Why become a member? ×

ONE unit, few functions inc. tuner.

Sparky

Calling all effect users. I've never owed a pedal of any sort in the 15 or so years I've been playing bass. I joined basschat for a bit of advice to help me replace my cab setup and in the few months since doing so have developed serious GAS for (what seems) eveything bass - it's killing me!

anyway - i've needed a pedal tuner for yonks and have just never bothered to invest. now, almost as a GAS side-effect, i've decided to go ahead and buy one, BUT, a tuner on its own is not only IMO expensive (TU-2 £60) but also, boringly pragmatic! so I'm thinking that maybe I could get something a little more exciting and hopefully by including the tuner as part of another unit, get better value for money. I don't want anything complicated or extravagant but I wouldn't mind a little boost (don't know the difference between gain, fuzz & overdrive - all types of distortion??? or means to achieve a distortion???) now and then and maybe a couple more basic tools that I could experiment with.

So, can anyone recommend a compact, sturdy pedal with a few functions (including a tuner and some kind of boost - for those 'drop' moments) that would suit me? just as a guideline, looking to spend up to £150... i guess... but right now am just assesing what's out there and how much it costs. Picking up a new bass just before xmas so this particular GAS remedy is gonna have to wait until early next year!

Thanks in advance. sparky.

A Zoom B2? Or the 2.1 if you think you might have a use for USB? Lots of amp and FX models, plus the usual effects and, errr... a drum machine. And of course a tuner. Well within your budget.

Bear in mind that tuners built into multi FX are usually pretty basic - they actually work ok, but often don't have all the LEDs for seeing how close you are to the note that dedicated tuners usually have. For live work, when tuning is something you want to be as hassle free and quick as possible, I'd still spring for a stand alone tuner.

I had PODxt with bass pack (equivalent ot Bass PODxt) and before a Zoom B2.1u but personally I'm much happier with my new AdrennaLinn III. Unless you find it second-hand, it might a little bit over your budget (£220).

I wrote a review here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9116"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9116[/url]

Although the review doesn't mention it, AdrenaLinn III includes a tuner.

thank you guys. have had a quick look at all the units you mentioned. was probably more than what I was looking for but didn't realise that i'd be able to get so much for my money - the boss pedals that most guitar shops tend to stock are £60+ and only do 1 thing each so to get a whole multi-effects processor for less is pretty exciting! thanks for your suggestions and I'll keep a look out in the basschat marketplace after christmas for some bargains! thanks again. sparky

[quote name='Beedster' post='103071' date='Dec 12 2007, 09:02 AM']Sparky old chap. I have the Zoom in question and as I've just upgraded I'm likely to let it go. Let me know if you want me to bring it when we meet in a couple of weeks.
Chris[/quote]
Haha - Mr. Beedster! No Way! Which model zoom is it Chris? The one with the 'expression' pedal (B2.1) or the one without (B2)? Think I'd probably be after the more basic pedal - B2 - just want a 'fun stomp box' to mess about with really.. if there are 50 effects available, that's already 45 more than i want!.. oh, and need it to tune on stage. How do you rate the tuner function and what do you think of it in general?? How much would you be looking to let it go for... pm me if you like. cheers mate - sparky.

[quote name='Sparky' post='103099' date='Dec 12 2007, 10:05 AM']Haha - Mr. Beedster! No Way! Which model zoom is it Chris? The one with the 'expression' pedal (B2.1) or the one without (B2)? Think I'd probably be after the more basic pedal - B2 - just want a 'fun stomp box' to mess about with really.. if there are 50 effects available, that's already 45 more than i want!.. oh, and need it to tune on stage. How do you rate the tuner function and what do you think of it in general?? How much would you be looking to let it go for... pm me if you like. cheers mate - sparky.[/quote]

Hello mate, it's got the pedal, the tuner, a drum machine (pretty basic but good for rehearsing to), and a lot of models/FX. The god thing is it's bloody easy to use. I think they go on the bay for about £40?
Chris