman. I guess [i]We have every right to play bass, or any other instrument[/i] was a bit too subtle for the likes of you.

The issue at stake here is men commenting about women as if there were no women present. I'm an admirer of beautiful women as much as the next guy, but I used to live with a guy who talked in very frank terms about what he though of a particular woman etc.. in male company or female. needless to say, he didn't get laid much and couldn't understand that context dictates what is considered good and bad manners.

One thing to be aware of, is that when a person can play an instrument well, it makes them far more attractive. I've been on both sides of this coin - I know there are women who give me some time and attention because I do what I do well, and when I see a great performer, it can make them seem attractive, even if they aren't particularly beautiful.

Commenting about how a girls boobs sit when she plays bass is just going to make you seem a little neanderthal. You'd be surprised how many women musicians shy away from joining bands etc. because they have to fend off leery pissed blokes either in the band or audience. I deal with a lot of female music students who get patronised / perved on / offered things they aren't qualified for cause they are pretty. It's a strange situation and as a man I have to be sensitive to it.

Ladies of the forum please come and deliver us your horror stories, to provide us with a little more perspective...

[quote name='Davemarks' post='10792' date='Jun 1 2007, 09:31 PM']Ladies of the forum please come and deliver us your horror stories, to provide us with a little more perspective...[/quote]

Great idea Dave and thanks for your input! :)

[quote name='Tanc' post='10531' date='Jun 1 2007, 01:51 PM']If you have an issue of my freedom of speech then that is your problem.
I can see that it was a HUGE mistake to join this forum.[/quote]

Wow Tanc, don't tar us all with the same brush.
and don't leave the Forum 'cos of the remarks in this thread
OK?
OG

[quote]you simply dont see them that often[/quote]

My mate's band have a female bassist: [url="http://www.myspace.com/theofficialkarassband"]http://www.myspace.com/theofficialkarassband[/url]

[quote name='mhuk' post='10838' date='Jun 1 2007, 10:12 PM']My mate's band have a female bassist: [url="http://www.myspace.com/theofficialkarassband"]http://www.myspace.com/theofficialkarassband[/url][/quote]

Ditto - and Jo is a very fluid player (and is quite well known to one of our forum members!) [url="http://www.myspace.com/aynsleylister"]I hate him! - so young yet so good![/url]

Hamster

Right thought i'd rear my head, my original point was how i felt when i first saw this artist on youtube. I was just impressed with everything about her NOT just the fact she was female and holding a bass, she's got the FUNK and grooves like nothing else(as Owen points out). I felt the same when i first heard Janis Joplin singing 'Piece of My Heart' on the Cheap Thrills album or Norah Jones doing 'Cold Cold Heart' with that upright bass and a piano or Rory Gallagher beating out 'Pistol Slapper Blues' on his battered old resonator or when you first hear Jaco's debut album, there's just something about hearing something done well, it moves and inspires you.

Guest kakkoiidan

I think it's important to remember that wherever you go, there will be people who voice opinions that you dissaprove of, as much as it is important to remember that the views of the few do not accurately represent those of the many, if ye get my drift. The best and only way to deal with this kind of situation is to ignore it and move on. I have just joined and along with a friend of mine who is already on here, represent a section of this community who does not believe it acceptable to refer to other human beings in such base terms. So Tanc, ignore the crap, don't leave, it won't help. Theres loads of interesting stuff to look at on here, it'd be a shame to miss out on all of this for the sake of this one thread.kd

[quote name='kakkoiidan' post='10885' date='Jun 2 2007, 02:49 AM']So Tanc, ignore the crap, don't leave, it won't help. Theres loads of interesting stuff to look at on here, it'd be a shame to miss out on all of this for the sake of this one thread.kd[/quote]

Tanc's an experienced member of Bassworld, she's encountered this sort of thing before and has dealt with it adroitly.

All I'm going to ask is that people treat each other with a little respect, which I'm guessing is what Tanc is seeking. Lets keep this forum a broadly based and inclusive community after all, its about the bass isn't it? :)

The point I am trying to make is the DOUBLE STANDARDS bull sh*t that goes on in this forum. If I made a racist comment, or a rude comment about any of the mods, then I would get a warning as per the terms and conditions of the forum which includes sexism.

A guy writes that he likes the way a breast hangs over a bass, which is sooo sexist that it's not funny, no one does anything. This is double standards. THIS IS WRONG!!!

The WAY it [u]should[/u] of been dealt with, is the person in question should of received a warning and the thread should of been removed, or blocked. I should of received a pm from a mod or from the person in question apologising for the behaviour.

As for telling guys our victim stories, that is complete BS as well. This is 2007 and believe it or not men and women are equal.
We are not victims!!!!

End of my rant.
Thanks guys it's been a blast.

Tanya

[quote name='Tanc' post='11008' date='Jun 2 2007, 01:30 PM']The point I am trying to make is the DOUBLE STANDARDS bull sh*t that goes on in this forum. If I made a racist comment, or a rude comment about any of the mods, then I would get a warning as per the terms and conditions of the forum which includes sexism.

A guy writes that he likes the way a breast hangs over a bass, which is sooo sexist that it's not funny, no one does anything. This is double standards. THIS IS WRONG!!!

The WAY it [u]should[/u] of been dealt with, is the person in question should of received a warning and the thread should of been removed, or blocked. I should of received a pm from a mod or from the person in question apologising for the behaviour.[/quote]

Yup I'd expect to happen too.

Self regulation only goes so far and I for one am in favour of a little parental control now and then to avoid this forum falling to teh depths of some others.