Why become a member? ×

Jazz noise problem

DirkThrust

When playing my 62 re-issue Jazz I get a lot of high frequency noise whenever one hand is in contact with the strings and moving, for instance sliding my hand up or down the neck produces a kind of crackling, hissing, spitting static-like noise (it's very difficult to describe a noise). With the other hand touching the strings it's ok, so playing normally it's fine. If I take one hand off to play an open string it makes this noise, and it's loud enough that I'm afraid of damaging my speakers' horn.

It does it with two different amps, two different cabs and I've changed all my leads so I have concluded that it is the bass.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Edited by PaulMartin

sounds like the pickup cavities & control cavities need screening.

line them with conductive screening paint or aluminium, or better, copper foil, and connect the screen to ground.

what's happening is that you're acting as an aerial for interference, but when you touch the bridge/strings/jack socket sleeve it is sent to ground- taken out.

screening the pickup cavities + control cavities minimises the interference picked up , by the pickups and wiring- hopefully leaving just the string vibration signal.

in some of the pics in the build diaries forum you can see the use of screening foil/paint.

but some people have a quirky way of getting around it (maybe on vintage basses that can't be modded)-
using a wristband going to a crocodile clip attached to the bridge- in effect grounding the player all the time.

Edited by SJA